Arkansas rushes to execute seven prisoners.

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
My feelings are not relevant. State ordered execution is legal premeditated murder. Innocent people have been released from death row when new evidence has been presented. Innocent people have been released from prison when new evidence has been presented. Since the 70's many possibly innocent people have been executed. Typically new evidence is submitted but not looked at after the execution because the defendant is dead.
Exactly.

I wish those who are so gung-ho about capital punishment, would just drop the pretense that is about 'justice'...when it is actually simply 'revenge.'

It really boils down to those of us who believe even one innocent person executed is one too many...and others who think it's just a 'cost of doing business.'

The fact that life without a chance of parole serves the same purpose and the fact that due to the legal appeals process for capital cases, executing them actually costs more than life without...proves that it is about revenge.

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

Quote:
A new study by Lewis & Clark Law School and Seattle University that examined the costs of hundreds of aggravated murder and murder cases in Oregon has concluded that "maintaining the death penalty incurs a significant financial burden on Oregon taxpayers."

The researchers found that the average trial and incarceration costs of an Oregon murder case that results in a death penalty are almost double those in a murder case that results in a sentence of life imprisonment or a term of years.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Exactly.

I wish those who are so gung-ho about capital punishment, would just drop the pretense that is about 'justice'...when it is actually simply 'revenge.'

It really boils down to those of us who believe even one innocent person executed is one too many...and others who think it's just a 'cost of doing business.'

The fact that life without a chance of parole serves the same purpose and the fact that due to the legal appeals process for capital cases, executing them actually costs more than life without...proves that it is about revenge.

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

And there are those who long for the good ole' days of the electric chair and gas chamber. I couldn't stomach watching a person die this way, no matter what the offense was. And there are those who long for the day they could witness such an event just to watch what they hate die a writhing painful prolonged death. Afterwards a few drinks with their buddies so they can rehash more hate towards those who are different then their own tribe. Chemical injection was supposed to be a more civilized way to execute. Seems they can't get that right either. More drinks for the boys ! Another round for our tribe ! Drink to what made our country great ! Better him then me MFer !
Old 04-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran member
Default executions now

Hi, here is a thought on that. It seems there is repeated discussions and anomalies associated with the drugs used during an execution, it is too weak or too strong or not available or not approved, who knows?
The Mormons have it right on this one. About 1979 (+/-) they did Gary Gilmore in with a firing squad. The Sheriff in Salt Lake City put the word out that he wanted volunteers for that event. Well, on the day of the event, there was a line of volunteers in Salt Lake about a block long, all with their .30 cal rifles and ammo, ready to go. It was over in about 20 minutes, no problems, no lack of supplies to do the job. Painless, since the bullets are moving faster than the speed of sound Gary did not hear a thing. Sure there are the few who will take a shot at this, criticizing. Well, it is a fact, so I prefer not to hear from the opposition and will not respond.
bbbbbb
Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 PM

One of the comments is to show compassion for these killers. Ok....here is my compassion....now put them 6 feet under.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Arkansas rushes to execute seven prisoners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
Hi, here is a thought on that. It seems there is repeated discussions and anomalies associated with the drugs used during an execution, it is too weak or too strong or not available or not approved, who knows?
The Mormons have it right on this one. About 1979 (+/-) they did Gary Gilmore in with a firing squad. The Sheriff in Salt Lake City put the word out that he wanted volunteers for that event. Well, on the day of the event, there was a line of volunteers in Salt Lake about a block long, all with their .30 cal rifles and ammo, ready to go. It was over in about 20 minutes, no problems, no lack of supplies to do the job. Painless, since the bullets are moving faster than the speed of sound Gary did not hear a thing. Sure there are the few who will take a shot at this, criticizing. Well, it is a fact, so I prefer not to hear from the opposition and will not respond.
bbbbbb

Mormons ? Cultists.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
bbbbbb
Execution by firing squad - Wikipedia

It is probably more humane than lethal injection in Arkansas right now.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Try it, let us know. Really ?
Old 04-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Try it, let us know. Really ?
Makes no sense?

Topic started by me is Arkansas executions of seven people in next two weeks or so. Arkansas rushes to execute 7 inmates before lethal drug expires - CBS News

Firing squads are not legal in Arkansas as a method of execution as far as I know. Arkansas lawmaker will propose execution by firing squad - Washington Times

Methods of Execution | Death Penalty Information Center

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-14-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Makes no sense?

Topic started by me is Arkansas executions of seven people in next two weeks or so.

Firing squads are not legal in Arkansas as a method of execution as far as I know. Arkansas lawmaker will propose execution by firing squad - Washington Times

Methods of Execution | Death Penalty Information Center

Your post, run with it. I'm out.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:05 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

I read once that the least painful manner of capital punishment was the guillotine. but the thought of it.

I also believe there is no comparing killing in a civil society to that of killing because of a war because if one views killing as killing to be wrong then we ought to include the topics of abortion and physician assisted suicide
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I read once that the least painful manner of capital punishment was the guillotine. but the thought of it.

I also believe there is no comparing killing in a civil society to that of killing because of a war because if one views killing as killing to be wrong then we ought to include the topics of abortion and physician assisted suicide
8 Things You May Not Know About the Guillotine - History Lists

It has an interesting history.

I watched a DVD about an English hangman who executed many of the Nazis who were sentenced to die by the Nuremberg judges. He had been very good at calculating just the right drops of the noose. One big problem though was that one of the people he executed turned out to be innocent. Pierrepoint (film - Wikipedia) Timothy Evans - Wikipedia

These all or nothing scenarios seem impractical to me though. They should try to do the best with what they have whether they have the death penalty in that state or not. Victim/survivors have to accept whatever is the law in that State and hope that the State got the right person. More eyes and ears looking for justice is a good thing IMHO. And logical brains not those filled with vengeance. I know how hard that is though when a dearly beloved is the victim from my own experiences with the Mitchells and their many students and how messed up that investigation became mostly because of the community's need for closure.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Judge halts Arkansas plan to execute inmates by end of month: Judge halts Arkansas plan to execute inmates by end of month

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Judge halts Arkansas plan to execute inmates by end of month: Judge halts Arkansas plan to execute inmates by end of month

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
That's a good move. I hoped some Judge would do that.

I do remember the victim's family in one of these cases complaining that the convict should not be able to live one more day. She did get to voice her anger in what looked like a legal setting. That should at least help her a little bit.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Gold member

Then the same judge should also halt all abortions. One should not be allowed without the other.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Sage

Court blocks Arkansas from using lethal injection drug - CNN.com

Here is another link.
Closed Thread

Tags
drugs, execute, rushes, prisoners, arkansas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.