New to TOTV from New Orleans

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Default New to TOTV from New Orleans

Hi: This is my first attempt at joining in. My husband and I live in the New Orleans area and are considering a visit to TV to explore possibilities. This site has helped tremendously and I'm so happy I found it! Thanks! Irma and Ronnie
Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Sage

Good morning. Welcome to Talk of The Villages. I hope you find the site helpful, friendly and fun.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Sage

irmajean, Welcome to TOTV. This is a great site for wannabees to get info. about moving to and living in The Villages. I get info. about TV every time I log onto TOTV, and reading TOTV makes my visits to The Villages more productive.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Sage

Forgot to mention, if you are considering a visit to The Villages, if you contact the sales department, they can arrange a 4 to 7 day Lifestyle Preview visit for you. I took it last year, and I was put up in a beautiful, large designer home next door to Lake Sumter Landing.

As I write this post, I am renting a really cute home in the Historical Side of The Villages that I wish I could buy right now...
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Gold member

Welcome to TOTV.
This site is invaluable for getting information - plus it is fun!

If possible come for a lifestyle visit as mentioned. They are not free but not only cheaper than a hotel but you get a pass to partake in all the Villages activities plus some bonuses.

We have been here several months and have found the people here to be very friendly. There is a LOT to do or . . . you can do nothing - up to you.

Come - stay - enjoy!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 PM

I am so excited. We booked our lifestyle visit for October and we're staying in a house. I've already talked with a realtor and she knows what kind of home we're interested in. Hope this works out!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmajean View Post
I am so excited. We booked our lifestyle visit for October and we're staying in a house. I've already talked with a realtor and she knows what kind of home we're interested in. Hope this works out!

It will. You will have a ball. And please convince someone who knows how to make oyster po boys to move here with you!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Platinum member
Smile Hope you love it.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

There will be a bit of culture shock in terms of the difference in New Orleans and The Villages, but if you are flexible you will find it very enjoyable here.

I lived on the West Bank in Orleans Parish back in the 1970's and enjoyed the culture very much. I am sure that I would not want to live there now. The contrast between Lafayette Square back then, with the "starving artist" displays and sales, and the current astrology and witchcraft booths was shocking last time I was there.

If you enjoy open air entertainment you will love the nightly free entertainment at the Town Squares here. There are very professionally presented plays and concerts at the Savannah Center.

If you are golfers, there are more courses than you can get around to playing during your visit. There's also shuffleboard, bocci ball, horseshoes, tennis, swimming, and more. And of course, it's great fun to run around all over the place in golf carts on special roads built for them.

Come and enjoy!
Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Veteran member

Just a reminder the people that work for the villages are not realtors they are salesman only, they only have their personal code of ethics they are not allowed to show you preowned MLS listings the villages is not a member of the MLS. to look at preowned homes you must be careful because with the villages they want nothing to do with the MLS system which is direct competition for them. there are two schools of thought on this my personal opinion is I would NEVER buy anything from the villages but if you want a new home you must do that. just be very leery and don't let the Disney dust gett in your eyes people come here and don't get in entire total picture there are many additional costs that you must incur. one of the biggest things that is misrepresented or not represented at all when you deal with the villages is the bond there can be huge bond some of them upwards over hundred thousand dollars on some of the new huge homes in the new sections some of the older ones are are lower but just be sure to ask what the bond is , there are required monthly payments it doesnt matter if you are here or not. to get the real honest scoop find yourself a good MLS realtor and you will need two realtors if you want to see all of the homes one would be your agent for the villages and the other would be your MLS agent. good luck there's no other place like this on earth yes there are times when you get bored and you feel that you must do something each day to just make a difference in life than just doing nothing or having fun. 99% of the people here are wonderful people however you will run into some real bullies I just don't worry about them but enjoy your visit if they are putting you up in a house they think it's your highroller or have the wherewithal to buy a larger home the Courtyard villas in Creekside are for the ones that they're accommodating and you roll with the punch I have seen them put people in the wrong ones and it's almost humorous to see what they and up renting or buying
Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Sage

In addition to the VLS agent that will be assigned to you, I would contact a MLS buyers agent, as they both have listings you can look at.

Linda Sears from Re Max is the MLS agent, I bought my house though, 352.205.0713.

Buy yourself a map through the sales office, before getting here, and familiarize yourself with the different areas of TV. TV is hugh. This might give you an idea of what village you might want to live in, but every village is great.

You will love it here, and good luck in house hunting!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Who Dat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmajean View Post
Hey Irma, is that you and Ronnie coming to TV in October? Guess I sold you on the place <grin> October will be a good month to visit. Let me know what days you'll be here. Susan
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Hope you enjoy your visit to The Villages. I enjoyed our lifestyle visit and felt no pressure. At the same time I found that the bond situation and all upfront costs were well explained by our sales rep. There was no attempt to hide anything. I understand that The Villages will not likely go out of their way to sell homes not listed by The Villages , but I have seen the same thing from other sales agents not showing any of The Villages related listings which would really limit what you see.

My only complaint was The Villages offer to help sell your existing home. Not explained (or not understood by me) was the fact that when you sign up to have them refer your home sale to a local agent obligates that local agent to include them in the sales fee distribution. We had some local agents refuse to take the listing due to the referral fee. The local agent incurs all of the expense and the referral gets a percentage which I recall was near 40 %. I may be wrong on the % but why cut your local agents fee with nothing in it for you.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to get a map and I'm going to try and spend time with two realtors while we are there. We're working very hard at trying to learn all that we can before we get there....and I'm definitely putting my husband in charge of keeping the Disney Dust out of my eyes! He'll be much better at it than me. And the West Bank is the Best Bank! I'll try to work on those oysta' po'boys!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Sage

Cajun zydeco dance weds eves. See recreation news at any rec Center for details
Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Regarding bond...

There are 3 counties in The Villages, Lake County has NO bond...And several homes have had their bond paid in full....So come to Paradise and never look back, although New Orleans neighbors tell me that restaurants in New Orleans are hard to beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageshooter View Post
Just a reminder the people that work for the villages are not realtors they are salesman only, they only have their personal code of ethics they are not allowed to show you preowned MLS listings the villages is not a member of the MLS. to look at preowned homes you must be careful because with the villages they want nothing to do with the MLS system which is direct competition for them. there are two schools of thought on this my personal opinion is I would NEVER buy anything from the villages but if you want a new home you must do that. just be very leery and don't let the Disney dust gett in your eyes people come here and don't get in entire total picture there are many additional costs that you must incur. one of the biggest things that is misrepresented or not represented at all when you deal with the villages is the bond there can be huge bond some of them upwards over hundred thousand dollars on some of the new huge homes in the new sections some of the older ones are are lower but just be sure to ask what the bond is , there are required monthly payments it doesnt matter if you are here or not. to get the real honest scoop find yourself a good MLS realtor and you will need two realtors if you want to see all of the homes one would be your agent for the villages and the other would be your MLS agent. good luck there's no other place like this on earth yes there are times when you get bored and you feel that you must do something each day to just make a difference in life than just doing nothing or having fun. 99% of the people here are wonderful people however you will run into some real bullies I just don't worry about them but enjoy your visit if they are putting you up in a house they think it's your highroller or have the wherewithal to buy a larger home the Courtyard villas in Creekside are for the ones that they're accommodating and you roll with the punch I have seen them put people in the wrong ones and it's almost humorous to see what they and up renting or buying
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.