Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Few clubs locked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
A lot of people "Nine and Dine." that means golf clubs on the back of your cart. I would spend the $49 like mentioned above. Even though my clubs are a bit less than $2K. Okay, a lot less.
I have observed very very few golf clubs secured on the back of carts. What does this say? Most (including myself) just don't see the need. I've been golfing for many moons and I have never lost a club to a thief. The clubs I lost myself (leaving them on the course) have always been returned. Following a round of golf, I always park my golf cart with others who have also finished their round of golf. If others want to lock their clubs go for it. Fore.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Don't be cheap, people - buy one of those lockable bag covers at anyone of the country clubs for $49.95, less your 10% Villager discount. Run the cables thru the cart basket and loop it back to the front and secure everything with a lock (you'll have to provide it).

Additionally, try to park your cart in a more visible spot than the back of a parking lot, especially if you're going to be a cheapskate and not buy one of the covers. My wife and I each have one; spending $49.95 to save $2,000+ was a no-brainer.
Most Clubs I've casually observed are probably not worth the $49.95 to protect them. I'd love to tell an Insurance Co that my stolen clubs are worth $2000 even though I play pretty good with the ones I have.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancusa View Post
Most Clubs I've casually observed are probably not worth the $49.95 to protect them. I'd love to tell an Insurance Co that my stolen clubs are worth $2000 even though I play pretty good with the ones I have.
Depends on the deductible you have chosen. many insurance companies have agreements with companies to replace what you lost or was stolen.

Frankly I would not disturb my insurance policy for a small claim like this . also what you are suggesting is fraud

As to the cable locks while they are not full proof the fact remains that you at least let the theft work harder for his money. Nothing can prevent a determined thief but I am sure as heck going to make their path to my stuff exasperating as is possible
Old 05-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Depends on the deductible you have chosen. many insurance companies have agreements with companies to replace what you lost or was stolen.

Frankly I would not disturb my insurance policy for a small claim like this . also what you are suggesting is fraud

As to the cable locks while they are not full proof the fact remains that you at least let the theft work harder for his money. Nothing can prevent a determined thief but I am sure as heck going to make their path to my stuff exasperating as is possible
The thieves may be looking for the ball retreiver with the new grip!
Old 05-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
I understand that in Florida if a pawn shop has your stuff they are allowed to charge you for getting back your stuff even if it's stolen. Surely they must know if a meth head is pawning golf clubs they aren't his.
Pawn shop = legalized fencing! All I got to say about that.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Pawn shops have good Lobbists, your policitial system at its finest.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:05 PM

LOL. I am sure "Sweetie" has an old set buried somewhere to replace the old one and if the cart went with it, he wouldn't have to choose. Simply volunteer to be his caddy.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Even after ColdNoMore posted the applicable law, several persons have continued to post wrong information.

Pawn shops in Florida are licensed. Each item brought in is required to be listed on a form with a full description as well as the name and a thumb print of the individual who presented the item for pawning. If the item was "misappropriated" (stolen) then the person from whom the item was stolen absolutely does NOT have to buy it back. Does NOT have to pay any court or sheriff fees. The pawnbroker must return the stolen item to the owner and pay any court and attorney fees the owner incurred in recovering the item.
The pawnbroker may contest the claim of the owner but if he loses there are additional costs.

Please, don't make up stuff. It is fine to get it wrong based on an online news story, but once somebody posts the correct information, then really it seems that should end the erroneous postings.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Here is the Florida law: 539.001 The Florida Pawnbroking Act
15) CLAIMS AGAINST PURCHASED GOODS OR PLEDGED GOODS HELD BY PAWNBROKERS.—
(a) To obtain possession of purchased or pledged goods held by a pawnbroker which a claimant claims to be misappropriated, the claimant must notify the pawnbroker by certified mail, return receipt requested, or in person evidenced by signed receipt, of the claimant’s claim to the purchased or pledged goods. The notice must contain a complete and accurate description of the purchased or pledged goods and must be accompanied by a legible copy of the applicable law enforcement agency’s report on the misappropriation of such property. If the claimant and the pawnbroker do not resolve the matter within 10 days after the pawnbroker’s receipt of the notice, the claimant may petition the court to order the return of the property, naming the pawnbroker as a defendant, and must serve the pawnbroker with a copy of the petition. The pawnbroker shall hold the property described in the petition until the right to possession is resolved by the parties or by a court of competent jurisdiction. The court shall waive any filing fee for the petition to recover the property, and the sheriff shall waive the service fees.

(b) If, after notice and a hearing, the court finds that the property was misappropriated and orders the return of the property to the claimant:
1. The claimant may recover from the pawnbroker the cost of the action, including the claimant’s reasonable attorney’s fees; and

2. If the conveying customer is convicted of theft, a violation of this section, or dealing in stolen property, the court shall order the conveying customer to repay the pawnbroker the full amount the conveying customer received from the pawnbroker for the property, plus all applicable pawn service charges. As used in this paragraph, the term “convicted of” includes a plea of nolo contendere to the charges or any agreement in which adjudication is withheld; and

3. The conveying customer shall be responsible to pay all attorney’s fees and taxable costs incurred by the pawnbroker in defending a replevin action or any other civil matter wherein it is found that the conveying customer was in violation of this paragraph.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Gold member
Default re: your solen clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
It is true. I can verify this based on experience . You pay the pawn shop what they paid the that stole them, not what they are trying to sell them for.

One of my stolen club posts
I'm sure there is far more to this story. Far as I know, if a pawn shop buys anything that later turns out to be stolen the pawn shop needs to give the property back to the person it was stolen from and the pawn shop looses whatever they paid for it. If, the pawn shop told you you needed to pay them whatever they paid for the clubs you should have called the police.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I'm sure there is far more to this story. Far as I know, if a pawn shop buys anything that later turns out to be stolen the pawn shop needs to give the property backhttp://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-07-13/news/fl-pawn-stolen-property-recovery-20140712_1_pawn-shops-palm-beach-county-sheriff-property to the person it was stolen from and the pawn shop looses whatever they paid for it. If, the pawn shop told you you needed to pay them whatever they paid for the clubs you should have called the police.
Here is some clarification. Pawn shops: Getting stolen items back from the pawn shop can be a hassle. - tribunedigital-sunsentinel
Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Sage

That article describes exactly what I went through. The person who stole my clubs was caught and confessed to the clubs he had stolen and where he sold them. I worked with a detective to identify my clubs. Memory says they were in Fort Meyer at some 'Play It Again' shop.

I had to buy them back. If there was another way then the prosecutor and the detective did not recommend it. Possibly this was the most expedient way? This was in 2009, so details of exact conversations are blurry, but I did pay the pawn shop.

Taylormade r7 $35
Odyssey putter $15
Titliest and Taylor hybrid for $3/each
Callaway Big Bertha 3 wood $1

I did recover my money from the criminal after trial.

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-31-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Sage

Pawn shop = license to buy stolen property. Citzen buying stolen property = jail time. Maybe if citzen had disclosure clause says " this item is not stolen they to could get theyre money back. IMO I am willing to say or guess 80% or higher of ALL items in pawn shop are stolen.

Majority pawn shops don't want to cooperate with citzen or police about there 10 cent on the dollar purchase. That's why the got the 90 day rule on pawned items. Depending on state lobbing rules. Usually the poorer the state the better the lobbist have greased politicians and have rules in theyre favor.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, clubs, items, cart, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.