Purchasing a new house

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC
Default Purchasing a new house

We are looking for a house. Our question is whether to buy a new house which would be just the way we want it or a preowned home which would be the way someone else wanted it but would be near a major town center. I am a walker, preferring to walk than drive. Any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Unless you can find a lot and build (I do not think that is currently an option), you will be looking at spec houses, so it will make very little difference, the house will be built in either case. You may want to hook up with a village sales person (we used Priscilla Hart) and have them show what is available. This will give you an idea of the size or style that you are looking for. Then you can investigate new and pre-owned houses to see what suits you. I previously owned home may have several upgrades that may make the house very attractive.

My understanding (others please correct me if I am wrong) the last custom built houses were in the 2013 time frame (we got one). You can check with the sales office and they will tell you if this is an option. The next thing you need to do is get the map of the villages (40 square miles, about 12 miles North to south and around 8 miles wide). This will give you an idea of the various areas. All of the houses are already built near the 3 town squares, so you are out of luck for a custom house. You might find something in the Pines Hills area, several miles from all of the town squares.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM

After making numerous trips to TV, we recently purchaed a pre owned Court Yard Villa, walkable to Brownwood/ Paddock Square Town Center, since my husband and I are are walkers. The only "new" close to a town square would be in the Alden Bungalow Villas, and your only choice is to take it as is, since that is the only way a CYV comes. Presently they are being used for the Lifestyle Visits and are not for sale at this time. There are no longer any lots to be built on that are in walking distance to any of the town squares. Villagetinker made a good suggestion of getting a map of TV. You can see the different areas and town squares. The map can be purchased at the sales offices, and can also be sent to your home if you are far away. Call the number on TV site, and they will direct you. Also, go to TV site often and check out the various types of homes in your preferred area.

There can be many pluses to buying a pre owned home. Many enhancements and upgrades have been made to some, as well as you molding it to your taste. Bonds have sometimes been paid off, or at least paid down.

I happened to notice where you came from. We grew up not from there, and loved walked around just "looking" and seeing what was going on, stopping in for a quick cup of coffee somewhere, getting breakfast, dinner, whatever. Being near a town square was up there on our list when purchasing.

Good luck in your search.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Probably best to look at ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as the old Real Estate Motto, LOcation, Location, Location. Set that up first. Next, a house or a villa. Next the size and next the dickering. The Village owned and items for sale, forget asking for any changes. They are not known for bending for the customer, what you see is what you get, almost except, what you do not see is sometimes a shocker.
Best to get a pre owned, meet the owners, they can tell you the good bad and maybe ugly. Plenty available by owner, take your time, the realtors "outside" are usually good, Grizzard is great Realtor, Mr. Foster is a real straight shooter we found.
Be cautious, get a big tablet, write down the goals, check on everything and DO NOT believe everything a sales person tells you, unless they are a LICENSED realtor????? RELAX, it is a big job, do it right.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Regarding the post above that makes it sound like an ominous, horrendous process but you should "relax"......the sales reps for The Villages (new and pre-owned) are licensed. "Realtor" is highly over-rated, anywhere, since many fit the description of "used car salesman" who will say ANYTHING to get a listing or make a sale. The Villages sales reps are good or excellent in many cases.

Getting a new home here doesn't really assure that it's just how you'd like it, and they are limited by location in far south area of TV.

Pre-owned homes here often have unbelievable quality enhancements, because people have the money to do it and can finally get things they always wanted before. Pre-owned would give far more options for location and high-grade enhancements owners will not recoup their money on. They did it simply because they wanted to and finally could.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Regarding the post above that makes it sound like an ominous, horrendous process but you should "relax"......the sales reps for The Villages (new and pre-owned) are licensed. "Realtor" is highly over-rated, anywhere, since many fit the description of "used car salesman" who will say ANYTHING to get a listing or make a sale. The Villages sales reps are good or excellent in many cases.

Getting a new home here doesn't really assure that it's just how you'd like it, and they are limited by location in far south area of TV.

