Bike accident on 466 today (8/20)

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Default Bike accident on 466 today (8/20)

Riding my bike on the golf cart path along 466 today I came upon a terrible bike accident. Stopped to help. First ,if there is anyone who knows the gentleman I really want to hear how he is doing. Thinking about his friends that were riding with him also. I don't want to mention his name here only to respect his privacy.
That said I have a 2 nd reason for posting. I have seen and heard this sverdlovsk times in my years living here. The response time of the ambulance was extremely slow. Can't give a number but e person in the call center for911 was in Bushnell and could not understand where we were. I have not seen this happen with calls from an actual house. When I got sick a few years back I swear the ambulance was here in seconds. I have only seen and heard of it happening in public places ,car accidents etc.. Very unsettling.
Any insight
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

These folks can provide you the insight.
Welcome to Rural/Metro of Sumter County - 911 Emergency Medical Transportation, Patient Care, Certified Paramedics - Rural/Metro South
Old 08-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum member

When we went for CPR training it was pounded into us to say what county we were calling from first, then The Villages, then the street address because calling from a cell phone goes to the regional dispatch center. If you call from a landline they know where you are. That is why we will always keep a landline.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
When we went for CPR training it was pounded into us to say what county we were calling from first, then The Villages, then the street address because calling from a cell phone goes to the regional dispatch center. If you call from a landline they know where you are. That is why we will always keep a landline.
It sounds like 911 is not using the embedded gps signal. Kind of old school. I know Verizon phones are great in an emergency.
What is Wireless Enhanced 911?

Verizon Wireless routes 911 calls to designated emergency call takers, often local or county police, fire and rescue departments, known as Public Safety Answering Points or PSAPs. Verizon Wireless provides PSAPs with what's known as Enhanced 911 or E911 service where PSAPs have upgraded their equipment, which automatically provides call takers with the mobile telephone number and the estimated location of the 911 caller to assist them in dispatching emergency assistance. The most advanced form of E911 service is referred to as Phase 2.

Last edited by Indydealmaker; 08-20-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM

Great info. Thank you. Don't know how much more specific she could have been . Even gave the street # of the horse farm across the street. Regardless. I know the man was pretty seriously injured and will keep him in my thoughts tonight.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Also, Regional/Metro is in bankruptcy, so you may not be encountering the A team.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
Also, Regional/Metro is in bankruptcy, so you may not be encountering the A team.
All first responders have to go through the training...so A-team...I guess I don't agree with you. The idea was that the responders were coming from a distance and didn't know exactly where these folks were. There is that sub-station (actually there's 2) on 466 so not sure why one of those wouldn't have gotten the call. May have been an issue with the cellphone caller too.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
It sounds like 911 is not using the embedded gps signal. Kind of old school. I know Verizon phones are great in an emergency.
What is Wireless Enhanced 911?

Verizon Wireless routes 911 calls to designated emergency call takers, often local or county police, fire and rescue departments, known as Public Safety Answering Points or PSAPs. Verizon Wireless provides PSAPs with what's known as Enhanced 911 or E911 service where PSAPs have upgraded their equipment, which automatically provides call takers with the mobile telephone number and the estimated location of the 911 caller to assist them in dispatching emergency assistance. The most advanced form of E911 service is referred to as Phase 2.

land line 911 systems are old school. With all cell phones using gps locaters for emergencies, they need to update. More and more folks are eliminating land lines and going with only cellular phone service.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 PM

The problem is definetly where the call goes through. Another biker passing actually rode the approximate mile finally to the substation and that's when assistance arrived. Just a very scary situation.
Sill wondering how this poor man made out
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.