We want to buy this summer and move in the fall.

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 AM

We have been struggling with the exact same issue. What is holding me back is having to maintain both homes if the current home does not sell quickly. I have spoken to so many people whose homes have not sold and that is scary to me. If you can comfortably maintain both, than this would not apply to you. It is a good idea to speak with a real estate agent to gauge the market in your area. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
We bought two years ahead of retirement. It gives us a place to go and when we sell up north we don't have to rent. Just move we erythema to TV.
We also bought ahead of retirement and used the house as a vacation home while we were snowflakes. We graduated to snowbirds after retirement and loving it.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 6,957 Times in 1,189 Posts

Well welcome to the Villages. Definitely the place to be. If you wanna look at some resales listed by MLS agents take a look at this website. We used it and it is great and easy to use. focusonthevillages.com
Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I am in a similar boat. (not quite on board yet hubby can't decide if he wants to be here) But some people when at sea over this issue were in yachts and some were in rowboats. The qualifying for a loan while still working would be a deciding factor for me. Make sure the loan you take out in Florida does not have a prepayment penalty, they are I believe legal in some states and not others. We have a huge loan on our house in the Pacific Northwest but when sold will have enough equity to buy here without one as the houses in metro areas tend to be pricey even compared to the villages. We are already retired and could not I think get a second loan now with only retirement income as they look at monthly income much more than your debt to equity ratio.
We plan on putting our stuff that we can't do without (lots of art stuff and collections) in a Pod as we de-clutter the house to ready it for sale. We will then decide what of the furniture to sell or keep when the house sells. We will probably do a rental here for six months.
My further concern is as the prices have risen so much in the last six months is it a bubble and will they level a bit later. I can't figure it out.

Last edited by TrudyM; 02-11-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Just looked it up Florida passed a law not allowing prepayment penalties.
Under section 494.00791 of the Florida Fair Lending Act, pre-payment penalties on mortgages are no longer allowed. There are a few exceptions to the rule. If the buyer of the home finds a cheaper option that comes without a prepayment fee then the lender may charge the fee only in the first 36 months of the loan agreement. The borrower also has to be given a written disclosure of all benefits they have received to justify the prepayment fee. This written disclosure must be given at least three days prior to the loan beginning.

Read more: Florida Anti-Predatory Lending Laws | eHow
Old 02-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Thank you everyone, I truly apprieciate all the great information!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Be sure to read some of the old threads about how much stuff to move down. The 4000 pounds of old stuff that you've been planning to look thru once you retire will stay in the boxes while they keep your garage stuffed full. We retired and moved to our weekend house in WV. 4 years later as we prepared to move down here, I threw out 6 pickup truck loads of stuff that had been sitting in boxes which I was going to look thru once I retired... (and never quite got around to)

We bought on a trip where we had no plans to buy (yeah, I know... lots of folks do the same thing). We went back up to WV and told people that we were moving and would be selling our property there - ended up selling the house and 3 of the other parcels before we closed 3 weeks later. Other parcel sold a few weeks after we moved our furniture down. And everyone told us how nothing was selling in our part of WV.

Advice on selling your home - (1) tell your friends first that you are going to sell it. You'll be amazed at how fast word goes around. (2) Be realistic in your price - setting the price at what it is worth, not what you wish you could get. (3) Once you bring in a realtor, be very direct in telling them to price it to sell, not price it to impress you into signing with them. The only thing that matters is that it gets sold.

Good luck. You'll love it here.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 PM

I would suggest that you buy as soon as possible. The homes have gone up in price since we bought May 2013, and the prices seem to be gradually increasing on a steady basis.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 PM

We bought a pre-owned home in July of 2012 but didn't move until The end of August 2013.

The housing market was in a slump in Northern Illinois with several foreclosed and short sale homes in our area so we decided to wait before putting it on the market. At the end of June 2013 the housing market seemed to pick up so we put ours up for sale. It sold in one day to the first couple to look at it During the time our home in The Villages was empty we had 'Home Watch' check on it and also contracted for grass cutting,bush trimming, weeding etc. Prices here in TV are rising so Buy now and move later would be my advice. PS we had a mortgage which we paid off when our Illinois house sold.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Thank you, good information.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM

We bought about 18 months ago and probably won't retire for at least another year. Best investment we've made. The base price of our home has skyrocketed.

For now, we just use our home as a vacation home and try to get down there about once a quarter. We have a great homewatch company looking after the place while we're away. If you decide to purchase before you can be here full time, call the Village Sitter to discuss what she can provide you in the way of watching your new home while you're away.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM

I would like to see what an outside realtor can show us before I have TV realtor show us the new and preowned homes. Can any recommend an outside realtor? We are tentatively planning to shop for homes the 2nd or 3rd week of March.

Last edited by jrdonn; 02-12-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Keep in mind that a new home in a new area gives you more opportunity to create a homogeneous group of friends. You are all in the same boat. Buying into an established area with a pre-owned can be a little more difficult in establishing a good group of pals. I recommend Bonnie Berman in sales at The Villages. She knows the territory. If you must check with an outside agent, get in touch with Paul Carraway with RE/MAX Premier Realty. His number is 352-978-3171. Email is paulcarraway@remax.net. Tell him what you are looking for in detail and he will send you homes to review as an email attachment. Let him know I referred you. Good luck! You are doing the right thing.
Bruce Gintoft
Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM

We bought our house in June of 2012. We won't be ready to retire full time until 2017. Great investment. It has gone up considerably. We rent it out when we can. I can't wait to live there full time! What am i going to do with my house up here? My son is going to take over the mortgage. Woohoo! That's the plan, at least, and you know what they say about plans!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM

We have a 2013, fully furnished, professionally decorated, 2bd/2bth patio villa for sale if you are interested…. pics & info can be sent, thanks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.