you think TV water is drinkable

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
How the tap water tastes in TV is somewhat a function of where your house is located. There are 4 different water source companies that serve TV with 3 of them proving potable tap water and the 4th just serves irrigation. Check the water quality reports of each of the 3 and you will see the water quality is different based on the source company. As for us, we drink the tap water, unfiltered, and it is probably not the greatest tasting water, but certainly drinkable. For more info: (the source is .... w.districtgov.org/departments/Utilities/utilities.aspx)

North Sumter County Utility Dependent District (NSCUDD) services approximately 46,138 residents.

North Sumter Utility (NSU) and Villages Water Conservation Authority (VWCA) services Districts #5, #6, #7 and #8 and a portion of District #9

NSU comprises 229 miles of potable water mains, 172 miles of sanitary sewer mains, 33 miles of sanitary force mains, 4306 manholes, 30 lift stations.

VWCA (irrigation only) comprises of 244 miles of Non-Potable water mains and hosts 1972 fire hydrants.
This is correct. Depends on where you are.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to BCEagle78

We live in Labelle and find the water quality acceptable and drinkable. We do mostly drink water filtered from the refrigerator. We did not feel the need to spend extra money to fix a problem that we don't really think we have.

Meanwhile, since we moved here, we sure got lots of water filter promotion promotions/calls/mails, etc... I guess it must be a profitable business the way they seem to market it.

Last edited by BCEagle78; 01-07-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Gold member
Default You are perhaps confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Don't need any expensive filter system- cut in a simple GE-whole house filter with the carbon element--change the filter every 6 months--haven't had to change the frig filter in 5+ years--simple way to go make sure to install a bypass when you're working on the filter--just in case
If, you have installed or reinstalled the filter bypass, you do not have a filter in your refrigerator.
As to not changing the filter for five years. If, you or others have a filter in your refrigerator-YOU DO IF YOU HAVE A WATER TAP IN THE DOOR AND HAVE NOT INSTALLED A BYPASS, the replace filter now indicator works on expired time not the amount of water that goes through the filter.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Thanks all.

I went to some of the links posted and ended up with the NSU-2015-Water-Quality-Report. It shows a lot that I do not understand. I also do not know the difference in soft or hard water so I goggled it.

Just to mention the hardness of the water (as to taste, I don't even give my dog the tap water; if I don't like it I can't expect her to like it).

So, what I get out of everything I have looked it is this...

North Sumter Utilities report says the water hardness is 173 mg/L
Hard water listed as high is from 121-180 mg/L
Hard water is both pro and negative.

I don't know if this has an effect on the taste. I drink purified water and it tastes clean and leaves no aftertaste. Its the aftertaste that gets me.

I see Nova is written about a lot and all positive, I would just like to taste water cleaned from a Nova system before I spend the money. If it doesn't remove the lingering taste, then I would have to look into something else. If it works and makes the water taste clean, then it may be the solution.

google these...
districtgov.org/departments/utilities/NSU-2015-Water-Quality-Report.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water

Last edited by TheDude; 01-07-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: the links
Old 01-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Thanks all.

I went to some of the links posted and ended up with the NSU-2015-Water-Quality-Report. It shows a lot that I do not understand. I also do not know the difference in soft or hard water so I goggled it.

Just to mention the hardness of the water (as to taste, I don't even give my dog the tap water; if I don't like it I can't expect her to like it).

So, what I get out of everything I have looked it is this...

North Sumter Utilities report says the water hardness is 173 mg/L
Hard water listed as high is from 121-180 mg/L
Hard water is both pro and negative.

I don't know if this has an effect on the taste. I drink purified water and it tastes clean and leaves no aftertaste. Its the aftertaste that gets me.

I see Nova is written about a lot and all positive, I would just like to taste water cleaned from a Nova system before I spend the money. If it doesn't remove the lingering taste, then I would have to look into something else. If it works and makes the water taste clean, then it may be the solution.

google these...
districtgov.org/departments/utilities/NSU-2015-Water-Quality-Report.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water
Kudos to you, for taking the time to research...and try to find actual facts.

In this day and age...that is becoming more rare.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Sage

Just a side note related to a few of these posts...

Water filters and water softeners are two separate beasts. If you get only one, you don't have the other.

FWIW, we have a filter. Hardness was not an issue for us.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 PM

Whenever we wash our hands and splash water on the sink or faucet it leaves water spots that dry and can be wiped off which I attribute to hard water or limestone in the water.

Refrigerator filter makes it drinkable as far as taste but I have no idea if it removes the minerals that are leaving spots.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Sage

Not really true. There are "hybrid" water softeners - they have a resin tank to do ion exchange and carbon and/or KDF to remove chlorine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Just a side note related to a few of these posts...

Water filters and water softeners are two separate beasts. If you get only one, you don't have the other.

FWIW, we have a filter. Hardness was not an issue for us.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Sage

They don't. You need a water softener to remove hardness buildup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress View Post
Whenever we wash our hands and splash water on the sink or faucet it leaves water spots that dry and can be wiped off which I attribute to hard water or limestone in the water.

Refrigerator filter makes it drinkable as far as taste but I have no idea if it removes the minerals that are leaving spots.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Not really true. There are "hybrid" water softeners - they have a resin tank to do ion exchange and carbon and/or KDF to remove chlorine.
Sorry, but if they soften AND filter, then they do both. But it doesn't change the fact that filtering and softening are two different processes, usually sold separately.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Sage
Talking

Let's talk spots, the spot you see is calcium, you can debate the water hardness here it is somewhat hard but not real hard.

