Hi, from Hamburg, GERMANY

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Default Hi, from Hamburg, GERMANY

Hi, I am Peter Schoebel from Hamburg in Germany
I am buying a house in The Villages, closing will be next week, in the historic part : Orange Blossom Gardens, to rent it out ( long term )
Before I am asking for advices I will read in the posts
but if someone know a native german speaker I would like to get to know him or her
Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Herzlich Willkommen. Es gibt viele deutschsprachige Menschen, die in den Dörfern leben. Wir haben zwei deutsche Clubs. Werden Sie leben ganzjährig oder nur saisonal?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Hi graciegirl
nein, leider werde ich noch nicht in "The Villages" leben. Erst wenn ich in Rente gehe oder wenn ich eine Greencard in der jaehrlichen Lotterie gewinne.
Ersteinmal soll das Haus vermietet werden. Da es unmoebliert ist, denke ich an eine langfristige Vermietung. Sollte das nicht klappen werde ich es moeblieren und zumindest im Januar, Februar und Maerz vermieten. Was ich gelesen habe, sollte das eher einfach sein.
Gruss aus Hamburg
Peter
Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Sage

fun trying to figure out your conversation with my very small knowledge of german! as gracie said, there are two german clubs here full of people who speak german! ask your realtor to put you in touch with both clubs....willkommen!! many british people are buying here, too....you are making a good investment!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Gold member
Default Becoming very International!

I know of at least one Icelandic couple who rents, and have met an owner from Scotland while playing golf. Wonder how many part-time overseas residents we really have here?

I also golfed once with someone from Britain who rents their place out during high season and comes for the other 6 mos. She said where she lives in Britain that their summers aren't much different from their winters. I believe it - spent a week in July in Durham, England once, about an hour south of the Scottish border. Natives said the same thing. Seems like a great way to finance a part-time Florida lifestyle, and you'd get great weather spring and fall in The Villages.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber View Post
Hi graciegirl
nein, leider werde ich noch nicht in "The Villages" leben. Erst wenn ich in Rente gehe oder wenn ich eine Greencard in der jaehrlichen Lotterie gewinne.
Ersteinmal soll das Haus vermietet werden. Da es unmoebliert ist, denke ich an eine langfristige Vermietung. Sollte das nicht klappen werde ich es moeblieren und zumindest im Januar, Februar und Maerz vermieten. Was ich gelesen habe, sollte das eher einfach sein.
Gruss aus Hamburg
Peter
this is what he said

No, unfortunately I will not live in "The Villages". Only when I retire or if I win a green card in the annual lottery.
First of the house should be rented. Since it is unfurnished, I think of a long term rental. If that did not work I will furnish it and rent at least in January, February and March. What I've read, this should be rather simple.
Greetings from Hamburg
Peter
Old 06-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

There's a German woman who sometimes comes to Doggie Doo Run Run once in a while. Of course, they have a dachshund. She married an air force member who must have been stationed in Germany or something like that. Name's Maggie. Not sure what her German name is.

I have had fun trying to read the German. I have a few years of college German at the University of Nevada, Reno and a Quarter of German for Graduate Students at the University of Minnesota. I also took Dutch, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, and French but dropped some of these. I was getting kind of Napoleonic in my pursuit of foreign languages while at the University of Minnesota. Even flunked Reading Italian for Graduate Students while at the University of Minnesota because I had too many irons in the fire.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Herzlich Willkommen. Es gibt viele deutschsprachige Menschen, die in den Dörfern leben. Wir haben zwei deutsche Clubs. Werden Sie leben ganzjährig oder nur saisonal?
Hi graciegirl
just a short summary what happens meanwhile :
the closing was on a Tuesday and on Thursday I have already signed a 4 months lease contract to someone from TV waiting for their new house. Not a long term rental but long enough to manage all the thinks to be done like hiring a home watch, lawn care and mowing and so on. Nearly everything is done but I am still looking for a german speeking tax person and attorney. Maybe you know one ?

Thanks
cucumber
Hamburg, Germany
Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

Hallo Gracegirl,
nice to see that you speak and write German, too.
Ich kann es auch, so sind wir schon einige mehr in der Gruppe (I do speak German too, now we are some more in this group).
Greetings
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Sage
Default Pig Latin anyone?

I speak fluent Pig Latin, would that help?? Wish I knew how to speak a foreign language.....
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I speak fluent Pig Latin, would that help?? Wish I knew how to speak a foreign language.....
Have you heard the old saying I herad many times in Europe (in jest):

What do you call someone who speaks three or more languages? Multilingual.

What do you call one who speaks two languages? Bilingual.

What do you call one who speaks only one language? An American!!!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Gold member

Two of my greatest regrets are not having my grandfather help me with German and the piano. I loved to listen to him play the piano.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.