Hollow sounding tile

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Default Hollow sounding tile

Any one have problems with ceramic tiles sounding hollow when dropping something on them ? Any idea what causes this and is it a problem
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

It usually means the tile has not been laid securely. The "mud" used was either not mixed right or they didn't use enough of it. Eventually, the tiles could pop out and they would have to be re-set.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

We do have some tiles that sound hollow. I called the warranty office and they said they would be fine. Hmmmm. We have been here 2 2/3 years and so far they are. Hope it stays that way.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Sage

In our last new house in Norcal in 1999 we went around with a golf ball and tested every ceramic tile for hollow sound; marked them and the builder had them reset. They missed some - never became an issue. Probably the grout between the tiles keeps them in place.

Didn't test our new house here because of the prior experience.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Gold member

The hollow sound means there is an open void between the bottom of the tile and the cement or slab. This could cause the tile to crack if something heavy is dropped on the tile or placed on top of it. I believe most tiles become more brittle with age. Not something that will happen today but years from now it could be a problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Very correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
The hollow sound means there is an open void between the bottom of the tile and the cement or slab. This could cause the tile to crack if something heavy is dropped on the tile or placed on top of it. I believe most tiles become more brittle with age. Not something that will happen today but years from now it could be a problem.
How much of a problem it is depends on the size of the hollow and the thickness of the tile. As the slabs age they shrink a little. I was told they continue to shrink a tiny bit over several years. We had tiles in our Atlanta house crack after two years. If I were you I would make them reset them or at least get extra tiles so if they crack in the future you have ones that match if they do crack. IMHO
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.