So many questions!

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Location: SidneyNY;Odessa,Houston&SpringTX;MariettaGA;WheatonIL;RidgelandMS;MorganHillCA,TemeculaCA,SabalChase
Default So many questions!

I'll be moving to The Villages in about six months. I fell in love as soon as I entered The Bubble! I'm single and 56 years old. And moving across the US is pretty scary. It is also soooo difficult looking at houses and trying to decide on a neighborhood from another state. I love this site and have already spent many hours on it! Thank-you to everyone who has contributed by posting answers that really help people from other states know more about The Villages!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

A LOT of people will tell you to take it slow, perhaps rent for several months before deciding where you are finding friends and which neighborhood appeals to you most. They also point out that the average Villager buys twice more after first moving to TV. My wife and I really wanted to follow that advice but ended up ignoring it. First, we don't like paying rent, we'd prefer to put that money towards paying off a house. Second, The Villages is so big (and getting bigger all the time) that you might well have to live in the Bubble for years before really experience most or all of the neighborhoods. Third, after seeing several models during a few visits of a 2-year span, we walked into one and just loved it. We liked the layout, the orientation, the color scheme inside and out and pretty much every other option selection that had been made. We just had to have the house. We bought it and rented it for a year (as we're not yet retired) and have only recently started moving our stuff down in preparation for retiring (coming soon!). During those visits, we have met some outstandingly great neighbors. I'm sure we're going to love the neighborhood. Perhaps we were just lucky, but I'm thinking it's far easier to be lucky in that regard in The Villages than other places we've lived. Nobody grew up in The Villages; everybody is from somewhere else. They all moved there to be happy and have fun. With that attitude, they're more likely to be great neighbors in my book.

One bit of advice I have heard relates to your age. You're on the young side for The Villages. I've been told that newer neighborhoods are more likely to attract younger (well, relatively younger) buyers. To find folks closer to your age, you might want to consider the south end of the main Bubble vs. the northern, more "historic" end. That could be totally off, but it happens that most of the people we've met in our neighborhood (Dunedin, in the south end) are about our age (62). So maybe there's something to that.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdancin View Post
I'll be moving to The Villages in about six months. I fell in love as soon as I entered The Bubble! I'm single and 56 years old. And moving across the US is pretty scary. It is also soooo difficult looking at houses and trying to decide on a neighborhood from another state. I love this site and have already spent many hours on it! Thank-you to everyone who has contributed by posting answers that really help people from other states know more about The Villages!
I am thrilled for you moving to TV while still young and energetic enough to enjoy the endless activites provided. When we inquired about the best neighborhoods our mentors assured us that there are "no bad neighborhoods in TV". This is so true but an error I made was aiming for near the center of TV thinking it would put us closer to everything but the result was that we were not close to anything and it was a major golf car ride to every event, but fun in the going. I would say to look around at the ammenities that are important to you and try to move closer to them. As far as renting first, no. If you buy and decide to sell you will not loose money whereas in renting, if you can find a rental, your money is gone. We rented first so we had three moves counting the one to the rental and that is expensive, stressful and all kinds of stuff happening when you could be enjoying everything at this wonderland of fun and happiness.God bless you.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Sage

I would rent for thee months as TV is enormous and it will give you time to decide what section you would like to live in. There are many factors to consider when moving here so ask your questions and we will try to answer them.

As a single person, I moved here over three years ago and found a 2B/2B patio villa sufficient enough space for me. I am a one and done person, so that's why I suggested a 3 month rental. It's a little more challenging when your single as you have to do everything yourself but you will get there eventually. It's all worthwhile.

Make a list of "must have's" and "would like to have".You will know what to buy by feeling this is "home", when you walk in.

BTW - There is no place like TV.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

Some say the historic part is also a new "youthful" area.

Wonder who has the demographics by Village.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Try VillagersHomes4Rent.com for rentals
Old 01-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Platinum member

I would agree with renting a few months first. I didn't. I chose an area that's in the center and I love my neighborhood. but if I had to do it again, I might choose a place closer to stores, etc. That being said, for me, no activity anywhere is too far. I can go to Brownwood in the same amount of time as Spanish Springs. Sumter Landing is a really quick trip. I love my neighbors so I lucked out there. I bought a courtyard villa because I have a dog and discovered many single people choose these because they have pets, or they feel more secure with the enclosed areas. my friends in my neighborhood are a decade older than I so they may be less inclined to join new things but there are many single groups you can join to find others in your age group to do things with. I bought a resale for many reasons but among them was that the bond was paid, it came with washer and dryer, had an updated refrigerator and stove, blinds on all windows, ceiling fans, and a larger lot than the newer ones. when I was looking at new houses some had washers and dryers, blinds, and or ceiling fans but most did not. that's quite an expense to incur right off the bat. I think renting for 3 months would be the way to go.

Last edited by Bonnevie; 01-27-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I had 4 or 5 visits to TV before we purchased a home. I spent 41 years in real estate so we both knew what we were looking for and how to look. Each time we visited we looked at houses (mostly open houses so as not to waste a Realtor's time). By the time we decided where we wanted to live in TV we had already decided on the floor plan we wanted. The very day we decided to buy before we sold "back home" my wife found the home we purchased (over the phone, sight unseen, although we had a friend and her Realtor get inside). We purchased a 12 year-old home and completely redid it. This process worked beautifully for us. As was said earlier on this site, don't rush into buying until you have surety as to the floor plan and area in which you want to live.

