A curious writer on a walking tour...

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Default A curious writer on a walking tour...

Hello Villagers!

My name is Kent Russell. I'm a 30-year-old magazine writer/book author from Miami who is currently walking across + down the entire state of Florida. "Walkin'" Lawton Chiles was my inspiration -- but I'm not running for political office. I'm hoping to write a book about my home state and my journey through it.

Long story short, my traveling companion and I are nearing the Villages. I've read a lot about the place but have never been -- it sounds both fantastic and endlessly fascinating. I would love to learn more about it as we walk on by. Is there anyone in particular I should seek out or speak to? Is there anyone who would be willing to act as our guide, our Virgil-like cicerone to the Villages??

Apologies for coming out of left field with this message, but any suggestions or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Kent R.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Default walking tour of villages

Before i reply, what are your credentials? Name a few magazines & articles for which you have written.
Just want to make you are not part of posse for developer. Want you to write a fair & balanced review of the villages.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:15 AM

No problem at all -- I had some links in my initial post, but the moderators marked those as "spam" so I didn't include them.

If you just Google my name, "Kent Russell," the first result that pops up is the New York Times review for my book "I Am Sorry to Think I Have Raised a Timid Son." Aside from that, I have written essays and reported features for Harper's, the New York Times Magazine, GQ, ESPN the Magazine, the Paris Review, and many others.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
KR
Old 11-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here he is, so if you see this guy in TV help him out.

The Villages Florida

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/bo...-son.html?_r=0
Old 11-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I was raised in lakeland and went to school with Lawton's daughter. Farmers Market is today at Brownwood Square. Government Day is at Eisenhower Rec Center. If you are going to be here into early evening, check out the three squares--free entertainment from 5-9 every night. Pick up a copy if the newspaper. Lots of stuff going on. Have fun and stay safe. Roundabouts and Golf carts everywhere.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Email Reported As Spam

As some may recollect the last guy that said he was interested in writing about The villages left us in bad light. Some my want the attention but watch what you wish for
Old 11-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I was raised in lakeland and went to school with Lawton's daughter...
I was raised in St. Petersburg, same high school as Charlie Crist, St. Petersburg High. Actually he went to my high school, but I never met or saw him since he is 5 years younger than me.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

So, how close is "close"? Take a trolley tour (arrange it with The Villages' Sales Office at any of the squares). It will give you a fair layout of the land and some of the history. Talk to folks at the squares. Most of us are very much like the cute puppy -- wagging our tails and hoping you'll like us as much as we'd like to like you. Please don't think TV is a "Leisureville" because it is not (although some aspects are probably truer than most of us care to know about). Most of us are pretty ordinary, just long-lived.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicata View Post
Before i reply, what are your credentials? Name a few magazines & articles for which you have written.
Just want to make you are not part of posse for developer. Want you to write a fair & balanced review of the villages.
Really??
Old 11-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicata View Post
Trust but verify I like that...sensible... forward thinking
Old 11-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
As some may recollect the last guy that said he was interested in writing about The villages left us in bad light. Some my want the attention but watch what you wish for
We can only be shown in a bad light if we act inappropriately. Other than eating too much, I haven't done anything that would reflect poorly on me or the villages, nor have I done anything to bring attention my way. When my mom looks down, she is proud (mostly LOL).
Old 11-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr290 View Post
Hello Villagers!

My name is Kent Russell. I'm a 30-year-old magazine writer/book author from Miami who is currently walking across + down the entire state of Florida. "Walkin'" Lawton Chiles was my inspiration -- but I'm not running for political office. I'm hoping to write a book about my home state and my journey through it.

Long story short, my traveling companion and I are nearing the Villages. I've read a lot about the place but have never been -- it sounds both fantastic and endlessly fascinating. I would love to learn more about it as we walk on by. Is there anyone in particular I should seek out or speak to? Is there anyone who would be willing to act as our guide, our Virgil-like cicerone to the Villages??

Apologies for coming out of left field with this message, but any suggestions or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Kent R.

Are you here yet?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We can only be shown in a bad light if we act inappropriately. Other than eating too much, I haven't done anything that would reflect poorly on me or the villages, nor have I done anything to bring attention my way. When my mom looks down, she is proud (mostly LOL).
Villager Joyce when it comes to behavior I am as vanilla as they come. However such behavior by the majority here didn't stop the author of Leisureville from hyping exotic facts about TV to spice up his book and hence his sales. when it comes to reporting its not what the parties of interest expect its what the reporter intends

Personal Best Regards:
Old 11-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Here is a website for a local walking group. Maybe you can hook up with one of their walks.
The Walking Villagers - Home
Old 11-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ask anyone what they love about The Villages.

Take the Trolley Tour, pick of a copy of the weekly recreational news in ANY rec center.

Try to find litter or trash.

See into the souls of these young at heart residents who are enjoying life now, after shaping the world in many ways. You will find hard working successful people who have sacrificed and saved and chose to live HERE with like minded people.

Realize this whole place, all seven mile long beautiful place is a testament to Capitalism. And a family that worked hard and is still working. No. They WON'T grant you an interview, and very few of us know them well or at all.

Over half the people who live here paid cash for their homes. The houses and residents are newest to the very south. The older area is northeast of 441/27. You cannot buy a new home here with anything but a conventional mortgage. A large majority of people who live here are registered Republicans.

The squares are built with whimsy, so don't believe the fun writings on the buildings. There is entertainment on the squares 364 nights a year, but not on Christmas.

The amenity fee for everyone is right around $148 a month, regardless if their home cost under 100K or several million.

The average age is 62, but almost everyone will fool you. Try to see the many vocal and musical groups rehearse and check the art room in any of the regional rec centers. We have time to do what we love here.

AND be very, very careful what you drink. This is a warning.....there is something here that MAKES people want to join us.

Tags
walking, villages, state, kent, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.