Pre-owned homes here often have unbelievable quality enhancements, because people have the money to do it and can finally get things they always wanted before. Pre-owned would give far more options for location and high-grade enhancements owners will not recoup their money on. They did it simply because they wanted to and finally could.
BUT the sometimes very personalized additions often do not suit the new owners. I vote for new. We have had many homes built over time. The one here has been the easiest process, and the first one we bought here already built was fine too.

New houses need pull down stairs in the garage, gutters on the side and back, you may want to change the landscaping or add curbing to it, epoxy the garage floor, I like about half of the driveway finishes I have seen, and half I don't. Personally I am fine with none. Our new house came with the tile, hardwood and carpet we liked. And the neutral colors we prefer.

I think new and used are not much difference in price at all, if any difference in price for many. So please yourself. It is hard to find a bad location and most people think they have chosen the best. I am not nor have I ever been a realtor. I just love living here.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post
Our question is whether to buy a new house which would be just the way we want it or a preowned home which would be the way someone else wanted it but would be near a major town center.
IMHO, a nice view lot is much less expensive if you buy a pre-owned home (if privacy is important to you).
Old 08-25-2016, 06:01 AM

we bought preowned and love the house but..... location location location. my house would be ideal in a different area. I am off 466 and have great shopping but it is an older aged area and in time that does make a difference. but down south comes with hefty bonds. the new models are beautiful you can contact a village realitor to view them and go with an open mind as to what it will eventually be with trees and stuff. you can walk in any village and area it just depends on what you are looking for. good luck and welcome
Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Sage

You can still pick a lot and build (or at least you could 3 months ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Unless you can find a lot and build (I do not think that is currently an option), you will be looking at spec houses, so it will make very little difference, the house will be built in either case. You may want to hook up with a village sales person (we used Priscilla Hart) and have them show what is available. This will give you an idea of the size or style that you are looking for. Then you can investigate new and pre-owned houses to see what suits you. I previously owned home may have several upgrades that may make the house very attractive.

My understanding (others please correct me if I am wrong) the last custom built houses were in the 2013 time frame (we got one). You can check with the sales office and they will tell you if this is an option. The next thing you need to do is get the map of the villages (40 square miles, about 12 miles North to south and around 8 miles wide). This will give you an idea of the various areas. All of the houses are already built near the 3 town squares, so you are out of luck for a custom house. You might find something in the Pines Hills area, several miles from all of the town squares.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Soon, you will be able to purchase a new home in the Village of Fenney and enjoy a scenic (8K) walk to Brownwood, Wildwood or a shorter one to the nearby community of Coleman.

I do enjoy walking in the Villages as the roads, multimodal paths and walks are almost stumble free. The only new houses within my walking distance to anything would be those in the Fruitland Park section and then walk to Colony Plaza Shopping Center or the new shopping area near Rohan rec. center. So, your choices for the purchase of a new house near anything are few and going fast.

Of course, I almost forgot about those 10 new Villas next to Lake Sumter Landing being sold on The Villages sales web site.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 08-25-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Sage

Do yourself a favor and create a list of "must haves" and "would like to have" in a home of your preference.

Some people insist on brand new and some prefer a pre-owned homed. Some pre-own homes have little or no bond, more mature landscaping, upgrades, etc.

Almost any home will need to be modified to your taste.

Get a map and decide on your "location". TV is a big place!

I seriously doubt you can get a new home within walking distance of Brownwood, in the southern part of TV. IMHO

Forget about a new home close to Spanish Springs or Lake Sumter Landing.

This is a big golf cart community and is better to be close to shopping, doctors or whatever might be very important to you. After awhile, people usually don't go to the squares as much as when they first arrived. IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

You may want to consider almost new houses. If 2-4 yeArs old, many have put in upgrades that might suit you. Upgrades if you like them are not only about price but as we can verify, all the hassles from sellers, installers and inspections afterwards. We put in many additions and 90% of them came with added stress. The 10% we could have kissed their feet. There were a lot of "never do that again!" moments.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:17 PM

How about the new homes being built in Oseola Hills and Silver Lake? Are they a better location (closer to things) than Pine Hills and Pine Ridge?
Closed Thread

Tags
house, town, center, major, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.