Arkansas rushes to execute seven prisoners.

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I'm sure they made sure their victim should were comfortable before they killed them. Sorry, I have no compassion for animals like this
Old 04-14-2017, 05:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Capital punishment in my view is a matter best handled by those who would be most objective.

There is a difference between emotional empathy vis a vis cognitive empathy the latter preference for such decisions.

Also capital crimes or more to the point the circumstance surrounding them deserve individual consideration.

While victims families should have input initially they should not have lifetime access because in my view it negates all that a person does toward rehabilitation. Not all people entering prison are career criminals many have committed one crime, perhaps out of passion/

Yes, some deserve the death penalty and it should be carried out in a reasonable period of time and as humane a manner as possible
Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Capital punishment in my view is a matter best handled by those who would be most objective.

There is a difference between emotional empathy vis a vis cognitive empathy the latter preference for such decisions.

Also capital crimes or more to the point the circumstance surrounding them deserve individual consideration.

While victims families should have input initially they should not have lifetime access because in my view it negates all that a person does toward rehabilitation. Not all people entering prison are career criminals many have committed one crime, perhaps out of passion/

Yes, some deserve the death penalty and it should be carried out in a reasonable period of time and as humane a manner as possible
I do not believe rehabilitation really applies of these people are on death row.

I changed the name of the first man convicted of raping his wife in MN when I was a Student Attorney. The judge brought me into her office and chewed me out for helping this man. My duty though was to anyone who I got assigned as a client by the managing Lawyers at Legal Assistance to MN Prisoners. The ex-wife by law would have received immediate notice of this man's name change as well. Even some of the people in the legal community have the utmost contempt for some of those convicted of crimes and with cases like Casey Anthony for those accused as well. I really did not like this convicted rapist either but I did what the law required for him. I hope this is not violating any lawyer-client privilege as I am not sharing anything that would not be public record. My name would be on these court papers and the man did have his name changed. And no I do not actually remember what it was. Just how peeved the Judge and her workers were that I was doing this for him.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Our TV is on Directv channel 285 almost all the time, that's the ID channel, Investigation Discovery. Before that we were regular viewers of Courtv for a dozen years, especially with our homebased business it played all day in our house.

In all these years of watching I can't even begin to estimate the number of times defendants have taken a plea bargain of life in prison to avoid the death penalty. Can you imagine if we didn't have this bargaining chip how many criminals would be back on the streets. How much our courts would be clogged with hundreds of more trials every year, capital trial which take up much more manpower and money.

As as far the those who don't like the death penalty and think it's barbaric. I only wish you and those like you thought as much about the victims as you do about the criminals. The loss forever of the loved ones and the pain and suffering by their family and friends by this slime doesn't deserve a second of empathy.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Gold member

Only 7?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Our TV is on Directv channel 285 almost all the time, that's the ID channel, Investigation Discovery. Before that we were regular viewers of Courtv for a dozen years, especially with our homebased business it played all day in our house.

In all these years of watching I can't even begin to estimate the number of times defendants have taken a plea bargain of life in prison to avoid the death penalty. Can you imagine if we didn't have this bargaining chip how many criminals would be back on the streets. How much our courts would be clogged with hundreds of more trials every year, capital trial which take up much more manpower and money.

As as far the those who don't like the death penalty and think it's barbaric. I only wish you and those like you thought as much about the victims as you do about the criminals. The loss forever of the loved ones and the pain and suffering by their family and friends by this slime doesn't deserve a second of empathy.
I have been fighting for survivors/victims of crimes for 26 years trying to get them access to more practical materials in libraries so that they can help themselves play the legal game. This is one though based on being logical, practical, and patient.

And no two victims/survivors I have communicated with since February 25, 1976 are the same. These people are all quite different in sensitivity, religion, education, political views, etc.

I try to help the victims/survivors speak for themselves. And I have talked to women and men who have lost sons, daughters, girlfriends, boyfriends, spouses, mothers, fathers, friends, etc.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
It's human nature wanting to avenge a heinous crime using capital punishment as a tool for the state. I cannot imagine the pain and suffering this family went through. But I do know this. Institutionized capital murder will not bring the victims back nor will it alleviate the nightmares and daily horrors that the survivors surely experience day after day. So tell me, what will state sanctioned executions actually accomplish? It has been proven that in no way does it PREVENT crimes like this from occurring by other perpetrators nor does it allow our society to progress to a higher level.

And if it were your family how would you feel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I do not believe rehabilitation really applies of these people are on death row.

I changed the name of the first man convicted of raping his wife in MN when I was a Student Attorney. The judge brought me into her office and chewed me out for helping this man. My duty though was to anyone who I got assigned as a client by the managing Lawyers at Legal Assistance to MN Prisoners. The ex-wife by law would have received immediate notice of this man's name change as well. Even some of the people in the legal community have the utmost contempt for some of those convicted of crimes and with cases like Casey Anthony for those accused as well. I really did not like this convicted rapist either but I did what the law required for him. I hope this is not violating any lawyer-client privilege as I am not sharing anything that would not be public record. My name would be on these court papers and the man did have his name changed. And no I do not actually remember what it was. Just how peeved the Judge and her workers were that I was doing this for him.
I wasn't speaking of people already sentence to death and on death row';albeit one could make an argument even there given the number of cases found to be a result of poor investigation, etc.

