You have been warned

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts
Default You have been warned

thieves among us. Praying on golf cart in Parking lots with unsecured items (like golf clubs). No parking lot is safe. Anything you leave in or on your golf cart is subject to be gone if not secured. It only takes few seconds to unleash golf clubs and pack the off.
Same goes for cars left unlocked or visible items in the seats.

Don't be victim, watch for people surveying easy pick'ens When going into and coming out of rec centers. Remember, it's us they are stealing from. We are the one that will catch them in the act by being aware of our surrounding and report anything unusual.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[//

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-25-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Over the last 4 months I have personally known 4 people that been relieved of there property in the Rec centers parking lots While participating in activity. It also made the news paper off campus today. Why not just secure items left on golf cart especially expensive golf clubs that I bet they get maybe 100 bucks when pawned?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

It happened at the Spruce Creek Golf and Country Club but it has happened here not a lot but it can happen. People just need to be aware.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
It happened at the Spruce Creek Golf and Country Club but it has happened here not a lot but it can happen. People just need to be aware.
I agree, and I am always aware of my clubs. I park my cart in the back in the golf parking lot when I have lunch at country clubs. Also I have a lock on my bag. One of the reasons I have not replaced my very out of style golf bag that is still good is that no one would want it. No one has taken my golf gloves, or my cheese crackers ....except once or twice the birds. Very good advice, Top, but I thought you meant we had an avalanche of thefts here recently. If I am not playing golf, my clubs stay home.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree, and I am always aware of my clubs. I park my cart in the back in the golf parking lot when I have lunch at country clubs. Also I have a lock on my bag. One of the reasons I have not replaced my very out of style golf bag that is still good is that no one would want it. No one has taken my golf gloves, or my cheese crackers ....except once or twice the birds. Very good advice, Top, but I thought you meant we had an avalanche of thefts here recently. If I am not playing golf, my clubs stay home.
How does parking in the back of the golf parking lot help deter thieves? Do tell the secret!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Don't be cheap, people - buy one of those lockable bag covers at anyone of the country clubs for $49.95, less your 10% Villager discount. Run the cables thru the cart basket and loop it back to the front and secure everything with a lock (you'll have to provide it).

Additionally, try to park your cart in a more visible spot than the back of a parking lot, especially if you're going to be a cheapskate and not buy one of the covers. My wife and I each have one; spending $49.95 to save $2,000+ was a no-brainer.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Sage
Default Found... Lockable club cover

Found, one lockable club cover with master lock attached. Found at the entrance of the tunnel under 466A at Colony Rec Center tonight around 7:30. If you can unlock the lock, it is yours. Call 573-225-1740

Just posted in The Villages Friendly Folks group.

Timely....
Old 05-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Gold member

There's cause to be concerned, but you seem a bit over the top. Don't bring your clubs or other valuables to any parking lot other than the ones used by the golfers at the championship course or exec. parking lot.

That will take care of about 99% of the thefts. If you can't figure out how to leave your clubs at home perhaps the few(thousands play golf here)thieves will thank you....
Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
How does parking in the back of the golf parking lot help deter thieves? Do tell the secret!
Good question.

Common sense says that parking in an area with less people/cars, gives the the thieves a better chance at getting away with it.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post

I was not clear. At the country clubs here there are parking lots for golfers, usually to the side or back of the clubhouse. This is separate from the front parking lot for diners and folks who buy at the golf shop. There is usually a lot of coming and going as people finish their rounds, and stop for a cold drink and a bite. All of us golfers feel our clubs are a little safer there. Even with my clubs locked, I don't like to park out front.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was not clear. At the country clubs here there are parking lots for golfers, usually to the side or back of the clubhouse. This is separate from the front parking lot for diners and folks who buy at the golf shop. There is usually a lot of coming and going as people finish their rounds, and stop for a cold drink and a bite. All of us golfers feel our clubs are a little safer there. Even with my clubs locked, I don't like to park out front.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes way more sense to me now. It's where I always park, too. Maybe we will meet up in the golf cart parking lot sometime in the next 6 months!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 PM

I really appreciate the warning. Sometimes we forget there is crime almost everywhere (except maybe a monastery).

But for myself I have to be realistic. I am of an age where remembering what I had for breakfast sometimes is on a par with remembering how to do the math section in the SAT's. And being new to golf cart commuting, I have recently forgotten to take the keys out of the cart, left the lights on and didn't put the foot break on. Remembering to lock my clubs would just add another section to my SAT's. So if there is a wolf in our paradise chicken coop, and he is randomly lucky enough to pick on my cart, I will just contact my insurance company and at least limit my loss to $500.

However, there is an asset out there that I think could help this problem - those shiny white neighborhood watch cars driving around at 2 and 3 am. I truly wonder how many thieves they are scaring away. First, the most likely target would be an open garage door. I have walked around our neighborhood during that time when I could not sleep. The only one I ever saw open was mine, which I had forgotten close when I left for my walk. I think a patrol of these guys in the club parking lots during the day would prevent a lot more thefts than early morning patrols.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

Use you phone if you suspect something going on say nothing just snap a photo.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddave View Post
I really appreciate the warning. Sometimes we forget there is crime almost everywhere (except maybe a monastery).

But for myself I have to be realistic. I am of an age where remembering what I had for breakfast sometimes is on a par with remembering how to do the math section in the SAT's. And being new to golf cart commuting, I have recently forgotten to take the keys out of the cart, left the lights on and didn't put the foot break on. Remembering to lock my clubs would just add another section to my SAT's. So if there is a wolf in our paradise chicken coop, and he is randomly lucky enough to pick on my cart, I will just contact my insurance company and at least limit my loss to $500.

However, there is an asset out there that I think could help this problem - those shiny white neighborhood watch cars driving around at 2 and 3 am. I truly wonder how many thieves they are scaring away. First, the most likely target would be an open garage door. I have walked around our neighborhood during that time when I could not sleep. The only one I ever saw open was mine, which I had forgotten close when I left for my walk. I think a patrol of these guys in the club parking lots during the day would prevent a lot more thefts than early morning patrols.
Just keep this in mind, there AREN'T a lot of thefts of clubs OR carts. But it doesn't HURT to be careful. I have NEVER asked Sweetie which was most important, his clubs or me. I am not stupid.

Tags
golf, clubs, items, cart, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.