Part time work

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Default Part time work

My wife and I are in the process of selling our house in MN and moving to TV. It's a "leap of faith", and we're both very excited about the new adventure. We did the Lifestyle Preview a few years ago, and fell in love with TV.

I've worked construction most of my life and we've lived in this cold climate all our lives, and now at 55 1/2 years old, I've got the chance to retire early while we're still healthy...so we're taking it!!

I will have a pension I can draw off of, however we'll still need to find some part time work within a few months of moving for the both of us. My question is, is there plenty of part time jobs to be found there within The Villages?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Gold member

Yes.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM

Plenty of part time work with no benefits! All of them are service related. Hotels, restaurants, customer service, retail ,etc.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Sage

Plenty of jobs with low wages, but may be sufficient to meet your needs.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Oh my goodness, you are so lucky to have discovered TV while you are still so young and retiring early. TV is splendid at any age but those of us who didn't get down here til we were late sixties, etc. are kicking ourselves. You are going to be able to get the most out of everything. I should think, since there is so much construction, you could do that here?
Wish you the best in your new life.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Most of the jobs are part-time around here. It is a great way to avoid paying any benefits. However, be prepared for incredibly low wages. Minimum wage or just above it is the norm.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2015, 05:26 PM

My plan is to retire from fulltime work in 4 yrs and possibly move to TV. I'm a nurse, so I checked out contingent jobs at local hospitals and teaching nursing at local community colleges, both of which I do now. I found plenty of jobs listed and have been told that the pay is about the same as here.

Hospitals also provide jobs (with benefits) for non-medical people - such as housekeepers, cafeteria/dietary, secretaries, transportation, stocking, gift shop, maintenance, parking, groundskeepers, security and more. To the OP, you might try checking on a local hospital website to see what they might have available.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Bucks! View Post
My plan is to retire from fulltime work in 4 yrs and possibly move to TV. I'm a nurse, so I checked out contingent jobs at local hospitals and teaching nursing at local community colleges, both of which I do now. I found plenty of jobs listed and have been told that the pay is about the same as here.

Hospitals also provide jobs (with benefits) for non-medical people - such as housekeepers, cafeteria/dietary, secretaries, transportation, stocking, gift shop, maintenance, parking, groundskeepers, security and more. To the OP, you might try checking on a local hospital website to see what they might have available.
Great ideas for someone moving here. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

If you are union construction worker, be prepared for the shock of your life, with wages, conditions, and general over all treatment as an employee. I have a wonderful part-time gig at PUBLIX, they care about there employees. and will work around your schedule. Beware that Florida is a RIGHT TO WORK state = right to fire at anytime for no reason. If your looking for construction, you can catch on real quick, if your 25 yrs old with a strong back, if not move on, we have plenty of others that will work as long as we dont ask for a green card! Lots of illegals!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Default Part time work needed

I want to find out what the need is in the Villages. I want to start a business that addresses the needs of those that live in the a villages. Please give me ideas for what people are looking for and will pay for. Thanks for any help you can give me. Debbie
Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,245 Posts

With all of the recent break-ins, you may be able to start something along the line of installing all of the security measures recommended by the police. I have also seen a lot of interest in "do it yourself" or low cost alarm systems, something else that might be of interest. This seems to be an underserviced area, as the local alarm companies are either fully monitored systems (30 to 60 dollars/month) or $3500 and up for video systems. There is a LOT of room for lower cost systems.

Good luck (PS If I was not enjoying my retirement so much I would probably get into this.)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.