Booze & Books

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,688 Times in 3,601 Posts
Default Booze & Books

"Take that, Amazon! Barnes & Noble hopes that booze will lure book lovers back to its stores.

Barnes & Noble announced Thursday that it planned to open four new concept stores this fiscal year that will have an expanded food menu -- and also serve beer and wine. But no vodka. Sorry, Chelsea Handler.

The first store will open in Eastchester, NY in October. Three more are set to open at the Edina Galleria in Edina, MN, the Palladio in Folsom, CA, and at One Loudon in Loudon, VA."

Old 06-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"Take that, Amazon! Barnes & Noble hopes that booze will lure book lovers back to its stores.

Barnes & Noble announced Thursday that it planned to open four new concept stores this fiscal year that will have an expanded food menu -- and also serve beer and wine. But no vodka. Sorry, Chelsea Handler.

The first store will open in Eastchester, NY in October. Three more are set to open at the Edina Galleria in Edina, MN, the Palladio in Folsom, CA, and at One Loudon in Loudon, VA."

I have often thought that this is a retail opportunity missed. Go to any large ladies clothing store and you will find our Wives spending hours looking , feeling , touching and then the inevitable "I'm just going to try these on and then we can go" which takes another 1/2 hour. The menfolk can usually be found sitting on chairs near the entrances or wandering aimlessly around looking at their watches. What a difference it would make if a small bar could be set up in a corner of the store, the Ladies could shop, their husbands could have a couple of drinks the store would make a couple of extra bucks and everyone would be happy. We might even ask you to try on a couple more outfits, (as long as you don't actually buy them !.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbill70 View Post
Go to any large ladies clothing store and you will find our Wives spending hours looking , feeling , touching and then the inevitable "I'm just going to try these on and then we can go" which takes another 1/2 hour. The menfolk can usually be found sitting on chairs near the entrances or wandering aimlessly around looking at their watches.
I've always marveled at the ladies with husbands that wait patiently and look at their watches.
How do you get them to do that?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I've always marveled at the ladies with husbands that wait patiently and look at their watches.
How do you get them to do that?
As I teenager/young adult, occasionally I would accompany both of my parents on a shopping trip. My mother would linger in the jewelry department checking out the merchandise. My father's words to her were "Evelyn, let's keep a move on."

When my sisters and I reached our teen years, our father would pay us to shop for him for my mom's birthday/Christmas/anniversary gift. He didn't have to go to the mall, my sisters and I made a little extra $ and my mother didn't get a weed whacker, tape measure or some other unwanted gift that my father thought would be useful. It was a win-win for all parties.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran member

I opt out of drinking booze and reading books. I did it once and couldn't remember what I read.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb;1245***
I opt out of drinking booze and reading books. I did it once and couldn't remember what I read.

Well then, there is also drinking booze and writing books.......

F. Scott Fitzgerald. William Faulkner. Stephen King. Edgar Allan Poe. Ernest Hemingway..............
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

I quit drinking but continue to read..still have a hard time remembering..sometimes reading half of a book and then realize I've read it before! We missed out on renting in TV this winter. Looking like a desert experience for a change. Green Valley in January...
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbill70 View Post
I have often thought that this is a retail opportunity missed. Go to any large ladies clothing store and you will find our Wives spending hours looking , feeling , touching and then the inevitable "I'm just going to try these on and then we can go" which takes another 1/2 hour. The menfolk can usually be found sitting on chairs near the entrances or wandering aimlessly around looking at their watches. What a difference it would make if a small bar could be set up in a corner of the store, the Ladies could shop, their husbands could have a couple of drinks the store would make a couple of extra bucks and everyone would be happy. We might even ask you to try on a couple more outfits, (as long as you don't actually buy them !.
While going to school I worked part time at Bonwit Teller which was an exclusive women's store on Michigan Ave. At Christmas they would make a section of the upper floor a bar for the men to pass the time while their wives shopped. Between the camaraderie and drinks on the house they never hunted for their wives to hurry them out.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
While going to school I worked part time at Bonwit Teller which was an exclusive women's store on Michigan Ave. At Christmas they would make a section of the upper floor a bar for the men to pass the time while their wives shopped. Between the camaraderie and drinks on the house they never hunted for their wives to hurry them out.
Bonwit Teller...I haven't heard that name in quite a while. I think their store in Chicago was in the John Hancock building. I haven't shopped on Michigan Avenue in quite some time...saving money for my future home in The Villages
Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Never knew booze would be a draw to get people to read books. Well whatever works!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM

Bonwit Teller...I haven't heard that name in quite a while. I think their store in Chicago was in the John Hancock building. I haven't shopped on Michigan Avenue in quite some time...saving money for my future home in The Villages

Woodfield Mall is a lot closer
Old 06-27-2016, 08:19 PM

My book club has a wine problem!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMary View Post
My book club has a wine problem!

Are you certain? There's a high probability your wine has a book club problem. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
open, edina, loudon, noble, booze

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.