gas or electric?

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM
Sage

This is a never ending argument, gas or electric.

I read sometime ago that the average village user their cart for 13 miles per day. Whether that is true or not, is for each individual to decide.

I prefer electric because of the quite ride and not having to smell fumes. I usually hold my breath when entering tunnels, as most of the time, there is an exhaust type smell. I've also smell gas carts as they take off, when riding behind them.

My guess is the riders of gas carts don't smell their fumes but those of us behind them do. My nose is sensitive to the smell of smoke/fumes so I am an electric person. If a gas cart is excessively smelly, I will pull off the road and wait a couple of minutes so I can breath fresh air but that's me.

I believe there was an old thread that discussed whether gas or electric was less expensive to own. Don't remember that result.

It's a matter of preference whether gas or electric, fits someone's lifestyle better.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran member
Default GAs or Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdodwyer View Post
Dear TV Folks,
Moving to the Villages, should we go with gas or electric golf cart?

We did a lot of looking, lots of evaluations. Well, we bought from AGC carts, got the EZ Go ELECTRIC and love it for sure. Good people to work with, good service, the first year, they come to your home for service or pick it up even if necessary. It can happen in a new cart.

AGC is located on CR 101 near the Bonefish GRill a good place to eat by the way.
Good luck. bbbbbb
Old 11-12-2016, 01:52 AM
Chaser

I just bought and I think I can simplify the answer: If you are a big golfer OR you feel you will be putting many miles on yours on a given day gas is your only choice. But I am not a golfer and I bought electric. EZ-GO electric carts are the most sophisticated electric versions of the three, Yamaha, and Club Car. Electric are faster because they are much more power efficient than gas. That may sound strange for a ~22mph race but I'll tell you I drove both and the electric are much more responsive. The newer EZ-GOs get about 40 miles a charge. That's plenty enough for 18 holes and a trip to the store off one charge.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Sage

Just about any gas cart can easily exceed the 20 mph speed limit for golf carts and electrics with relatively new batteries have plenty of range. There are many reasons to select one type of cart over another but speed and range are not issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
I just bought and I think I can simplify the answer: If you are a big golfer OR you feel you will be putting many miles on yours on a given day gas is your only choice. But I am not a golfer and I bought electric. EZ-GO electric carts are the most sophisticated electric versions of the three, Yamaha, and Club Car. Electric are faster because they are much more power efficient than gas. That may sound strange for a ~22mph race but I'll tell you I drove both and the electric are much more responsive. The newer EZ-GOs get about 40 miles a charge. That's plenty enough for 18 holes and a trip to the store off one charge.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Default Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I also find having a conversation, without raising your voice, is much easier in an electric cart.

At the same time, I also understand where some might have 'distance anxiety' and prefer to own a gas cart.

Being centrally located near LSL, I have yet to find a corner of TV that I couldn't drive to, play 18 with a passenger and still make it home easily.

But it really is to each their own.
It depends on how you plan to use the cart.I have a gas cart.
I live in Lynnhaven,drive to Belle Glade,play 18 holes,back to Lynnhaven,take a shower,drive to Happy hour at SS and return after dark to Lynnhaven with the lights on.
Can an electric cart with 3 year old batteries handle this trip?
That would be about 30 miles on the road and over 4 hours on the golf course.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Just got the new 2017 Yamaha cart. Sooo quiet I can hear the little noise of the passing battery carts. The ride is excellent for a golf cart. No batteries to charge or replace. Fill her up every 200-250 miles and change oil once a year. Someone else can now enjoy maintaining the batteries of my 2 year old EZGO.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=JoMar;1274810]Still don't understand distance anxiety......have had two electrics for two years and have never had a place I couldn't go. We live below 466A and often go to SS for a show at the Sharon, have also played OB on the historic side and came south. As stated, I just don't understand it. Yes, we do charge it every night....it's really not that hard to put a plug in a recepticle. I have an auto fill on both carts and and use it every 3 weeks....that's 5 minutes each time....a lot less then driving to a gas station. As others have said, you can check the threads the battle fields but I also agree that you might want to rent both (for a month or two each) and see which you find environmentally compatible with your lifestyle.

