New Home - Old Neighborhood

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Default New Home - Old Neighborhood

Hi everyone! We finally sold our home in Maryland and are here in TV renting for a month, pending the purchase of a new home in an old neighborhood. Don't know if this is a good decision or not. We liked the idea of a mature area, closeness to shopping, etc., but a new home - in Silver Lake. Any comments?
Also, we'll soon be looking for advice on health care (primary is medicare, secondary is BC/BS PPO), golf cars, furniture stores, and hairdresser (her). Advice - or should we just review these posts?
Thanks!
Redneck & Hillbilly
Old 09-17-2016, 08:03 PM

Welcome to TV -- and to the neighborhood! We are just up the road in Country Club Hills! We have been here two years and we love it! It's so beautiful and quiet on this side, yet we are just over the golf cart bridge from lots of stuff to do! Plus, my favorite (so far) golf course (Hilltop) is here! Buy a used golf cart until you figure out exactly what you want. don't let anyone who knocks on your door sell you any service. Just check this site. These fine folks have never steered us wrong!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGranny View Post
Welcome to TV -- and to the neighborhood! We are just up the road in Country Club Hills! We have been here two years and we love it! It's so beautiful and quiet on this side, yet we are just over the golf cart bridge from lots of stuff to do! Plus, my favorite (so far) golf course (Hilltop) is here! Buy a used golf cart until you figure out exactly what you want. don't let anyone who knocks on your door sell you any service. Just check this site. These fine folks have never steered us wrong!
Spot on!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

Go for it. The new areas are really far from the squares. The newest square is still far from the newer neighborhoods.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:05 PM

Love to walk there it is beautiful and with the new construction value is there as well , have fun!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch42 View Post
Hi everyone! We finally sold our home in Maryland and are here in TV renting for a month, pending the purchase of a new home in an old neighborhood. Don't know if this is a good decision or not. We liked the idea of a mature area, closeness to shopping, etc., but a new home - in Silver Lake. Any comments?
Also, we'll soon be looking for advice on health care (primary is medicare, secondary is BC/BS PPO), golf cars, furniture stores, and hairdresser (her). Advice - or should we just review these posts?
Thanks!
Redneck & Hillbilly
With regard to the health care, Villages made this somewhat confusing. Suggest that you do some serious research before jumping into the ADVANTAGE plans. You need to be very careful, if you have serious health concerns, Medicare and a supplemental are a much better choice (IMHO). Also, if your existing BC/BS is employer supported, your choice has already been made, VHS does NOT accept this if you are over 65. You can do a search on this site for key words, HEALTH, SUPPLEMENT, ADAVANTAGE, etc, and you will get lots of info and some misinfo. Also, contact SHINE (do a search on SHINE) for unbiased info on health care.
Hope the helps, and a big WELCOME to The Villages.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It depends on how easy you make friends and who your neighbors are. I would lean towards giving location priority over an new or old neighborhood.

Then when you move in invite your closets 20 neighbors in for a drink as soon as you can if not sooner. Don't worry about getting the house set up first. If you need chairs I would ask if anyone can bring their own. I would go door to door so you can talk to each person and also give then a written invitation (can be printed on computer).
Old 09-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Thanks!
Redneck & Hillbilly
Welcome Home. Who wouldn't want a beautiful new home over here. Any criticism I have encountered was because the person was just misinformed. This side is fantastic so far. You have a wonderful community pool at South Side and another at Hilltop. People here will stand on their head and spit chicklets to help you out, you just have to ask what you have on your mind. It is a bit more stressful moving from out of state. The best advice we got was to take our time and just take a breath. Furniture and Golf carts are a walk in the park, my wife found a great hairdresser on the first attempt...a true miracle.....your gonna love it here. Take Care.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I bought a new home in Silver Lake 14 months ago. We love it here.

It is very convenient and very quiet. Also with the rehabilitation of this village, I expect these new home to appreciate faster than those in other areas.

Let me know when you move in.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Sage

Welcome ... the best is yet to come!
Old 09-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Sage

Congrats. Best wishes as you start living the dream.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Thanks!
Redneck & Hillbilly
What part of Maryland? We came from the Bel Air area in 2011, Go O's!! Go Ravens!!

I joined this board about six months before we moved here, I had a whole notebook of facts and names and numbers. That search button at the top of the page will save you a lot of time any money. Here's some of the contractors I used and had good luck with, all of these had a lot of recommendations on this site.

The Villages Properties - Tony Trussler 352-753-2270, our Villages salesman, he's really good.

Painters - Investment Painters 352-446-7334, they advertise on this site and painted the inside of our home the day after closing, which is before the furniture arrives.

Landscaper - Design & Landscape by McGowin 352-274-4189, we had all the grass removed from our courtyard villa (CYV), and palm trees and various shrubs planeted along with a new irrigation plan.

Shades and Awnings - RK Products 352-430-4430, they live in The Villages (TV), have fast service and quality products.

Air Conditioning - Chuck Farrel 352-78709497, he's reliable, fast and priced right.

Plumber - Kiley & Sons 352-753- 7586

Blinds & Shutters - Blinds 4 Less 352-753-5003, installed plantation shutters in our whole home. Priced right, fast service and reliable.

Handyman - Tim "the Toolman" Miller 352-217-0561, one of the most important people you'll need. Everything was putting knobs on cabinets to installing attic steps in the garage. He double shelved our master closet making it twice the size. He's usually very busy, so plan a week to ten days before he can arrive.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:33 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome and great advice! This will be invaluable as our closing is set for next month. Any other recommendations you might have will be appreciated. We look forward to meeting folks and becoming part of the Villagers. We lived in Maryland the past 36 yrs. and the last 23 in Bowie. Yes, we're O's and Ravens fans and also cheer for the Nats since they're in the other league. DW is the Redneck, originally from Oklahoma & Kansas and DH is the Hillbilly, coming from West Virginia. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Health etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
With regard to the health care, Villages made this somewhat confusing. Suggest that you do some serious research before jumping into the ADVANTAGE plans. You need to be very careful, if you have serious health concerns, Medicare and a supplemental are a much better choice (IMHO). Also, if your existing BC/BS is employer supported, your choice has already been made, VHS does NOT accept this if you are over 65. You can do a search on this site for key words, HEALTH, SUPPLEMENT, ADAVANTAGE, etc, and you will get lots of info and some misinfo. Also, contact SHINE (do a search on SHINE) for unbiased info on health care.
Hope the helps, and a big WELCOME to The Villages.
Hi
I believe you mentioned comuters earlier, how do you feel about building one or doing an upgrade?
bbbbbb
Old 09-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Been in Silver Lake for 16 years. Great side. Close to everything.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, advice, neighborhood, health, care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.