Yet another BAD driver in TV

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Veteran member
Default Yet another BAD driver in TV

Shortly after 8 PM we were heading south on Buena Vista when we saw a car leave Nancy Lopez heading south in the NORTH bound lane. I leaned on my horn, but didn't notice any sign of acknowledgement from them. Intoxicated or just stupid - who knows.... I hope they didn't get creamed by oncoming traffic before they could correct their course at the next traffic circle. Also, around 3 PM we were almost struck by someone failing to stop at a STOP sign. Sure be glad when Easter gets here.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:49 PM

There will still be way too many incompetent drivers here, even in the summer. I'd be supportive of demonstrative, annual, drivers license TESTS for every driver over 60 years old, or whatever. Before commenting, be aware that I do recognize there are plenty of younger ones out there that drive in a very rude manner so this is not age discrimination. Just a way to possibly weed out those who truly CAN'T drive safely from those who just choose not to do so. Only good thing about those who CHOOSE not to is that they can be taught while the others are incapable of improving.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,237 Posts

OMG! This is one of the reasons that I try to stay in the RIGHT lane of two lane (or greater) highways, hoping the idiot going the wrong way will at least stay I the right lane......I know the round abouts can be confusing but come on, how in the world?????
I agree with the above poster that maybe there should be some form of testing to get license renewal.....
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
Shortly after 8 PM we were heading south on Buena Vista when we saw a car leave Nancy Lopez heading south in the NORTH bound lane. I leaned on my horn, but didn't notice any sign of acknowledgement from them. Intoxicated or just stupid - who knows.... I hope they didn't get creamed by oncoming traffic before they could correct their course at the next traffic circle. Also, around 3 PM we were almost struck by someone failing to stop at a STOP sign. Sure be glad when Easter gets here.
Why is that?

Old 01-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Gold member

I'm driving west on pinellas at 30 mph . A woman in a gold escalade is around 10 ft or less behind me . All of a sudden she starts to pass me . Remember it's double yellow lines. Another car his headed east and has to hard swerve to his right to avoid being hit. I hit my brakes so the nut passing me would get passed and not hit the other car. She did not even slow down but just kept speeding down the road. As I passed the other driver I came almost to a stop and as he looked at me ,he thru up his hands in disbelief . He had a very frightened look on his face. Moral of the story , be aware on the roads around here.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

A bridge player once left Lake Miona Rec Center and turned left at the circle! Fortunately, this was during the summer and traffic was light. This lady was not a newcomer. Sadly, she was just distracted and a bad driver to begin with.

I know of another person whose sight was so bad she had to use a lighted magnifying glass to see the cards. Her long distance vision wasn't much better. She drove herself everywhere in her golf cart.

Then there was the gentleman leaving trivia who decided going the wrong way at the square was perfectly legitimate thing to do since he was in a hurry and had had a bit too much to drink.

All three of these folks had lived in TV for more than a year and all were frogs. Bad drivers abound. To not drive defensively is downright foolish under any circumstances. To not do so here is downright suicidal.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Gold member
Default The biggest cause of accidents here...

Quote:
is age...go figure...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
is age...go figure...
I don't think age is the greatest cause of accidents here. There are incompetent drivers in all age groups here, and then that incompetency is worsened by having moved into unfamiliar surroundings with more traffic and more aggressive drivers who've adapted to "drive like a demon or be run over" in their former metro areas.

And there are a lot of garden-variety drunks.

I think everyone should be road-tested every 5 or 10 years.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I don't think age is the greatest cause of accidents here. There are incompetent drivers in all age groups here, and then that incompetency is worsened by having moved into unfamiliar surroundings with more traffic and more aggressive drivers who've adapted to "drive like a demon or be run over" in their former metro areas.

And there are a lot of garden-variety drunks.

I think everyone should be road-tested every 5 or 10 years.
I needed to hear that. I was just about to jump off the Morse bridge. sigh.

Thanks Friend.

Old Gracie.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
[QUOTE=njbchbum;1002303]Why is that?[/QUOTE]

Three guesses and the first three don't count.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Ok, I probably get bashed, but IMO (in my OPINION). It don't help with all the blind spots at round a bouts and coming out of most villages. Too high shrubs, palms blocking site of coming traffic. Also the consistent annual flower maintenance around round a bouts dangerous. The other day I rounded blind corner on Buena Vista orange cones twenty yards blocking left lane and guy in middle of the lane 5 foot beyond the cones. I was a least 5 MPH under the speed limit and verily had time to react let alone stop. Luckily nobody was tailgating me as usual or probably would of gotten rear ended When I slammed on my brakes. IMO nothing over two foot high should be planted 50 yards on intersections on the Blvd's. Enough blind spots without creating them.

The next intersection north of Lopez at Calumet Grove entry has lots of blind spots. I see near misses there all the time traffic coming south 35 plus MPH with the curve right there also.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
I'd be supportive of demonstrative, annual, drivers license TESTS for every driver over 60 years old, or whatever.
The AARP is too big a lobby ground in FL to let that happen.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Best response from my patient after they tell me they were driving- "Really, you drive? Do you think that is safe for yourself or others" Reply "I don't drive a car, just my golf cart" LOL ..gotta love them :-)
Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 AM

Yes, I agree the AARP and the insurance lobby would discourage anything that promoted driver safety through appropriate competency demonstrations. AARP doesn't really exist to make life better for older citizens. (Follow the money) Their main goal is to sell cleverly-packaged insurance. Greater numbers of incompetent drivers allowed to stay on the road, equals more accidents, equals more insurance policies sold at higher premiums, which yields increased dollars. Please consider who the lobby group is actually "protecting" and helping when they discourage stronger requirements for the privilege of driving. It's themselves, not the public.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Two years ago at age 65 I needed a new Minnesota license. They required that I be retested. Boy did I sweat that one! I agree that TV has some bad blind spots. And if chips in the tunnels tells you anything..go figure. Age considered, TV is going to get worse...sorry to say..like my 92 father-in-law told me about his driving at half speed in Mesa ..'the good Lord sent me here to slow people down' watch out for Gordy!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.