Hurricane shutters?

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Question Hurricane shutters?

Greetings, from soggy Southeastern Virginia!

The hubs and I are wondering if the HOA at TV has a policy or covenant that covers the installation of permanent hurricane shutters (whether wood or metal).

As a life-long resident of the Tidewater Virginia area, and a veteran hurricane survivor, I know well the value of hurricane preparedness, especially covering windows before an approaching storm. This was reinforced this past weekend, when a large tree limb came within 3' of our bedroom window during Irene...fortunately, we had covered the windows on the east side of the house with plywood the night before. With TV located in the middle FL, we would be about as close to the coast (in either direction) as we are now in Suffolk, VA...and we certainly know that we are and would be within easy reach of a large tropical system.

While we are at this point still able to wrestle with large sheets of plywood, I don't think either of us will want to mess with them when we approach our 70's, and we would definitely want to look into the option of permanent / automatic storm shutters. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions concerning this? Does anyone have permanent storm shutters that could provide insight into their installation, cost, maintenance, and ease of use?

We also heard that garage doors at TV are storm tested and certified, but cannot find any actual references to this...any clarification you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:48 AM

When you arrive in TV you'll have to have faith. Remember that we are under the protection of The Great Bubble. It encapsulates us and keeps the major storms away (for the most part). I don't know anyone who has hurricane shutters here in TV. A couple of years ago I was at our annual emergency preparedness open house and I specifically asked a captain of our emergency response teams about where to go in the event of an approaching storm. She asked me if I lived in a manufactured home and I replied that I had a new ranch home south of 466. She immediately said "just stay where you are", remove any possible flying objects from around your home or in your lanai. Other than that these houses have been constructed to the highest hurricane standards and are the safest place to be, away from windows that is. She also commented that TV is where people in the smaller communities of northern Sumter County will be coming for possible protection (all roads lead to TV). So, I don't think you need worry about the expense or hassle of hurricane shutters. Save the $$$ and go out for dinner at some of our fine restaurants. Welcome!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Platinum member

If you're concerned about breaking windows, 3M makes a film that can be put on your windows that cannot be breached. We saw the demo when we had the film applied to our home, but didn't feel that it was necessary. The demo showed a man throwing a cinder block at the window and using a hammer on the window. The glass shattered, but did not fall off the film(if that makes sense). A bullet would probably make a hole, but not completely destroy the glass.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM

New construction in the state of Florida is required to have storm resistant garage doors. Even our 14 year old designer has large beams on the garage door. Over the years the state required standards have just gotten stronger.
Many of the new requirements can't be seen once the home is finished.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
When you arrive in TV you'll have to have faith. Remember that we are under the protection of The Great Bubble. It encapsulates us and keeps the major storms away (for the most part). I don't know anyone who has hurricane shutters here in TV. A couple of years ago I was at our annual emergency preparedness open house and I specifically asked a captain of our emergency response teams about where to go in the event of an approaching storm. She asked me if I lived in a manufactured home and I replied that I had a new ranch home south of 466. She immediately said "just stay where you are", remove any possible flying objects from around your home or in your lanai. Other than that these houses have been constructed to the highest hurricane standards and are the safest place to be, away from windows that is. She also commented that TV is where people in the smaller communities of northern Sumter County will be coming for possible protection (all roads lead to TV). So, I don't think you need worry about the expense or hassle of hurricane shutters. Save the $$$ and go out for dinner at some of our fine restaurants. Welcome!
I agree. Have lived here 4 years. We are in more danger from tornados than hurricanes. We head for the walk-in closet during a weather alert.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Gold member

Hello mrsnjp. Cannot answer your questions. But I too am in SE Virginia. Right next door to Suffolk in the Western Branch area of Chesapeake. Where in Suffolk are you? Is your power back up? Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainsley View Post
Hello mrsnjp. Cannot answer your questions. But I too am in SE Virginia. Right next door to Suffolk in the Western Branch area of Chesapeake. Where in Suffolk are you? Is your power back up? Look forward to hearing from you.
@ tainsley: We are in eastern Suffolk, just off the 58 Bypass, at Wilroy Road. Surprisingly, our power was back on by mid-morning on Sunday...a welcome sight, since we were in the dark for 5 days following Isabel. We lost a few limbs out of our big hickory tree, and had several fly-ins from the neighbor's gum tree, but that was about the worst of it for us...thank goodness. I hope you and your family were able to escape Irene relatively unscathed.

How neat to see that there are others in our area who are interested in TV! Have you been down for the LSV, yet (or do you already own property)? We're trying to get down there to taste the koolaid and get a general lay of the land...just can't seem to get the scheduling right, yet.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Gold member

We got our power back late Monday afternoon. Just had to stake some trees up. We were lucky this time. Remember Isabelle? We did the LSV in June 2010...loved it! We went back in October 2010...just to make sure TV really existed...loved it even more! Rented a house for the month of July in The Village of Glenbrook...we bought a CYV before heading back to VA! We are very excited. I have to sell my house here (do you know anyone looking for a house in Western Branch) then we will be heading down to TV. You will absolutely love TV! There is no place like it! If you are ever in the neighborhood, let me know!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:46 AM

@ tainsley: I'm turning three shades of jealous that you'll be in TV so soon...we're still several years from being able to relocate to Lower Paradise. I'll definitely keep an ear out for anyone looking for a home in the Western Branch area...in the meantime, I think you're supposed to "bury St. Joseph?"

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnjp View Post
@ tainsley: I'm turning three shades of jealous that you'll be in TV so soon...we're still several years from being able to relocate to Lower Paradise. I'll definitely keep an ear out for anyone looking for a home in the Western Branch area...in the meantime, I think you're supposed to "bury St. Joseph?"

He is in the ground! We have a few friends from VA Beach and Great Bridge who have recently moved to TV or are headed down in the near future. Also, met a few couples from Chesapeake (Great Bridge and Deep Creek areas) when we were in TV back in July.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM

Wow, that 's quite a few people from "the 757" who have, or will be, relocated in Lower Paradise! Maybe we need to start our own club!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnjp View Post
Wow, that 's quite a few people from "the 757" who have, or will be, relocated in Lower Paradise! Maybe we need to start our own club!
The 757 Club!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post

I was just going to ask a similar question and you seem to have covered all the bases quite well. We were just wondering if the worst case scenario would be due to the WINDS and not flooding such as Vermont has experienced. Is flooding an issue at all in The Villages or vicinity?

My husband seems to think that the sand would absorb the water more quickly?

Flying debris we "understand" and would take care that does not happen.

Thanks for any other tips..........also, has anyone now living in TV every lived through a hurricane in either Lake County or Marion County???? Meaning in recent memory. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainsley View Post
The 757 Club!
Another 757'ner checking in.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Veteran member

Last edited by mrfixit; 09-01-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: off the topic of thread
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.