Fact a softener only softens water it is not a filter, some have built in filters which are really not all that effective.

the spot or spotting you see is not all calcium, it has particulate matter (microscopic dirt ) attaching to it making it appear worse than it really is.

Remove the dirt the spots or spotting reduces about 75% visually.
Big difference.

When using the Nova Triple filter all that particulate matter is removed.

In fact it is removed to the point that only 7% of our customers opt for a softener.

Out filter sells for $575 installed, you can see if it meets your needs if not, you can add a softener.

We install a high performance unit only needing salt or the preferred potassium chloride added every 6 months, only back washing when needed.
The reason is our has a internal paddle wheel measuring the usage, thus saving salt/potassium and water.

We can add our softener for only $995,
*(others here over price theirs $2000-$8200, pretty shocking and that's without a filter)

One other point if you already have a softener any brand we can add out filter to it. We have done a lot of those add-ons

this is what a both look like together, softener on the left Whole house filter on right.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4362.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	65113  

Last edited by jimbo2012; 01-08-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Sage
Lightbulb

here's a pic of filters that were removed at 12 months, you can see all the dirt.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	dirty filter.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	65115  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Sage

Yes, that is correct - two different processes (ion exchange and redox/adsorption) to address two different issues (hardness and chlorine). Most of what I see installed by friends are "hybrid" water softeners, that remove hardness, filter sediment, and remove chlorine, such as the Sears Elite for about $600, the Water Boss 950 for about $600, and the Pegasus systems for a higher price. The Sears and Water Boss typically come from big box stores such as Home Depot/Lowes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Sorry, but if they soften AND filter, then they do both. But it doesn't change the fact that filtering and softening are two different processes, usually sold separately.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Yes, that is correct - two different processes (ion exchange and redox/adsorption) to address two different issues (hardness and chlorine). Most of what I see installed by friends are "hybrid" water softeners, that remove hardness, filter sediment, and remove chlorine, such as the Sears Elite for about $600, the Water Boss 950 for about $600, and the Pegasus systems for a higher price. The Sears and Water Boss typically come from big box stores such as Home Depot/Lowes.
The water boss 950 clearly states "reduce chlorine taste and odors"
not eliminate, BIG difference. it is a 22,000 grain capacity unit 20" foot print.

The Sears unit is $600-$800 (depends on model) again only states "Improve the taste and odor"
and "Reduce the unpleasant effects of chlorine and large sediment"
Requires an Internet connection
Looking at the owners manual I see no filters that address chlorine or sediment, so not sure how that claim is made.
It says "no filters to replace" how do filter with out a filter?

both of those units exclude installation at that price.

Pegasus has no filter at their low priced unit and a small carbon in their higher priced unit. No sediment filter at all. Pegasus in not a manufactured brand it is a label affixed to a generic softener.

Nova is 32,000 grain ours will eliminate chlorine taste/odor I have a complete water test by an independent lab to prove that. It takes a 14" footprint so uses less space. It is made by Pentair a recognized brand.

For those that are unfamiliar with Nova and myself.

I'm a resident of Fernandina, my back ground is aquarium marine filtration for over 40 years, I not only know filtration but water chemistry.

Feel free to call for more info on the water issues that affect us here.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Sage

The hybrid systems use KDF and carbon. You know this as it has been previously discussed. They backflush to remove sediment during the regeneration phase - already previously discussed. I have checked the chlorine level on a friend's Pegasus system and it was undetectable, as are my own chlorine levels after going through a 20"x4.5" carbon-block filter. There are several ways to accomplish the same result.

The grain capacity of a water softener should be matched to the typical water usage. Why? Because the systems typically regenerate based on water usage but with a maximum time between regenerations. A system with a higher grain capacity than needed for the maximum time between regenerations will waste salt, as well as cost more than needed. One size doesn't fit all which is why manufacturers make different sized units. For a couple in The Villages, a 22,000 grain capacity for a water softener is fine and a larger capacity will waste money. A family of 6 would benefit from a higher grain capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
The water boss 950 clearly states "reduce chlorine taste and odors"
not eliminate, BIG difference. it is a 22,000 grain capacity unit 20" foot print.

The Sears unit is $600-$800 (depends on model) again only states "Improve the taste and odor"
and "Reduce the unpleasant effects of chlorine and large sediment"
Requires an Internet connection
Looking at the owners manual I see no filters that address chlorine or sediment, so not sure how that claim is made.
It says "no filters to replace" how do filter with out a filter?

both of those units exclude installation at that price.

Pegasus has no filter at their low priced unit and a small carbon in their higher priced unit. No sediment filter at all. Pegasus in not a manufactured brand it is a label affixed to a generic softener.

Nova is 32,000 grain ours will eliminate chlorine taste/odor I have a complete water test by an independent lab to prove that. It takes a 14" footprint so uses less space. It is made by Pentair a recognized brand.

For those that are unfamiliar with Nova and myself.

I'm a resident of Fernandina, my back ground is aquarium marine filtration for over 40 years, I not only know filtration but water chemistry.

Feel free to call for more info on the water issues that affect us here.

Closed Thread

Tags
aftertaste, leaves, lingers, water, drinkable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.