Yikes...Big Cat (Panther) in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
I was told to watch out for the cougars while I was here.
One could catch me as I cannot run that fast.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Sage

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
One could catch me as I cannot run that fast.
Remember, you don't have to outrun the cougar...only whomever you are with!!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:09 AM

I saw a similar cat a couple of years ago in my backyard. It did not have a short tail. I, too, have relayed it to people and have been questioned. It did not have a short tail. I live very close to Heron golf course.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraurauch View Post
I saw a similar cat a couple of years ago in my backyard. It did not have a short tail. I, too, have relayed it to people and have been questioned. It did not have a short tail. I live very close to Heron golf course.
fraurauch As stated in a post earlier my golf group saw the cougar on Pelican (2nd hole tee box.) you can tell it is not a bobcat (several of which I have seen here in 10 years) but b its long tail and distinctive hindquarter

I don't k ow why people are surprised given the rapid growth in florida is invading their domain
Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
:
Remember, you don't have to outrun the cougar...only whomever you are with!!
Yes. But with some "cougars" I might like to be caught.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

I sent a link of the photo to the Florida Wildlife Commission and received the following reply:

Yes, we did receive that picture through several outlets. In our opinion, it is a picture of a house cat based on the overall proportions of the animal. House cats have petite feet at the end of skinny legs and the cat is not much taller than the red-flowered shrub it is standing beside. A panther would stand over 2 feet tall whereas this cat appears to be no more than a foot tall.

Darrell Land
Florida Panther Team Leader
FL Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
298 Sabal Palm Road
Naples, FL 34114

Office: 239.417.6352

As I stated in my earlier post, a photo of something at the same spot, of known size, would help. And I do know the tail difference between a bobcat and a panther. I simply stated I have seen a bobcat at Heron/Pelican.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Eternal Member

There have been several photos posted of alligators or pythons or catfish showing critters of enormous size - but it is the camera angle or proportional representation.

Such as a alligator killed and hung up with the person standing several feet in back makes the alligator look monstrous in proportion to the man.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I sent a link of the photo to the Florida Wildlife Commission and received the following reply:

Yes, we did receive that picture through several outlets. In our opinion, it is a picture of a house cat based on the overall proportions of the animal. House cats have petite feet at the end of skinny legs and the cat is not much taller than the red-flowered shrub it is standing beside. A panther would stand over 2 feet tall whereas this cat appears to be no more than a foot tall.

Darrell Land
298 Sabal Palm Road
Naples, FL 34114

As I stated in my earlier post, a photo of something at the same spot, of known size, would help. And I do know the tail difference between a bobcat and a panther. I simply stated I have seen a bobcat at Heron/Pelican.
Thank you for providing the Florida Wildlife Commission's response. That was my suspicion from the beginning. An actual Florida panther would have an implausible journey from its only existing range on southern Florida. Plus there are so few of them.

Here is a link to learn more about them:

Florida Panther - National Wildlife Federation

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

When I saw the picture my first thought was, someone owns a Savannah Cat. I think they’re legal in FL.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Darrell Land
298 Sabal Palm Road
Naples, FL 34114

I can't speak to the photo you sent to Florida Wildlife but our foursome all stood in awe of a cougar/panther on Pelican watching it pause on the black tees and then swiftly move into the high brush. I assure you it was no kitty kat
Old 02-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Villages Florida

People always say Panthers are very rare this far north in Florida. Here's a photo taken east of Gainesville by a motion activated camera at 2am chasing a wild boar not long for this earth. If you search TOTV, you will find these reports in TV usually about the same time other posters report wild pigs digging up their yards near Heron Executive. If a poster saw one a couple of years ago at Pelican, that makes sense because it is right next to Heron. That seems like the area they always hang out when they come this way, the area just south of Lake Miona around Heron, Pelican and Hibiscus nine at Cane Garden.
Thanks for both the photo and information.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Never dispute someone who knows what he's talking about, but that's the biggest house cat I ever saw. He nearly fills that sidewalk.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

There are two kinds of panthers here in Florida, the real Florida panther and a cross breed. Often you hear there are no Florida panthers here or there meaning the authentic one. Males come north but only recently has one 'real' panther female r been north and it caused excitement that they might thrive as they are few.
One panther, not sure which of the two, passed a friend of mine who was out for a walk south of TV but I assume it was the cross breed. It didn't seem concerned with her only continuing quickly on its way. That's not how my friend felt at the time.
Bobcats lived in the bush near our home near Punta Gorda. They never bothered us but are suffering due to so many forests disappearing due to new housing developments.
I often think of how few problems the earth would have if there weren't so many people. We certainly have filled the earth and have problems to solve.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 PM

eat my dog and I eat the cat. I have a big walking tall stick and I will brain something like that in my villa.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, whaaat, big, cat, panther

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.