Bypassing Atlanta since I85 closure thru Alabama going north

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Left TV this Tuesday morning at 7 A.M. to breeze through Atlanta at 2 P.M. Other than a lot of truck traffic, there were no delays using I-75 today.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Left TV this Tuesday morning at 7 A.M. to breeze through Atlanta at 2 P.M. Other than a lot of truck traffic, there were no delays using I-75 today.
Thanks for the update.
I assume you remained on I-75 through Atlanta and didn't take the bypass
?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Thanks for the update.
I assume you remained on I-75 through Atlanta and didn't take the bypass
?
Yes, I-75 all the way!
Old 04-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
This is just a suggestion from me on my way to Chicago - adds only about 56 miles to my trip and I have never seen Alabama. Have travelled thru Atlanta on I75 to and from Fl for 7 years between 10am and 2pm with little difficulty. I just think I might like to stay clear of the added congestion and confusion in Atlanta. Everyone of course can make their own determination as to what's best for their travels.
Thank you for the suggestion. Heading down from Wisconsin to The Villages in a few weeks. Will try it your way...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I-20 should now be fixed according to news article.

Quick fix coming for buckled highway in Atlanta - News 12 Now
Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

On Monday morning, just before 8:00 AM, we sailed right through Atlanta on I-75 North.

In late January, Atlanta opened 12 miles of express lanes in the southern part of the metro area.(I think it starts somewhere around McDonough.)

The new express lanes are reversible, heading north in the morning and south in the afternoon. We always use the HOV lane on I-75, but even so, I think those new toll lanes, carrying I-75 traffic from the south, during morning rush hour, must have helped the overall traffic into the city.

There are signs on I-75 to tell drivers that the Florida SunPass is recognized, along with the GA Peach Pass. I think North Carolina's QuickPass works, too.

We always take I-75 straight through the city, but the only conclusion I can truly make is that you just never know.

Last edited by Boomer; 04-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Sage

We drove north through Atlanta Sunday morning.
It took us at least two hours, due to the rain, road construction and a very bad traffic accident.
Like Boomer said, you just never know.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

US 231 is exactly the right way to go. I've been taking that road for years even before the Atlanta boondoggle.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Default New I-75 Toll lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
On Monday morning, just before 8:00 AM, we sailed right through Atlanta on I-75 North.

In late January, Atlanta opened 12 miles of express lanes in the southern part of the metro area.(I think it starts somewhere around McDonough.)

The new express lanes are reversible, heading north in the morning and south in the afternoon. We always use the HOV lane on I-75, but even so, I think those new toll lanes, carrying I-75 traffic from the south, during morning rush hour, must have helped the overall traffic into the city.

There are signs on I-75 to tell drivers that the Florida SunPass is recognized, along with the GA Peach Pass. I think North Carolina's QuickPass works, too.

We always take I-75 straight through the city, but the only conclusion I can truly make is that you just never know.
We came north this past Saturday thru Atlanta on I-75. It took us at least an hour to go the 12 miles just before the I-675 interchange. The new express lanes were there, HOWEVER, we looked in vain for those signs telling us the Florida Sunpass was recognized.. No such signs. The only signs we saw said use of the express lanes requires a Peach Pass, and there is a hefty ($125 as I recall) fine for entering express lane without a Peach Pass. After reaching home, I did some on-line research, and found NO evidence that a Florida Sun Pass (nor any other Pass) is interchangeable with a Peach Pass.

By the way, this traffic mess appeared to be caused by workers pouring concrete pavement in at least 3 or 4 lanes at once - leaving only 2 lanes open for traffic - on a very short section of roadway. Once we cleared this, getting on through Atlanta, all the way on I-75, was a breeze.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Last week I took the I-10 to 231, etc. route. Easy way to hook up with I-65 if you're heading to anyplace north and west of Michigan. It took me no more time than normal to reach Grand Rapids. I was so happy to not endure the Atlanta mess. Have a friend who is with the Atlanta police dept and he advised the day before my departure to simply stay away because I-75 through there AND the "by-pass" are totally unpredictable. Plus, the route was more scenic and interesting.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Alabama U.S. 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
US 231 is exactly the right way to go. I've been taking that road for years even before the Atlanta boondoggle.
We left TV 4-23-17 (Sunday) heading north to Illinois and came the Alabama route 231. According to my odometer it's 69 miles farther and hour and half longer than straight through Atlanta on Interstate 75.

However, we had friends who came through Atlanta on 4-22-17 (Saturday) and they had a nightmare delay of 3 hours. So.....roll the dice. My recommendation is if you decide on going 75 through Atlanta----go on Sunday. happy trails!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:38 PM

I drove south thru Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. Left a little late and hit some AM traffic. Not really delayed. The by pass was backed up as I continued on 75 South which was pretty clear. I agree timing can make a big difference. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
However, we had friends who came through Atlanta on 4-22-17 (Saturday) and they had a nightmare delay of 3 hours. So.....roll the dice. My recommendation is if you decide on going 75 through Atlanta----go on Sunday. happy trails!
We came through Atlanta on I-75 on Sunday, April 23.
It took us over two hours due to rain, construction and a very bad accident.
I agree .. roll the dice.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Or elect the sure thing and take the alternate with the extra hour.
We are heading to TN the end of this month and will take the alternate route that adds an hour....and much nicer scenery as well.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 AM

We just came through Atlanta on Sunday the 30th around 3 and had no problems. Traffic was heavy but much lighter then the norm. We didn't even use the HOV lane.
Closed Thread

Tags
atlanta, north, miles, i85, i65

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.