Farmers' Market in Wildwood?

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Gold member
Default Farmers' Market in Wildwood?

Hubby and I have been driving to the Market of Marion to buy wonderful fresh veggies there on Sat. mornings. I heard "through the grapevine" that there is a similar vegetable market in Wildwood. Does anyone know if there is, and if so, the dates and actual location. Thanks you'all.
Sandra
Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Brown's I believe. Stopped by there today for the first time and was not real impressed. A nice clean place but the selection was sparse I thought. Definitely worth stopping by. It is on 301 just north of where 466 hits 301, probably a mile or so. My conclusion was that I'd just as soon hit the produce department at Publix. Had a lot of canned items too. Just my opinion others may swear by the place.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Sage

I've been to the Farmers' Market in Wildwood. It was near City Hall and I do believe we went on a Saturday morning. Wasn't all that impressed. On this day there weren't that many vendors and not that much produce.
Market of Marion has some of the best produce around IMO.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Webster's market

The largest in the area is "Webster". About 35 min. drive. South on Rt 301 about 10 mile south of Wildwood take CR 471 to the left. It is about another 10 miles on right. There is another one ( I do not remember the name) on right at a red light before you get there. This is a small flea market. Webster is HUGE. Monday's 7am till ?. Get there as early as possibble. By 830 am traffic is a "parking lot"
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Brown's I believe. Stopped by there today for the first time and was not real impressed. A nice clean place but the selection was sparse I thought. Definitely worth stopping by. It is on 301 just north of where 466 hits 301, probably a mile or so. My conclusion was that I'd just as soon hit the produce department at Publix. Had a lot of canned items too. Just my opinion others may swear by the place.
Brown's is not in Wildwood.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

There is a market on 301, left at the light on 301 on Saturday mornings.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM

The market in Wildwood is in front of the city hall - just head south on 301 to Wildwood and you'll see it on your left as you go through town. Locals bring their produce on Saturday morning and I'm guessing there is no rent for them to pay. We were there a couple of weeks ago and there were not too many stalls as it was raining but we found the vegetables we needed and they were fresh. A must is the home made ice cream - $3 for a bowl which is plenty for two to share sitting on the steps of city hall - and you'll learn all about the 100 year old John Deere one cylinder four stroke engine which is providing the power for the belt driven churn!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
The market in Wildwood is in front of the city hall - just head south on 301 to Wildwood and you'll see it on your left as you go through town. Locals bring their produce on Saturday morning and I'm guessing there is no rent for them to pay. We were there a couple of weeks ago and there were not too many stalls as it was raining but we found the vegetables we needed and they were fresh. A must is the home made ice cream - $3 for a bowl which is plenty for two to share sitting on the steps of city hall - and you'll learn all about the 100 year old John Deere one cylinder four stroke engine which is providing the power for the belt driven churn!
Thanks for the added piece of info. The ice cream and history makes it worth an outing to me.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 AM

According to their web site it is called WILDWOOD GROWERS' MARKET.

http://www.wildwood-fl.gov/index.asp...-4AD1E4D57C1D}
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Sage

Question: Are you just assuming that the produce found here is local?

Having worked for a caterer when I was younger I had the chance to get our produce from one of those huge produce warehouses where produce from all over the world comes in and restaurants and other food producers would purchase. There would be many people there who buy cases of food for their 'local' produce stands.

In other words these 'local' produce stands were buying their product from the same source as supermarkets and others who just wanted good product at good prices.

Doesn't mean that these stands don't have good produce but don't just assume that it is locally grown produce. Make sure you ask about source if you are concerned.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

Having worked for a caterer when I was younger I had the chance to get our produce from one of those huge produce warehouses where produce from all over the world comes in and restaurants and other food producers would purchase. There would be many people there who buy cases of food for their 'local' produce stands.

In other words these 'local' produce stands were buying their product from the same source as supermarkets and others who just wanted good product at good prices.

Doesn't mean that these stands don't have good produce but don't just assume that it is locally grown produce. Make sure you ask about source if you are concerned.
I think that is true for some of the vendors at the Marion Market. Some are local but I see others at the back of their trucks sorting the produce. I am guessing they are buying at the wholesale market in Orlando and then sorting out the less desirable stuff. If not, why would you haul bad stuff to the market?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Default Farmers Market Review

Has anyone been to the Farmers Market in Wildwood (mentioned in today's Daily Sun? The previous remarks have been less than glowing! I'm hoping there's been an improvement. Hoping to find some nice strawberries and tomatoes.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

I've been to Wildwood only once...always meaning to go again. The time we went it was near the time to close but we found amazing fresh produce for really inexpensive prices. This was a year ago in March. It is in the town square and obvious to find! We've also been to the one at Market's of Marion...mixed results there. Have had good (inexpensive) produce but last time the tomatoes looked great but were hard and 'woody'. I'd suspect they were shipped in that time. Next time I'll ask MORE questions and be a bit more selective. Ended up throwing the tomatoes out so not a good "buy" that time.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think that is true for some of the vendors at the Marion Market. Some are local but I see others at the back of their trucks sorting the produce. I am guessing they are buying at the wholesale market in Orlando and then sorting out the less desirable stuff. If not, why would you haul bad stuff to the market?
How about to make people think they are getting a bargain when really they are just getting the rejects from the major supermarkets? Buyer beward at Marion Market. Most of the produce I had purchased was rotten by the time I got it home. I learned my lesson and no longer waste alot of money there. If it wasn't good enough for a legitimate market it isn't good enough for me. I am an economical shopper but no longer get hoodwinked by inferior products.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

Last spring there was a weekly produce market in Lady Lake at the park just south of where 466 joined 441/27. I believe that a lot of the fruit & produce there was local.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.