New here and want to pick some brains on internet...

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Default New here and want to pick some brains on internet...

Hello All. the misses and I just moved here from Denver, Colorado. I always like to pick the brains of the folks I live around. In Denver, we cut the cable chord and went with an antenna and streamed everything else thru our Roku and other devices. Who do you all use for your internet and are you happy with them? I know at our condo out in Denver that Centurylink was horrible during the prime part of the day after folks got home from work ie- low quality streaming, mass buffering etc. due to all the people on it. Any problems like that here? Thanks in advance folks. Hope to talk to and meet all of you soon.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:48 PM

We have Century Link for our Internet and land phone but have Direct TV instead of Comcast and we are pleased with both.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Depends on where you are.....below 466A Brighthouse seems to have a pretty good rating from people that have it. If you do a search on here you can find a lot of threads on the subject.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

For the best customer service from my experience in The Villages it's Brighthouse and it's no contest. However they are relatively latecomers to The Villages and not available in every Village.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Sage

For internet, it seems most folks have Comcast and overall it's very reliable. They offer different speeds. Their customer service and pricing can be difficult, however. We tried to get CenturyLink but they couldn't supply over 10 mbs in our neighborhood. Faster speeds are available in the areas where they've laid fiberoptic cable.

Tom, who advertises on this forum, can give you good advice. He put an antenna in our attic over 2 years ago and we use Roku. We're satisfied with this arrangement.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Eternal Member

I've had Comcast for years. Great internet.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Sage

We do the same thing: antenna and Roku boxes. If you want a "landline" phone, the voice-over-IP phones are a good deal. We use CenturyLink (without any issues and $35/month including taxes and fees) but any of the 3 choices will work for internet access (Comcast, Brighthouse, and CenturyLink). If you want an antenna, talk with Tom at VillagesAV.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Hello All. the misses and I just moved here from Denver, Colorado. I always like to pick the brains of the folks I live around. In Denver, we cut the cable chord and went with an antenna and streamed everything else thru our Roku and other devices. Who do you all use for your internet and are you happy with them? I know at our condo out in Denver that Centurylink was horrible during the prime part of the day after folks got home from work ie- low quality streaming, mass buffering etc. due to all the people on it. Any problems like that here? Thanks in advance folks. Hope to talk to and meet all of you soon.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:22 PM

I had Centurylink and it worked fine. I cancelled the service due to problems with billing on the cable TV side. I'm investigating Comcast now. A word of caution about Centurylink, when they did the install of their DSL they cut off the coax cable whip that is used to install Comcast internet. I guess they are trying to make it harder for people to switch internet service providers. It won't stop me but now I need to have a new coax cable pulled to get Comcast installed. Another step courtesy of Centurylink's installer.

I had an over the air TV antenna installed and will also be adding a Roku. I'm now officially a cord cutter.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Comcast bad, went back to Direct TV.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 PM

We tried to get Brighthouse (we are South of 466A) and were told that they could provide the services we needed. When they came to install, we were informed that we didn't have a TV line to our house. Another person would have to come out and bore a hole under our driveway to put the line in. The next day they sent someone who said he didn't know why he was at our house as he doesn't do this and would try to put in an order. And, they charged our credit card $164.00 (which they did refund). Everyone at Brighthouse was very friendly but at the end of the day, we gave up and went with Century Link. So, if they say they can provide service, check if you have the TV line to your house.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM

Are there any Comcast plans that offer better upload speeds than their Blast! product (which I have and like, but wish the upload were better). The last time I looked I couldn't find any information on their website about this. Other than the 2 gigabit plan, all the other plans they show are 75 megabits down and 10 up (the former being an underestimate as I almost always see better than that, the latter being laughable as I almost never see anywhere near that).
--
Bob C

Last edited by rexxfan; 09-29-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:49 PM

I have been having lots of problems with CenturyLink internet. They have serious Latency problems which knock down your internet. Download the NetUptime Monitor to see just how bad it is. During the heavy usage times, lots of 5, 10, 30, 90, etc. sec. outage. I have even had it knock out the internet phone. They do not have enough thru put to handle the busy times.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

I live south of 466A in a new courtyard villa purchased in February. I called Brighthouse as my first choice and they told me they didn't serve my area. They were wrong because they had a cable junction box in my front yard. I cannot recommend a company that doesn't even know where they provide service. So, I went with Comcast. I have to say that I have been very satisfied with everything they provide including the customer service.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Default prices for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
Welcome to The Villages. If you want great customer service with smiling happy people answering the phones, Brighthouse it the company for you. If you want the best products available, Comcast Xfinity is the way to go.

Comcast currently has 30 Mbps for $29 or 90Mbps for $39

Full disclosure : I'm a Comcast dealer.

Also, If you have any antenna questions, give us a call. We've installed over 400 antennas in The Villages. We know a thing or two about OTA. [emoji2]
how long are these prices garanteed for? do u have to sign a contract? also what is best price for catv and internet combined, i dont want a phone line or a security sytem? just best price , at what speed?
Old 12-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Sage

I have CenturyLink via fiber to the house and it is very reliable and delivers the upload/download bandwidth they advertise. Are you in an older area with copper-based DSL instead of fiber? If you do have fiber then call customer service because your experience is by no means typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin1 View Post
I have been having lots of problems with CenturyLink internet. They have serious Latency problems which knock down your internet. Download the NetUptime Monitor to see just how bad it is. During the heavy usage times, lots of 5, 10, 30, 90, etc. sec. outage. I have even had it knock out the internet phone. They do not have enough thru put to handle the busy times.
Closed Thread

Tags
folks, denver, brains, internet, pick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.