Killing another person is unthinkable. However the circumstances surrounding each death deserves individual consideration. compare a person who rapes a child then murders her to an habitual drunk who kills a person because of a DUI. What about a guy in a fight that has the bad luck to have hit a guy who strikes hi head on....and dies

One act because of an emotional outburst or under the influence with no previous criminal history may merit an opportunity for attonement rehabilitation.

to suggest that murder is murder and all murders deserve the same punishment is too absolute.

While it is another argument one needs to ask what should the purpose for imprisonment? punishment only, confinement only rehabilitation

Again there re capital crimes in my view given the circumstances surround them that capital punishment should be administered
Old 04-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post

Depends on whom it was really. Some of my family I have not seen in fifty years; others I see daily. Some of my friends would mean a lot more to me than some family members if I lost them to some murderer, AIDS, cancer, suicide, alcohol abuse, a car wreck, etc.

I watched the Polly Klaas case when we lived near by and wondered for instance just how good a relationship some of the people capitalizing on that case had with Polly. And I do not mean Winona Ryder who seemed to really want to help the community. I mean someone cashing in on the tragedy for all it was worth. Some who could have cared less about victims before this happened but who suddenly is on every channel.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I wasn't speaking of people already sentence to death and on death row';albeit one could make an argument even there given the number of cases found to be a result of poor investigation, etc.

Killing another person is unthinkable. However the circumstances surrounding each death deserves individual consideration. compare a person who rapes a child then murders her to an habitual drunk who kills a person because of a DUI. What about a guy in a fight that has the bad luck to have hit a guy who strikes hi head on....and dies

One act because of an emotional outburst or under the influence with no previous criminal history may merit an opportunity for attonement rehabilitation.

to suggest that murder is murder and all murders deserve the same punishment is too absolute.

While it is another argument one needs to ask what should the purpose for imprisonment? punishment only, confinement only rehabilitation

Again there re capital crimes in my view given the circumstances surround them that capital punishment should be administered
That's very true. Some murderers are just plain evil like Ted Bundy, Reno's Thomas Lee Bean, Charles Manson and his group, and others. Then there are the clearly mentally ill people even though I suspect some of these people and their lawyers play the system. Then there are cases where they simply put the wrong person in prison usually because a clique is in power that have little or no checks-and-balances on them. A judge and a group of lawyers in all that takes if these are arrogant sociopaths.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Arkansas rushes to execute seven prisoners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post

My feelings are not relevant. State ordered execution is legal premeditated murder. Innocent people have been released from death row when new evidence has been presented. Innocent people have been released from prison when new evidence has been presented. Since the 70's many possibly innocent people have been executed. Typically new evidence is submitted but not looked at after the execution because the defendant is dead.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
My feelings are not relevant. State ordered execution is legal premeditated murder...
Your interpretation of state sanctioned murder is no different than if I were a soldier in Iraq and I shot and killed a Taliban fighter. He never did anything to me, I didn't even know the man. That must be state sanctioned murder. The Army said it's alright if I kill that person because he wants to kill all Americans and especially all Christians.

Your using all your relevant feelings to make that decision, my feelings are we live in a civilized society. As adults we know if you kill another human being in the State of Florida you're subject to the death penalty. So when you killed that person, you have assumed that if you 'do the crime, you'll do the time'.

I'm glad we have enough grown men and women in our society who don't feel the way you do. If not, we would be in a sorry state to fill our police and military ranks. We have a no-nonsense President, and were fighting terrorist at home and abroad. Anyone who commits a murder on the streets of any American city is no different than a terrorist.

What's the saying, 5% of the population do 95% of the crime. Repeat Offenders is one problem capital punishment can fix.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
My feelings are not relevant. State ordered execution is legal premeditated murder. Innocent people have been released from death row when new evidence has been presented. Innocent people have been released from prison when new evidence has been presented. Since the 70's many possibly innocent people have been executed. Typically new evidence is submitted but not looked at after the execution because the defendant is dead.
This seems to vary a lot state-to-state. Some states have a history of prejudice against certain people being quite high within their legal system and in their communities as well. Others do not have such serious problems. Arkansas probably is not high on the list of states that have had few people found innocent after they have been executed or who are on Death Row.

And if you are member of a victim's family or friends you really want the state to get the right person otherwise the real killer is still out there or could be. Often they are in prison for something else.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Depends on whom it was really. Some of my family I have not seen in fifty years; others I see daily. Some of my friends would mean a lot more to me than some family members if I lost them to some murderer, AIDS, cancer, suicide, alcohol abuse, a car wreck, etc.

I watched the Polly Klaas case when we lived near by and wondered for instance just how good a relationship some of the people capitalizing on that case had with Polly. And I do not mean Winona Ryder who seemed to really want to help the community. I mean someone cashing in on the tragedy for all it was worth. Some who could have cared less about victims before this happened but who suddenly is on every channel.
Rev Al Sharpton comes to mind.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 04-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Rev Al Sharpton comes to mind.
Not at all.
Closed Thread

Tags
drugs, execute, rushes, prisoners, arkansas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.