Question about Villages Sales Reps

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Default Question about Villages Sales Reps

Is this behavior common for the Sales Reps? I won't name the Rep

My wife and I visited on a lifestyle visit a while ago and prior to coming down I made it very clear (at least I thought I did) that we were not in a position to purchase yet. We wanted to look at the models, sample the lifestyle, answer some questions (villa vs SF, golf view, etc).

We accomplished most of that in the first two days, deciding we want a SF (can't live in a Villa), the Golf view was more important than a large lot for a pool, etc). When we arrived the first thing the rep did was ask "Still on the same time table (late this year, mid next). We replied unfortunately yes.

The rep (with whom we've been talking since 2006) is a very nice person, only this one seems to want to apply a lot of pressure to buy now. We viewed the models on Monday and I asked if we could see some available lots so I could get a feel for the golf view vs large lot not golf view etc. The rep seems to have misinterpreted this to mean we wanted to pick a lot - now. In truth, when we found out about the possibility of the up to one year delay in starting we were tempted and had a long, stressful discussion about it until 2am the night before we went to look at the lots - ultimately deciding that we still had to wait to make the commitment on our original schedule. But we NEVER indicated to the Rep a readiness to buy now.

Anyway, the rep had printed plots and placed the plan we liked with a pool/spa on them. The rep did a lot of work and I didn't expect that but appreciated it. After looking at the lots, which were very nice (we're so sad we couldn't buy now, but we can't). when I told the Rep we would buy now if we could, but just can't the Rep got really upset. Visibly angry when we were dropped off at the Sales Office the Rep left us muttering, in a less than friendly tone, "Come back when you're ready to buy." Not very pleasant parting. Since then the Rep has pretty much blown us off. The last day of our visit we wanted to take one last look at the model we settled on and take some measurements for planning purposes. We asked at the Sales Office in the morning if someone could just run us out there. When they offered to call our Rep we said not to bother them, couldn't someone just run us out there for 15 min. I assume the manager came out and told us they didn't have anyone available, but our Rep was free after 1pm the rest of the day. We reluctantly agreed to wait. The Rep calls us at 1:30 and said they are busy and couldn't get away until 5:30 (they knew we had to leave at 3:30 to catch our flight). Which I found a trifle odd given the manager's comments. I used to be a new home sales rep so I understand the desire of the rep not to miss new traffic, but I still think they could have spent 15 minutes with us.

My wife and I are no longer comfortable dealing with this rep.

Does anyone know 1) if they will switch reps for us and, 2) do you think this is fair of us to do (I understand they are on commission)?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I'd say this is not common behavior, but something similar enough happened to us too. There are other threads on this board on this topic.

We felt our rep was pushy, I asked for (and received) references on this board, phoned TV, and asked for the rep who sounded appealing to us (Debra Park).
She was great. She did ask why we were displeased with the former rep (we told her) and it was not a problem to change reps at all.

Best wishes.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'd say this is not common behavior, but something similar enough happened to us too. There are other threads on this board on this topic.

We felt our rep was pushy, I asked for (and received) references on this board, phoned TV, and asked for the rep who sounded appealing to us (Debra Park).
She was great. She did ask why we were displeased with the former rep (we told her) and it was not a problem to change reps at all.

Best wishes.
Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Default Think we just got lucky.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.
We were down in March and had a great rep. She was with us no matter what! She went out of her way many times. We had a simular situation with a last minute request...our rep did everything but drive us to the airport. We did end up buying a beautiful home. However, when we left TV we hadn't yet decided and were still thinking it over. Upon saying good bye to us there was never any signs of anger or what ever. We did call her a few days later and she got our sale. She even helped us through the complete closing process and went out of her way to make sure we were happy.
If you would like her name...drop me a line camp12345bell@sbcglobal.net and I will give it to you.
Good Luck,
Bob
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Default Get a new agent

We have been on 3 lifestyle visits. On the first visit we had an agent that was not very friendly. On the second visit we had spoken to a couple who recommended the agent they used. We requested him there were no questions asked and he could not have been more helpful. On our third visit we did purchase a lot which we plan to build on as soon as our home in Maryland sells. There has never been any pressure at all from this agent. We had friends do a lifestyle visit and recommended they speak to the agent we used. Their experience was the same no pressure. They loved the lifestyle in TV but are going to be snow birds, their visit was when the weather was very cold so they will look for something further south. If you are interested in our agent send me a private message and I'll give you his name.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Doesn't sound typical in general and definitely not how our rep treated us. I'm curious though you said you thought the manager came out to talk to you, why on earth didn't you tell him about your experience with your rep then??
Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Doesn't sound typical in general and definitely not how our rep treated us. I'm curious though you said you thought the manager came out to talk to you, why on earth didn't you tell him about your experience with your rep then??
It didn't occur to me to complain at that point. I guess I'm a pretty easy going type and, having been a new home rep (never having behaved that way towards ANY prospect) I do have some empathy for the commission of the Rep. The Reps behavior after that is what pushed me over the top I guess. Takes a lot for me to get upset enough to take action.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

I think you should of let the "Manager" know of this deal. There are alot of Reps, and the ones I know of are very professional. I have sent alot of people to see Tarrant Potter. I hope he is not the one you talk of. That would suprise me, well let me put it a different way. I would hope not......

Money Out
Old 04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Default rep

please do not let any one pressure you, you will come to regrete latter, and ask for a different rep. this one sounds very unprofessional. As the buyer, stay in the drivers seat. Don't let an eager salesperson short change you.
!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Default Great rep!

Our rep was Chris Hallmark and we were very happy with him.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

A friend of mine is a TV sales rep -- Rhodd Soutar. When I first met him, he told me of a couple he had been working with for three years. They'd come down, look, but be afraid to buy at that time. They were finally ready their last visit. He didn't seem in the least perturbed to have waited so long to get their purchase. In fact, it was the exact opposite -- he was happy they'd waited until they were comfortable and was glad he could help them any way he could until that point. I do know I've sent a few people his way and not one of them have regretted working with him.

It sounds like you had a sales rep who really was banking on your purchase. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think the majority of sales reps here are willing to wait until you're ready.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Justin Wilson.... awesome, very patient and informative.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbrennan View Post
Our rep was Chris Hallmark and we were very happy with him.
Our Rep was Penny Chamberlain her partner is Chris Hallmark,what a team just great never no pressure.Always ready to answer questions and show us anything we wanted. We went from preowned to lots and new homes. Its your time so make it happy time when your in TV. Mary
email shwedwards@comcast.net
cell 352-603-5333
Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Just curious, what is the TV sales rep's percentage on a sale? Does it differ from new to preowned homes?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

NOT our experience at all.

We were in a a similar situation - thought for not as long. Our decision was to do nothing until we sold our house. Our reps were the team of Jackie Murphy and Bob Knorr - highly recommend them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.