Home upgrades suggestions

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Attic stairs, preferably aluminum, epoxy on the garage floor.
Remember that if you put in attic stairs you will need to use them, which means storing stuff. After a couple years the attic becomes the black hole where stuff disappears. I agree with the epoxy on the garage floor. If you can find a home you like with a 3 car garage jump on it......we have lost a couple neighbors because the garage was just not adequate.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-20-2016, 04:58 PM

Yes we had attic storage above our garage here. Took almost 175 boxes down as we are preparing to sell the house. Hope to leaven that load as I don't relish moving all of that stuff across country just to re-store it. From these suggestions today we have added flooring for the house and garage as must do's prior to move in.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 PM

Most new homes here come with the bare minimum in the way of gutters, mainly just around the entry. Count on $400 to $600 to have the whole house done. The other thing no one has mentioned is whole house surge protection. You can rent this monthly from SECO the electric supplier or buy your own thru the electrical contractor that did your house which in the long run is more economical.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:25 AM

We removed all the carpeting and replaced it with laminate, installed a whole house water filter system, upgraded the doors and locks and installed privacy landscaping. There were other improvements, though for us these were the most important.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is my opinion that the one thing most people move to another home here for, because they do NOT have it in their present one, is a golf cart garage or a bigger garage. Remember for not just your vehicles, but for other storage and projects. It is in essence your basement.
so true. and try to have the laundry system in-house & not in garage. also avoid lanai so close to yr neighbors.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
Tankless water heater.
If on the outside of the house how do you protect it if it freezes.
How does this speed up the delivery of hot water to the master bath?

I would look toward a regular hot water tank and a pump on a timer that circulates hot water through the house. Set the timer for the times you normally need hot water. This will save water. But it may cost you more to hear the water. Should cost about $500 or less to install.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Storage space - kitchen and garage
Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 AM

The storage space is minimal. Get a golf car garage. Get rid of stuff before you move. Epoxy garage floor before you arrive. Install pull down ladder in garage. Everything else should be delayed unite after you arrive. You we be in a hurry to get everything done as soon as possible. Take your time. See what is available. Do not fall for the water quality pressure salesmen. Decide for yourself. The classified section in The Talk is a great place to find odds and ends. You are not moving here for the house. You are moving here for the activities that take place outside the house. Concentrate on that and enjoy.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Default ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stings View Post
We are planning on buying a house in TV this fall after our house here is sold. In looking at homes for sale in TV I noticed that there's often references to upgraded AC, water treatment, tankless water heaters etc. My question to all of you is, what upgrades would you have made to your home knowing what you know now? Are there some that you think are more necessary than others? Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Just a few suggestions that I wish I could have done when we built. Builder would not let me do things I wanted when we built, but I think they are more flexible now. Stretch EVERYTHING as much as possible, every direction....Stretch the lanai and the garage for sure. Be aware that different home styles have different size garages. (Look up the floor plans for all the models you are interested in and compare floor space) For example, the Gardenia model garage is much smaller than the Lantana model. If you have the money and are building, I would have the area behind the golf cart garage built out. You can either make it a workshop, or an exercise room or a huge closet.....it is great extra space and is much cheaper built in the beginning than adding on later. These homes do not have a lot of space, so stretching helps....if your lot will allow it. Put in upgraded carpet and granite. Actually, I would put in Quartz as I think they are allowing that now. I like it much better than granite.
Have the garage floor painted BEFORE you move it. You will be glad you did. Hope these ideas help some.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Has anyone ever carpeted the Garage floor with indoor/outdoor carpeting? We have done it several times and it looks great and doesn't wear. Just cut the Roomba loose once a week...Beautiful...
Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Platinum member

We had the popcorn ceiling replaced with knockdown finish, installed hardwood flooring, 5 1/2 inch baseboards, new ceiling fans, granite counter tops/backsplash in kitchen and baths, tall toilets, plantation shutters, upgraded all kitchen appliances to stainless, installed farmhouse sinks, installed pull out shelves in all the lower cabinets, and had all cabinetry refinished/new hardware. We decided not to have crown molding because we didn't think it would look right with the angles of our ceilings. I also had a Versa Lift installed in the garage.

