gas or electric?

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2016, 05:34 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I certainly have an opinion, but I will not, because I suspect this is a fun TOTV game. It goes like this:
  • Create a new username
  • Bet with friends how many posts I can get from these old folks (I am one BTW)
  • Select a topic that may generate some interesting comments, e.g., battery vs gas, dog poop, crime, bad developer, bad restaurant, etc.
  • Sit back and watch

I could be wrong…
ajbrown: always logical and fair comments from you. Keep those comments coming
Old 08-22-2016, 03:13 AM

I have both electric and gas. Go for gas.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:25 AM

We've had both, and much prefer gas. If you buy a new one, they come w/ good insulation so they are much quieter than the older ones, and the exhaust is directed away so it's not sucked back into the cab. Also get a fuel injected model. They are not smelly plus u never have carb issues. I get over 50 mpg. I can go anywhere and never worry about if I can get back. If u have electric u will have an odd odor in ur garage from the batteries sulfating...a natural process they all go thru. The best vote for gas is go to The Villages Golf Cart Store and ask them which kind they sell the most of. They will tell u it's gas hands down in the last couple years. In the beginning it was battery models, but w/ the growth of TV, gas is the most popular now.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Default Are gas stations close?

Are there a lot of gas stations that are GC accessible?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The overwhelming majority of new carts sold are gas, mostly Yamaha, just look around or ask any cart salesman. If you need to sell it, the resale and demand is much higher for Yamaha gas models, especially the 4 seaters.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 AM

I have an electric cart (Atomic) and it runs about 60 miles on a charge with the air conditioning on at full blast, about 100 miles in the spring and fall with the A/C off. I live south of 466A and my wife was in rehab at The Club--about 15 miles, and about the furthest you can travel in The Villages. Never had an issue with the 30-mile round-trip. And the batteries are sealed, so no acid burns on the garage floor. There have been great advances in batteries in the past few years and there will be many more in the upcoming years. This improvement is being driven (no pun intended) by the research necessary to power electric cars. As electric cars get better and more popular, the batteries for golf carts will continue to improve as well.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeslayer View Post
are there a lot of gas stations that are gc accessible?
yes
Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdodwyer View Post
Dear TV Folks,
Moving to the Villages, should we go with gas or electric golf cart?
Hi, in response I will tell you this. I am retired, a long time in Engineering, we heard all the hype on carts, especially gas. Why? Because there is a gas pump at the cart store? Well, we bought Electric at AGC carts, they are near Bonefish Grill at that center. We love the electric EZ GO and I am a bit vocal about all the BS how we need gas, that is really BS!!!! About once a week I charge it, we do not play golf, but it takes about 4 hours max for a week, it costs about 15-19 cents an hour to charge, I verified this with SECO electric.
Quiet, clean and a real dream, the service is great, for the first year, they come to your house for service, no charge. bbbbbb
Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts
Default Gas v electric cart

We decided on electric and have never looked back...we got suped up batteries and I do not have a problem plugging in the cart to charge, I plug in dozens of things each day...gas carts are very polluting, much more so than cars, which have pollution controls on them...boils down to personal choice...experience both before you buy, We did and it helped us make the choice that was right for us...
Old 08-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

I have 2 gas carts and a 3 year old EZGO. I will sell the EZGO. Does that say it all?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Default Pollution concerns

My approach to my electric purchase was based on environmental concerns of both noise and air pollution. While sitting at restaurants outdoors it's very irritating to smell and hear carts constantly going by. I viewed a report done by a University that was converting their fleet of carts and utility vehicles that claimed gas cart pollution equal to that of seven cars! I chose electric.

Last edited by Bmacs; 08-22-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Sage

The Atomic carts use AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries - these are sealed lead acid batteries and have been used in some cars for over 20 years. It is not a new technology. The battery acid is saturated in a fiberglass mat as opposed to a flooded cell. I have been using AGM batteries in my car for nearly 20 years. The vast majority of cars use sealed, flooded cell lead acid batteries.

The batteries used in electric and hybrid cars are lithium-ion based - a different technology than lead acid (regardless of whether it is AGM or flooded). While you can buy lithium-ion replacement battery packs for golf carts, they carry a high cost. I believe it will be some time before we see golf carts from any of the major manufacturers with lithium-ion batteries (or another technology other than lead acid) as standard equipment. It may very well be 10 years before you see wide spread adoption of a battery technology other than lead acid in golf carts. In the interim, I will stick with a gas cart as they are inexpensive to operate, require little maintenance, have good resale value, and are very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillncea View Post
I have an electric cart (Atomic) and it runs about 60 miles on a charge with the air conditioning on at full blast, about 100 miles in the spring and fall with the A/C off. I live south of 466A and my wife was in rehab at The Club--about 15 miles, and about the furthest you can travel in The Villages. Never had an issue with the 30-mile round-trip. And the batteries are sealed, so no acid burns on the garage floor. There have been great advances in batteries in the past few years and there will be many more in the upcoming years. This improvement is being driven (no pun intended) by the research necessary to power electric cars. As electric cars get better and more popular, the batteries for golf carts will continue to improve as well.

Last edited by biker1; 08-22-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdodwyer View Post
Dear TV Folks,
Moving to the Villages, should we go with gas or electric golf cart?
Upon moving to The Villages over a year ago, I purchased a gas cart. It was noisy and my wife complained of a hot exhaust pipe near her legs. I traded it in on a new electric cart and couldn't be more happier. I can now play my portable radio while going down the road quietly. I routinely ride from the south end of Morse Blvd. to Spanish Springs and back with no loss of power. What is this talk about anxiety? These carts are good for lots of miles without any worry. It's very simple to plug the cart in at night. No oil changes, tune-ups or driving to a gas station to fill up. Sure, batteries must be replaced but they can last several years if properly maintained. Figure the cost of gas oil changes and tune-ups over the years. Electric is also much more environmentally friendly. You be the judge.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmacs View Post
My approach to my electric purchase was based on environmental concerns of both noise and air pollution. While sitting at restaurants outdoors it's very irritating to smell and hear carts constantly going by. I viewed a report done by a University that was converting their fleet of carts and utility vehicles that claimed gas cart pollution equal to that of seven cars! I chose electric.
Seven cars. SEVEN? Do you have the link?

We chose gas because you rarely see a gas cart along side the road abandoned. There was a time I could easily hoof it home from just about anywhere. But now not happening.

I think the air quality here is bad, just AWFUL because of the constant dirt and dust suspended in the air, probably because of construction and think how much those big earth movers emit. We live in a construction zone even though most of us no longer abut one. AND another thing that we have is teeny tiny insects that fall with the rain lately. They are everywhere and get in your hair and get ground up from the cars and you breathe in their little body parts........My allergies are off the charts, it is like living in a jungle with all of the pollen from the rapidly growing everything. And noise pollution...I'll say, loud mouth talkers at restaurants with a snootful.

(How'm I doin'? I am practicing negative, it is a new language.) It is very uncomfortable.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-22-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
You are going to get more advice than you ever wanted. All of it conflicting. Try both and make your decision.
Fredman, you gave the best advice anybody could give!
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, electric, golf, cart, dear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.