No Wine Club in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
According to what he wrote in his book "Leisureville" Andrew Blechman found a wine club existed in The Villages: at least he wrote that he attended an organized wine tasting.
And anything he says is factual.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Yep, count us in!

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Sounds like fun. We enjoy wine Be back in November! Please keep us informed.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Sage

We're not experts, and don't need expensive wine to enjoy it. If that's okay, we're interested too.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Just starting to bring down my wine glasses. Have glass for every veritable. Be down in October. Also have wine bags for blind tasting. If you really want blind tasting I have the black wine glasses for that too.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Oh, asianthree, I can not wait for you to get here!

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Hope We Can Make It Work This Time

Many a person suggested a Wine Club many times on TOTV but never materialized. Hope this time some one will take the bull by the horn and make it work finally. Look forward to it when it materializes. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
Oh, asianthree, I can not wait for you to get here!
Every time I fly downI bring well packed wine glasses in my carry on.

I am willing to help get thing going only here for a month of October and first of November . A meet and greet would be a great start. Bring your fav wine with matching appetizer.

Then set up from there. Having a all California night, Italy, France. Then move on to chards, cabs, sparkling, pino, sweet. Then under $15 and 2nd runs. And the 12th month a full blind taste, with bagged bottles and black glasses. Each couple bringing a bottle, appetizer, two glasses each month. Host should have a sealing system or club buy one for travel. (. I hate to throw away good wine).

Then there is the road trip to winter park, to the wine room. They have up to 40 plus wines by the ounce, including $$$$$ like opus one.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Every time I fly downI bring well packed wine glasses in my carry on.

I am willing to help get thing going only here for a month of October and first of November . A meet and greet would be a great start. Bring your fav wine with matching appetizer.

Then set up from there. Having a all California night, Italy, France. Then move on to chards, cabs, sparkling, pino, sweet. Then under $15 and 2nd runs. And the 12th month a full blind taste, with bagged bottles and black glasses. Each couple bringing a bottle, appetizer, two glasses each month. Host should have a sealing system or club buy one for travel. (. I hate to throw away good wine).

Then there is the road trip to winter park, to the wine room. They have up to 40 plus wines by the ounce, including $$$$$ like opus one.

Count us in. We'll be back in October.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:36 AM

I am an Ambassador for Boisset Wine for in-home and special events wine tastings and have found that most of The Villagers prefer 3 buck chuck or whatever is on sale BOGO at the grocer. Good luck finding those who are willing to spent $20 on a better quality bottle of wine.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Caroline View Post
I am an Ambassador for Boisset Wine for in-home and special events wine tastings and have found that most of The Villagers prefer 3 buck chuck or whatever is on sale BOGO at the grocer. Good luck finding those who are willing to spent $20 on a better quality bottle of wine.
So, I surmise I cannot look forward to a vertical tasting in The Villages of a fine Bordeaux such as (my favorite) Chateau Palmer?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-19-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Sweet Caroline;1076335]I am an Ambassador for Boisset Wine for in-home and special events wine tastings and have found that most of The Villagers prefer 3 buck chuck or whatever is on sale BOGO at the grocer. Good luck finding those who are willing to spent $20 on a better quality bottle of wine.

I have meet those who appreciate good wine, in TV. sterling napa is my casual wine. For serious dinners, cakebread, silver oak, and in that price range is in my cellar. Nothing better then to open a good wine pour few ounces and go back to it every half hour to see how much it opens up. I have had the pleasure of sitting in classes and wine exams with 5 master sommelier. It's what a wine club is all about, experience and appreciate the finer points of a good wine. It's such a great pleasure to watch some one experience a good pairing. That's why I truly love going to the wine room in winter park. It opens up a whole new world. The best part is every master I have had the pleasure of making friends with are down to earth, and don't always need a $100 bottle of wine to enjoy at events.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Good luck finding those who are willing to spent $20 on a better quality bottle of wine.
Even if that's the case, I suspect that's unlikely to be unique to TV. Still, there's exceptions to every generalization, especially as the sample size increases. I'd imagine that in a population the size of TV's that there'd be more than enough people to make such a club viable. Even if it was only one tenth of one percent, we're talking 100 people. I suppose the challenge is finding them. I doubt every such person in TV is also a TOTV member.

While I do appreciate fine wine (I studied it while a student at Cornell, and later at the Culinary Institute of America and as a long time member and officer of the Mid Hudson Food and Wine Society) I am less able to deal with the next-day side effects than I used to be and so rarely partake anymore. Although an occasional club event would be of interest to me as well. So add me to the list.
--
bc
Old 06-20-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Count us in. We'll be back in October.
Count us in as well we hope to be there for Oct-Dec
Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Actually there are many good wines on the market for under $20.00. The purpose of a wine club is to enjoy tasting wine in a social environment. I have hosted wine clubs for many years in California and Nevada. If the host wants to introduce "3 buck chuck" to taste, it is their option but most wine club members have more class.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.