Best of luck and an early "welcome to TV".
Old 01-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Platinum member

also, I know it's scary. a lot of us just held our breath and took the plunge. but it's a really great place to be if you are single. I am doing more now every month than I did in a year before I came here--and I am not a particularly active person. There are so many things to do and I haven't had the time in the over 3 years I've been here to do a fraction of them. When you get here--post it and there's a group of single here that will have a meet and greet for you.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Platinum member

I spent quite a lot of time on thevillages.com website and studied floor plans. We knew we wanted new so when we came on the Lifestyle Program we called and asked for a salesman to show us what they had for new lots with a Gardenia with a golf cart garage and not on a main road. There were only 3 lots that we could even look at. 2 were corner lots on St. Charles and one behind Tarpon Boil that butted up to some real trashy mobile homes that were not in The Villages. We asked for a day off to consider what else we'd be interested in seeing. I decided to give up the kitchen for the golf cart garage but they wouldn't go for that so we gave up the golf cart garage. That opened up 300 lots because of the width. Study floor plans and decide what you want as far as a model. Study villages maps to try to decide location, what is important to you, such as shopping, more or less traffic, near pool, mailboxes, etc. Study preowned homes and you may discover just what you want. Neighborhoods are important. Our neighborhood which is now 6 years old is very active and goes out of its way to welcome all ages. We have people in their 50's still working from home to people in their 80's that still participate in socials, golf groups etc. The people who work participate on weekends and at night. We are Jacaranda Island in the Village of Pennecamp. If you find a neighborhood with a website and social activities, that's as good as getting into a new neighborhood where everyone is friendly and active at the beginning but some don't continue being active socially. We are between Lake Sumter and Brownwood and we are off the beaten path. Ck out Abordale to Markridge Loop and Altamont Villas on a map and you'll see what we mean. The Pennecamp groups never included us because they didn't realize we were even in Pennecamp so we set up our own social network. Houses range from low 300,00's to over 650,000. Villas in the 200,000's to 300,000's. Good Luck to you and you will not regret choosing The Villages. I was 59 when we came and it really revitalizes you.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:11 PM
Location: SidneyNY;Odessa,Houston&SpringTX;MariettaGA;WheatonIL;RidgelandMS;MorganHillCA,TemeculaCA,SabalChase

Thank-you for the great advice! My best friend is actually 74 years old. She looks and acts much younger. I've always enjoyed older people's company. It would be nice to live around people my age. We could all grow older together and make awesome memories. I bet some of the older neighborhoods are really close for that reason. My concern with purchasing new is that I can't have a buyer's agent to protect my interests. And, the whole bond issue scares me, because it adds so much money to the purchase and I wonder if I'll ever get that back if I decide to sell. And, not getting granite counters, color choices in inside paint and floor options forces me to pay even more money. Plus, I would like to make the Lanai into a Florida Room so the dogs can have a doggy door. I really like the idea of having a fence, as most of the places I have lived everyone had a fence. It gives privacy, keeps my dogs out of other's yards and makes me feel more secure.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:18 PM

I agree. Moving from CA to FL is going to be stressful enough for me. I also wouldn't be able to handle paying out all that money and having nothing to show for it. I know it's a smart idea. I just can't see myself doing it. I am the kind of person who will read everything I can get my hands on to find out the plusses and minuses and try to make the most educated decision possible. Sometimes, though, things change and they are out of your control. Like the Fenney Village that is in the planning. I thought The Villages was going to be built out and completed at the end of 2017. With that huge neighborhood using all the facilities, The Villages will be so crowded. And, I'm already hearing about lines and not being able to get into some events due to overcrowding. Does that mean that The Villages will be able to use their facilities also?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I would rent for thee months as TV is enormous and it will give you time to decide what section you would like to live in. There are many factors to consider when moving here so ask your questions and we will try to answer them.

As a single person, I moved here over three years ago and found a 2B/2B patio villa sufficient enough space for me. I am a one and done person, so that's why I suggested a 3 month rental. It's a little more challenging when your single as you have to do everything yourself but you will get there eventually. It's all worthwhile.

Make a list of "must have's" and "would like to have".You will know what to buy by feeling this is "home", when you walk in.

BTW - There is no place like TV.
There, I figured out how to show who I was responding to! Yes, moving while single is a challenge. Thank God I met so many nice people every day when I drove here for a week from Orlando to get all the info I could before going back to CA.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:29 PM

It would be nice to know the demographics!
Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I would agree with renting a few months first. I didn't. I chose an area that's in the center and I love my neighborhood. but if I had to do it again, I might choose a place closer to stores, etc. That being said, for me, no activity anywhere is too far. I can go to Brownwood in the same amount of time as Spanish Springs. Sumter Landing is a really quick trip. I love my neighbors so I lucked out there. I bought a courtyard villa because I have a dog and discovered many single people choose these because they have pets, or they feel more secure with the enclosed areas. my friends in my neighborhood are a decade older than I so they may be less inclined to join new things but there are many single groups you can join to find others in your age group to do things with. I bought a resale for many reasons but among them was that the bond was paid, it came with washer and dryer, had an updated refrigerator and stove, blinds on all windows, ceiling fans, and a larger lot than the newer ones. when I was looking at new houses some had washers and dryers, blinds, and or ceiling fans but most did not. that's quite an expense to incur right off the bat. I think renting for 3 months would be the way to go.
I like the idea of a Courtyard Villa, but I heard that a lot of them are rented out. I wouldn't want to be in a neighborhood with a lot of empty houses during the off-peak season. I love the fences and little yardwork!
Closed Thread

Tags
love, moving, villages, hours, thank-you

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.