bbbbbb Response

HI, we have an EZ Go and love it, absolutely no problems. The AGC firm, Golf Carts near Bonefish Grill has been wonderful, they come out on short notice as we have had minor electric wiring problems, really minor.
People on here have mentioned fumes. Well how about this? When you burn one pound of gas, about one pint, it takes 14 pounds of air to completed combustion, if and only if it is properly tuned and a lot more air if it is not tuned right and I see and hear a lot of not properly tuned units on the paths. So, then a minimum of 15 pounds of combustion products go out the exhaust pipe.
So, you do not smell it? You do not feel the burning in your eyes? You do not know what is going into your lungs? Grab a chemistry book, basic, check combustion. Have you seen the huge lineup of gas carts at the maintenance shops?
Charging electric? About once a week, I plug it in for about 2 to 3 hours. Love it with the auto watering, quiet, no odors, no jerky flywheel clutch. No distance anxiety, NONE. No reservations on this electric cart at all. AGC Carts, wonderful.

bbbbbb
Old 11-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Just got the new 2017 Yamaha cart. Sooo quiet I can hear the little noise of the passing battery carts. The ride is excellent for a golf cart. No batteries to charge or replace. Fill her up every 200-250 miles and change oil once a year. Someone else can now enjoy maintaining the batteries of my 2 year old EZGO.
I've heard now from different sources that the 2017s are super quiet and have a nicer ride as well. We'll be buying when we move down in a few months at these are at the top of my consideration list. I'll also want to hear what the different dealers offer in a way to differentiate themselves. We definitely want side lights, 3-point safety belts and probably an fold-down rear seat but don't have many demands beyond that. I understand custom seats are a thing but don't know if they are a must-have or not.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran member
Default carts, gas or electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm a fan of electric carts. I find gas carts noisy, even the new ones.
Perhaps gas carts aren't smelly from the driver's perspective, but I think they are smelly if you're riding in the back seat.
Or if you're driving behind one. And really smelly in tunnels.
Just one opinion, and you'll get many!
From bbbbbb

Some comments here indicate a need for some clarity.
So here goes. To burn one pound of gas in an internal combustion engine, that is about one pint, 8 pints to a gallon. You will need 14 pounds of air to burn that one pound of gasoline, IF AND ONLY IF THE ENGINE IS TUNED AND RUNNING PERFECTLY. So then out the exhaust you will have 15 pounds of the following items:
H2Ovapor, CO, CO2, NOx, and Unburned hydro carbons.
Do you want to breath and smell this stuff? Hey you have no choice, it is in the air, in the tunnels and it surrounds you daily. The debris is in the air and in your eyes. Early at Auschwitz, the Germans used auto gas exhaust to kill thousands of people quickly. Gas was a premium, so they switched to the other gas as it was easier to just pour it in from the roof of the buildings containing the unsuspecting Jews etc.
So now sit back and relax, buy electric and help to clean up the environment for all.
From another posting, I will add, if you get the automatic battery watering system it really is great and efficient.
bbbbbb
Old 11-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Sage

The amount of gas burned by golf carts is insignificant compared to automobiles and trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
From bbbbbb

Some comments here indicate a need for some clarity.
So here goes. To burn one pound of gas in an internal combustion engine, that is about one pint, 8 pints to a gallon. You will need 14 pounds of air to burn that one pound of gasoline, IF AND ONLY IF THE ENGINE IS TUNED AND RUNNING PERFECTLY. So then out the exhaust you will have 15 pounds of the following items:
H2Ovapor, CO, CO2, NOx, and Unburned hydro carbons.
Do you want to breath and smell this stuff? Hey you have no choice, it is in the air, in the tunnels and it surrounds you daily. The debris is in the air and in your eyes. Early at Auschwitz, the Germans used auto gas exhaust to kill thousands of people quickly. Gas was a premium, so they switched to the other gas as it was easier to just pour it in from the roof of the buildings containing the unsuspecting Jews etc.
So now sit back and relax, buy electric and help to clean up the environment for all.
From another posting, I will add, if you get the automatic battery watering system it really is great and efficient.
bbbbbb
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, electric, golf, cart, dear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.