» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Farmers' Market in Wildwood?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

Default Farmers' Market in Wildwood?

Hubby and I have been driving to the Market of Marion to buy wonderful fresh veggies there on Sat. mornings. I heard "through the grapevine" that there is a similar vegetable market in Wildwood. Does anyone know if there is, and if so, the dates and actual location. Thanks you'all.
Sandra

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Brown's I believe. Stopped by there today for the first time and was not real impressed. A nice clean place but the selection was sparse I thought. Definitely worth stopping by. It is on 301 just north of where 466 hits 301, probably a mile or so. My conclusion was that I'd just as soon hit the produce department at Publix. Had a lot of canned items too. Just my opinion others may swear by the place.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Sage

I've been to the Farmers' Market in Wildwood. It was near City Hall and I do believe we went on a Saturday morning. Wasn't all that impressed. On this day there weren't that many vendors and not that much produce.
Market of Marion has some of the best produce around IMO.

Lao Tzu
Webster's market
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

Default Webster's market

The largest in the area is "Webster". About 35 min. drive. South on Rt 301 about 10 mile south of Wildwood take CR 471 to the left. It is about another 10 miles on right. There is another one ( I do not remember the name) on right at a red light before you get there. This is a small flea market. Webster is HUGE. Monday's 7am till ?. Get there as early as possibble. By 830 am traffic is a "parking lot"
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Brown's I believe. Stopped by there today for the first time and was not real impressed. A nice clean place but the selection was sparse I thought. Definitely worth stopping by. It is on 301 just north of where 466 hits 301, probably a mile or so. My conclusion was that I'd just as soon hit the produce department at Publix. Had a lot of canned items too. Just my opinion others may swear by the place.
Brown's is not in Wildwood.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Gold member

Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

There is a market on 301, left at the light on 301 on Saturday mornings.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM

The market in Wildwood is in front of the city hall - just head south on 301 to Wildwood and you'll see it on your left as you go through town. Locals bring their produce on Saturday morning and I'm guessing there is no rent for them to pay. We were there a couple of weeks ago and there were not too many stalls as it was raining but we found the vegetables we needed and they were fresh. A must is the home made ice cream - $3 for a bowl which is plenty for two to share sitting on the steps of city hall - and you'll learn all about the 100 year old John Deere one cylinder four stroke engine which is providing the power for the belt driven churn!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
The market in Wildwood is in front of the city hall - just head south on 301 to Wildwood and you'll see it on your left as you go through town. Locals bring their produce on Saturday morning and I'm guessing there is no rent for them to pay. We were there a couple of weeks ago and there were not too many stalls as it was raining but we found the vegetables we needed and they were fresh. A must is the home made ice cream - $3 for a bowl which is plenty for two to share sitting on the steps of city hall - and you'll learn all about the 100 year old John Deere one cylinder four stroke engine which is providing the power for the belt driven churn!
Thanks for the added piece of info. The ice cream and history makes it worth an outing to me.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 AM

According to their web site it is called WILDWOOD GROWERS' MARKET.

http://www.wildwood-fl.gov/index.asp...-4AD1E4D57C1D}
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Sage

Question: Are you just assuming that the produce found here is local?

Having worked for a caterer when I was younger I had the chance to get our produce from one of those huge produce warehouses where produce from all over the world comes in and restaurants and other food producers would purchase. There would be many people there who buy cases of food for their 'local' produce stands.

In other words these 'local' produce stands were buying their product from the same source as supermarkets and others who just wanted good product at good prices.

Doesn't mean that these stands don't have good produce but don't just assume that it is locally grown produce. Make sure you ask about source if you are concerned.

Northern RI 1957-1989
Norton, MA 1989 - 2012
Village of Buttonwood 2012 to ?

"That's just my opinion - I might be wrong" Dennis Miller