Lifestyle visit in January

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Default Lifestyle visit in January

Hi! We're Jim and Kathy and coming down for a lifestyle visit at the end of January. Just wondering from all you fine folks that have done this already is there one particular thing you regret you didn't do or wished you had done on your visit? What is the average temp at that time? All comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Platinum member

The Lifestyle visit is a great way to introduce people to The Villages. The sales pitch is not a pressure deal where they try to force anything on you. (The Villages sells itself) Our visit was four days and we got so busy that we didn't use all the coupons for eating. Find the time to use them all. My one complaint is the 12 mph golf carts they lend you. But otherwise a great experience. Bring your checkbook. Good luck
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Sage

I regret having to leave.

Your first post. to TOTV.

Suggested things to do as posted by hotrodgirl:

I had my LSV in May of this year and enjoyed it very much! I also am a very young retiree and already have a place in south Florida. But I wanted somethig with a bit more activity and a better social atmosphere. So I spent a week at TV and ended up buying a lot in Gilchrist. My build began on Sept 26th and I will close on Dec 5th! In your package will be 2 passes which are good for the rec centers, golf courses, and other areas of TV. Definitely take the trolley tour and perhaps the boat ride on Lake Sumter. Go to the town squares, speak with anyone and e eryone as it truly is a friendly place where people come to have a good time in their retirement! There is entertainment at the squares and market nights. You will get a paper each morning which will list homes for sale, local activities and the entertainment. Also included will be a golf cart which you can drive around on the trails. It is a beautiful area with lots of friendly folks. Enjoy your stay and make an informed decision that is right for both of you!

Don't forget your checkbook.

BTW - I agree with Tom. The golf cart they give you is slow. Have fun.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Thanks 2B for the quote! I did leave out one thing. I did not get to any country clubs to eat, and suggest you do that. I did visit a rec center and was surprised at all the activity! The others are right on regarding the golf cart though... Slow as molasses!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 PM

One thing we didn't do that everyone raves about is the trolley tour. We were so busy with other activities and friends that we missed it completely.Still managed to buy a model home that we will close on Dec.6th. Yipee !
Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the info...looks like the trolley tour goes on our to do list.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buckeyes View Post
Thanks for the info...looks like the trolley tour goes on our to do list.
The trolley tour is a good way to see TV from one end to the other, and to see some major landmark places to help you navigate on your own.

TV is huge, but yet has small-town friendliness because of the town squares and subdivisions of villages and neighborhoods.

Definitely go to the squares at night and talk with people around you. Most are very happy and proud of our community.

And be sure to bring your checkbook.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM

We made the mistake of only booking 4 days ; a wk might be better.
They showed us all new homes
All were small Well decorated but small
Then, we decided, why not look at resales?
And voila, we fell in love w the 2 nd pre loved house we saw ( had all the extensions, plantantion shutters and ceiling fans throughout, granite, the works)
So, don' t discard the pre owned homes, bring your checkbook, ( you won 't be pressured because like all have said, TV sells itself.

enjoy your stay!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
We made the mistake of only booking 4 days ; a wk might be better.
They showed us all new homes
All were small Well decorated but small
Then, we decided, why not look at resales?
And voila, we fell in love w the 2 nd pre loved house we saw ( had all the extensions, plantantion shutters and ceiling fans throughout, granite, the works)
So, don' t discard the pre owned homes, bring your checkbook, ( you won 't be pressured because like all have said, TV sells itself.

enjoy your stay!
I agree with Lbmb -- look at both new and preowned homes during your lifestyle visit to get the full picture of what is available in The Villages. Ask questions of the people you meet in restaurants, the squares and in stores if you do any shopping. Most people are very glad to answer questions and to share their experiences living in The Villages. Have a great time during your LSV, and welcome to TOTV.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Thanks again for all the info. How's the weather at the end of January? Should we bring shorts, pants or be safe and bring both?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage

When we had our Lifestyle Preview, we thought TV was a gated community. We thought we had to be accompanied by a VLS or MLS agent (or a resident) to drive through existing Villages. In retrospect, we were stupid because we never asked the question! We just observed the agents go through card procedures at the gates, and we made the wrong assumption that the communities were gated to the outside world.

So, if I had it to do over again, I'd drive around a lot more (in a car) and check out existing Villages. P.S. We bought a resale anyway, shortly after our LSP. We bought a house after we returned to Canada, from a MLS listing on the internet, without ever seeing it. Best decision we ever made.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buckeyes View Post
Thanks again for all the info. How's the weather at the end of January? Should we bring shorts, pants or be safe and bring both?
Average Temperature for end of January is High of 70 and low of 49
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabonkmontage@msn.com View Post
Average Temperature for end of January is High of 70 and low of 49
It's 29 right now but at least it's dry and no snow.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 AM

29 degrees??? That is about what it is in New Jersey. Please make January warmer. I will be there for the month of January and want lots of sunshine and warmth.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie416 View Post
29 degrees??? That is about what it is in New Jersey. Please make January warmer. I will be there for the month of January and want lots of sunshine and warmth.
Bobbie..

I believe the poster, Buckeyes, was telling us what the temperature is in the Buckeye state...Ohio.

Bring jackets for the morning and evenings for January. But the sun usually makes the middle of the day pleasant here in lower Paradise.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.