Experienced Motorhome Owners - please help

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Default Experienced Motorhome Owners - please help

Hubby and I are in the early stages of researching Class C motorhomes. We are considering the purchase of one for summertime traveling/living. We have never owned a motorized rv - which makes the process a little intimidating. For those of you who have experience in owning a motorhome, can you give me any tips on what we should look for before making a decision. We have also considered a smaller Class A, so your personal experiences and comparisons between the two types would be helpful. Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 PM

I've had both and the class C's are more affected by wind. I liked the class A The most for handling and roominess. Either one is good, it is just a matter of preference and the amount of time you'll be spending in it. The more time the more I would lean toward the class A. Try to rent one for a few days to see which you prefer. Pay attention to the size of your water, waste and fuel tanks. My class C's would go at most 200 miles on a tank of gas, where the class A had a 80 gallon tank taking me 500+ miles

Last edited by Rickg; 09-10-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 09-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Sage

Sit in the driver or passenger seat in both and if you don't notice the difference a class C might be just fine; however, after travelling in a class A and that awesome open view through the windshield I tried, but could not switch to a class C. But it was something I was use to so that may be the difference. Think a class C could be more manageable in state parks and in town. Doesn't help much does it??? sorry
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM

I like the over cab bed on my small Class C. I didn't want or need a separate bedroom.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

I had one while back didn't like them.. Poor gas mileage, cost of maintenance, Insurance, cost of RV parks, Cost, cost, cost.. not to mention it sat around most of the time and deprecates so I sold it. Brought Caddie Eldorado and stayed in nice comfy motel when We went on trips. Now even the Eldorado is gone! But that me! I would rent one for few trips first see if you have to have one. IMO nothing eats up retirement money like RV's and Boats. "O" did I mention I sold the boat too.!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM

We had a 34 ft class A for years and had a 30 class C for a short time. For livability, I prefer the A. It was a bit roomier, the driver and passenger seat swiveled to make for added "living room" seating and it had much more under rig storage. The only down side for me was the C was a bit easier to drive, but I got used to driving the A pretty quickly. A couple of things I recommend to look for: Motorized levelers/ stabilzers. A "walk around" bed and as much counter space, storage and refrig space as you can get. I also liked having a real oven rather than just a convection oven.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Our friends started out small and ended up big. One of the reasons was that in a lot of rv parks, the smaller rvs got the second-class spots.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

I have had three class A's and drove them all over the US, Canada and Mexico. I agree with the above posts. Also check on the power to weight ratios and weight carrying capacity. I found two of the three were underpowered and otherwise underdesigned for carrying heavy loads, boat and trailer towing.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-11-2013, 12:50 AM

There is a lot to take into consideration with this purchase and I appreciate all of your input and suggestions. Several of you have brought up things that we haven't even thought of. Thank you. The on-line video tours that I found have been helpful in comparing the various features of the 'many' different models, but there's nothing like first-hand knowledge.

The idea of getting a motorhome came out of the blue when we decided this summer to finally list our Michigan house. We aren't quite ready to become full-timers in TV and a motorhome would provide a place of residence for us when we come back to Michigan for a month or so during the summer, we love our children & grandkids but we'll need a space of our own, if you know what I mean. Plus, we would like to do some traveling throughout the US and Canada while we are still healthy and able to do so. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just remember, the bigger the windshield, the more love bugs you can kill.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzee View Post
There is a lot to take into consideration with this purchase and I appreciate all of your input and suggestions. Several of you have brought up things that we haven't even thought of. Thank you. The on-line video tours that I found have been helpful in comparing the various features of the 'many' different models, but there's nothing like first-hand knowledge.

The idea of getting a motorhome came out of the blue when we decided this summer to finally list our Michigan house. We aren't quite ready to become full-timers in TV and a motorhome would provide a place of residence for us when we come back to Michigan for a month or so during the summer, we love our children & grandkids but we'll need a space of our own, if you know what I mean. Plus, we would like to do some traveling throughout the US and Canada while we are still healthy and able to do so. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
As far as Canada goes......no handguns of any type. They WILL arrest you and confiscate the motor home....long guns are allowed with restrictions

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
As far as Canada goes......no handguns of any type. They WILL arrest you and confiscate the motor home....long guns are allowed with restrictions
Not true, you declare them, they hold them till you leave.

Just there, on the way back gave them the papers they walked the gun to the RV and we drove back into Maine.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Sage

Now as far as buying a C or an A, pick one of each in your budget, sit in each for 30 minutes no salesman, see how it feels.

Now drive each one, you'll know what you like,
just don't drive a diesel, because if you do you'll buy one.

Go to Lamesa or RVone in Orlando they have many to look and drive.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum member
Default Lazy Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzee;7***95
Hubby and I are in the early stages of researching Class C motorhomes. We are considering the purchase of one for summertime traveling/living. We have never owned a motorized rv - which makes the process a little intimidating. For those of you who have experience in owning a motorhome, can you give me any tips on what we should look for before making a decision. We have also considered a smaller Class A, so your personal experiences and comparisons between the two types would be helpful. Thanks
Spend a day at Lazy Days and look at everything. It's a fun day and they will give you lunch.
http://m.lazydays.com/
Tampa, FL
Old 09-11-2013, 05:05 PM

I bought a used Class C from Cruise America in Orlando. It has a 55 gal fuel tank so I get 500 miles on a tank. I love the thing, and will be leaving next week for IN/MI. Keep in mind you have to have transportation when you get to a park. I have a new Chevy Spark with a manual transmission that I will tow. Fla state parks are great, and if you are a resident and over 65 you get half off.

Cruise America: Four Winds Majestic 28A
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.