Organic Food Stores

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Default Organic Food Stores

I eat almost exclusively organic. It takes me an hour to get to my local Whole Foods from where I live now in NJ. I'm thinking of moving to the Villages, but I swore I would never live anywhere further than a half hour from a Whole Foods. This is very important to me. Can someone please tell me how far the nearest Whole Foods is? Also.. are there any other stores in the area or in the Villages that offer organic foods?

Thanks so much!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvChocolate View Post
I eat almost exclusively organic. It takes me an hour to get to my local Whole Foods from where I live now in NJ. I'm thinking of moving to the Villages, but I swore I would never live anywhere further than a half hour from a Whole Foods. This is very important to me. Can someone please tell me how far the nearest Whole Foods is? Also.. are there any other stores in the area or in the Villages that offer organic foods?

Thanks so much!
There is a FRESH MARKET on 466, across from the softball fields and schools.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:18 PM

There is a Fresh Market grocery store on 466 and farmers markets Thursday & Saturday in the squares.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:45 PM

I've never been to a "Fresh Market" but that sounds promising! Thank you very much!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Sage

Or if you want Whole Foods, you can go to Orlando area (think there's one in Winter Garden)...also a Trader Joe's.

I would google for your information! The farmer's markets are pretty popular here though with a plethora of choices.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Yes, you are going to love the farmer's markets around here. There are several vendors that sell organic. Plus with this weather you could grow your own vegetables and fruit.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Sadly, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are an hour away. :-(

Fresh Market in The Villages has some organic veges but NO truly organic chickens (free range and not GMO fed) nor even any organic beef.
Publix Supermarket in The Villages (at the Colony shopping mall) has grass fed beef (the White Oaks Pasture brand), and is my favorite.
Their chickens are only non-hormone/non-antibiotic but are definitely GMO corn fed (per the mfr.)
They do have a nice variety of organic veges but wish they had more!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
Sadly, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are an hour away. :-(

Fresh Market in The Villages has some organic veges but NO truly organic chickens (free range and not GMO fed) nor even any organic beef.
Publix Supermarket in The Villages (at the Colony shopping mall) has grass fed beef (the White Oaks Pasture brand), and is my favorite.
Their chickens are only non-hormone/non-antibiotic but are definitely GMO corn fed (per the mfr.)
They do have a nice variety of organic veges but wish they had more!
I haven't checked....but one might be able to find the meats (ie. chicken) at the farmer's market. "IF" they don't have it, maybe they can tell you who does!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The nearest Whole Foods is in Orlando, about an hour 10 minutes from The Villages. Fresh Market is no Whole Foods. They have some organics, as do most grocery stores today, but not a particularly large selection.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Oh. This may be a deal breaker. I'm very concerned about GMOs which is why I eat nearly all organic. I also only eat grass fed beef, and eggs from chicken that were fed non GMO feed. I don't think I could live somewhere without organic foods. I was getting so excited about moving to the Villages. What a shame. I'm surprised with such a big population of baby boomers, there is nothing near by.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Gold member

Grass-Fed Wagyu Beef is sold at the farmers market in Brownwood on Saturdays according to their website.
They also have free range poultry.

Contact Us At The Farm | Pasture Prime Wagyu Florida Grassfed Beef
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 PM

I also try to eat mostly organic. Living in the most southern part of The Villages would bring you to about 45 minutes from Whole Foods in Orlando. I love shopping there and go once or twice a month. I also shop Fresh Market, Publix and Winn Dixie, all have a nice selection of organic vegetables, but being a vegetarian, I do not know about organic meat. You can also buy organic at the farmer's markets and at Fernando's in Pedro. You can also check out Earth Origins in Ocala. I am pretty sure they have organic meats, you could probably call them to get more info. I have also seen local co-ops listed on the Internet where you can buy organic meats directly from the farms.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvChocolate View Post
Oh. This may be a deal breaker. I'm very concerned about GMOs which is why I eat nearly all organic. I also only eat grass fed beef, and eggs from chicken that were fed non GMO feed. I don't think I could live somewhere without organic foods. I was getting so excited about moving to the Villages. What a shame. I'm surprised with such a big population of baby boomers, there is nothing near by.
This farm (linked) is right in our backyard and they sell at the farmer's market on Saturdays at Brownwood.

Stop implying that 105,000 of us here are wandering around like dummies eating nothing but junk in a place with no decent food to eat.

Pasture Prime Farm - Summerfield, FL

"Our family farm raises all natural 100% grass-fed meat from Wagyu cattle, free-range chickens, free-range turkeys, Berkshire pigs and Mangalitsa pigs."

Pasture Prime Grass-fed Wagyu Beef from Summerfield, Florida
Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
The nearest Whole Foods is in Orlando, about an hour 10 minutes from The Villages.
And $10 or so in tolls.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 AM

There is a small store that sells some organic foods on Rt 441/27 Lady Lake, called the Green Apple... Take 466 west, take a right onto 441/27 approx. 5 miles behind the Oakwood BQ restaurant is where this store is located..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.