Would you buy in TV from MLS broker?

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Question Would you buy in TV from MLS broker?

We will be moving to TV soon, and planning to buy our first home. Would love to hear from anyone who either bought or sold using an MLS broker rather than through TV. Why did you list through MLS vs TV? For those who already purchased through MLS broker, have you experienced any negative repercussions? Does TV keep score of those who buy from other brokers, and make it harder to obtain permit for landscaping and alterations, or even prevent buyers from getting a job at TV?
It's likely we will buy from TV broker due to the vast number of options available, but just curious in the event an MLS listing is an option for us. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
We will be moving to TV soon, and planning to buy our first home. Would love to hear from anyone who either bought or sold using an MLS broker rather than through TV. Why did you list through MLS vs TV? For those who already purchased through MLS broker, have you experienced any negative repercussions? Does TV keep score of those who buy from other brokers, and make it harder to obtain permit for landscaping and alterations, or even prevent buyers from getting a job at TV?
It's likely we will buy from TV broker due to the vast number of options available, but just curious in the event an MLS listing is an option for us. Thank you!
If you are buying a new home, you have to use a Village sales agent. Pre-owned is a different story. Regarding the "keeping score" and repercussions...are you serious?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Far as I know you can only buy resales for outside Brokers. IMO they don't keep track. Unless you're looking at previous owned home that contracted with outside broker you will be dealing with the villages sales department IMO. I sure former sales agents will ring in if my understanding of the system is wrong.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

If I like the home it would make no difference. You will need both type of agents to see all available. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:39 AM

New homes = The Villages only.

Pre owned homes = The Villages or MLS agent. They do not show/sell each other's listed homes.

For sale by owner. I believe MLS agent will represent a buyer if owner gives a buying agent fee (typically 3%). The Villages sales rep will not represent a buyer for FSBO home. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Buy the house you want!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Highly recommend you use two agents; one VLS and one MLS. That way you get exposed to everything on the market. Make sure you tell both agents that you are also working with another agent. I did this and both agents were completely agreeable to this. Be advised that there are significant differences in the sales contracts used by VLS and MLS. The developer controls what can and cannot be negotiated in the VLS contract. This may or may not matter to you depending on your particular circumstances, but now you at least know there are differences in the contracts. Also, if you only use an MLS agent you will not see all the used homes for sale because the developer does not share these listings with MLS agents. If you use only a VLS agent, you will not see all used homes because the VLS agent cannot show MLS listings. Only the VLS agent has new home listings, so if you want a new home you have to deal with a VLS agent. So use BOTH agents for best potential outcome.
One other caution; the developer is currently marketing some properties that were used as lifestyle rentals for several years. These are being marketed as new homes, when in reality they are seven/eight (approximately) years old. This is technically not illegal, but keep in mind that these homes have eight year old singles, eight year old appliances, eight year old HVACs, etc. I think you get the picture. Best to ask when a "new" home was built, just to make sure.
Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

The deed restrictions as to what is allowed and not allowed are clearly stated about landscaping and alterations. It would be hard to understand why such a huge and successful organization would care who sold anyone a home when considering them for employment.

Choose who you like to work with. Get one of each. This place is so wonderful.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-27-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

OK OP is asking for some honest opinions since they have never been here and not sure if there would be repercussions if they used in MLS person. There are many people who sell their homes on their own, so have not heard any issues from them.

I do know when we built our last house up north I had three builders to pick from I chose the builder which was not in good graces with some of the permit government employees. So yes and some areas there are repercussions on who you use.

But I truly believe in the villages that has never been an issue. If I am wrong please someone give your expertise on this issue.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Far as I know you can only buy resales for outside Brokers. IMO they don't keep track. Unless you're looking at previous owned home that contracted with outside broker you will be dealing with the villages sales department IMO. I sure former sales agents will ring in if my understanding of the system is wrong.
Th Villages sells hundreds of pre-owned homes a year...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:

Here is another thread on the two entities;

MLS or VLS
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Gold member

when we attempted to purchase a new home and we wanted a pool, the boundry lines would not accommodate the size pool we wanted.....

but....."so said the realtor who spoke with T&D", if we had T&D put our pool in, it could probably be done regardless of the boundry lines

So.....because T&D is a Villages entity, they could make the pool happen. If we used another pool company, the plans would not be approved...

take this advise as you will... we didn't buy that home....
Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

As stated if you are looking to buy pre-owned you need two sales people, one for showing Villages listed properties and one for homes listed by other companies. They do not cooperate. We bought our home using a MLS Realtor because it was listed by a MLS Realtor. The Villages doesn't keep score as far as I know. We also looked at homes listed by The Villages using their sales person. No problems with closing or getting I'd cards and gate passes and mail box keys.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
when we attempted to purchase a new home and we wanted a pool, the boundry lines would not accommodate the size pool we wanted.....

but....."so said the realtor who spoke with T&D", if we had T&D put our pool in, it could probably be done regardless of the boundry lines

So.....because T&D is a Villages entity, they could make the pool happen. If we used another pool company, the plans would not be approved...

Why? You could have used T&D and had the house you wanted and a mighty fine pool too....And maybe that is true and maybe it's not, but they know how to fit a pool into a lot for sure. Wonderful folks T&D.

But then I shop at Sam's even though they don't pay their help as much as Costco. Sometimes you just have to be unethical and corrupt.

And Deplorable
Old 09-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Why? You could have used T&D and had the house you wanted and a mighty fine pool too....And maybe that is true and maybe it's not, but they know how to fit a pool into a lot for sure. Wonderful folks T&D.

But then I shop at Sam's even though they don't pay their help as much as Costco. Sometimes you just have to be unethical and corrupt.

And Deplorable
T&D was $18k more in the pricing quotes that we got from other pool contractors...... for the exact same thing..... we felt they were charging us to bend the rules and we thought thats just not right.....
Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post

Wise decision. Unless the agent was willing to guarantee in writing that T&D could deliver, that statement was worth zero.
Closed Thread

Tags
mls, broker, buy, job, permit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.