Of all these improvements, I highly recommend the pull outs and the tall toilets. My wife, who has much finer aesthetic appreciation than I, would recommend all the other stuff.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Gold member

To solve the problem of insufficient A/C storage, we closed in our nook and built a walk in pantry. Best thing we could have ever done!

We have a Sunflower (Same floor plan as Begonia) and decided with the dining room table, the bar which seats 4 and the 30ft lanai, we did not need another place to dine. We needed storage!

The area where the nook is entered from the foyer we made into an mirrored alcove which I use to display seasonal decor. We love the walk in pantry it is 6ft x 7 ft and with floor to ceiling storage it is a life saver!

Luckily Hubby was a builder and I designed several of our homes, so we could look at the floor plan and knew that this was a great way to tweak the area for our personal use.

We have a view lot and also added a 12ft slider to the living room. We have 2 sliders now. We moved the original slider to the dining room, so we have 21 ft of glass opening onto our lanai and our view. We think the view is the best part of our home. So glad we built when they were still doing custom in 2014, so that we could tweak that. I don't think we would have gone to the trouble to tear out a wall and add the slider. The pantry was super easy!

We also stretched all that our lot would allow. We did the garage stretch all the way to the back of the house. Many people stop at the garage. By extending it to the back of the house we were able to add 2 ft to our laundry room and master bedroom. We certainly did not need the bedroom space, it is a generously sized on the standard plan, but the additional room in the laundry room is a real plus.

We feel very fortunate that we bought at the right time to make the custom changes that we wanted. We love our home!!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySevens View Post
If you have the money and are building, I would have the area behind the golf cart garage built out. You can either make it a workshop, or an exercise room or a huge closet.....it is great extra space and is much cheaper built in the beginning than adding on later.
That sounds like a great idea but are you sure it would be more expensive to add later?? I've heard that after market additions would be cheaper.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Platinum member

Pull-outs in cabinets, attic stairs, attic fan, garage door insulated,
tiled lanai, alarm system, Nova water filter, landscaping,
and my favorite, Master Bedroom closet system.

We took our time and did it over 2 or so years.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Three things we did immediately were to epoxy the garage floor (when it was empty), have crown molding installed throughout the house (and got a discount because the house was empty), and have all the bedroom closets dismantled, patched and painted (with new bedroom colors) to have The Container Store custom closets installed. We had the closet measurements in advance and had The Container Store design them for us and ready to go at settlement. Something we wish we did was to paint the laundry room, at least behind the washer and dryer before it was installed. We would also recommend having any flooring changes done before moving furniture in.

After move in, we have had gutters and attic steps installed. A tip on the gutters is to wait to see where water runs and puddles (or stains) to see if you need to route some of the gutter drains out underground. We found we needed to extend the front gutters underground.

We also have had recessed lights installed in a bedroom, living room, and the dining room area (where we removed the chandelier, replaced it with a fan and made it more seating area). We used the smaller (4 inch) recessed cans instead of the larger ones found in the kitchen and elsewhere in the house, and they are on a dimmer switch. We liked this idea for getting more light into the house instead of solar tubes. Over time, we have also replaced almost every interior and exterior light bulb with LED lights. (Start with your outside lamp post and kitchen recessed lights to get the most immediate electricity savings.) Another item we did was to have a quad electric box (for four plugs) installed in the place of a two plug box in the master bathroom. We could only do the interior wall, but wished that we could have done this for all master bathroom outlets. (Ladies have a lot of items to plug in!)

These were the enhancements we made in the first year. We have now moved on to doing an addition to the lanai. We mention this solely because we have a lot of neighbors who have been in TV for less than three years who wish they could make changes to their properties, but their lot lines won't allow it or won't allow the size of what they would want to do. Be familiar with the set backs of your lot, preferably before you buy....as this is key to knowing why the average Villager moves three times within TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrades, house, water, home, made, knowing, question, insight, give, upgraded, fall, sold, suggestions, planning, buying, references, treatment, tankless, heaters, homes, sale, noticed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.