Bypassing Atlanta since I85 closure thru Alabama going north

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Just traveled thru there last week.

If you are heading North, I would recommend I-285 West. Normal travel time is about 15 mins longer than I-75. But since all the truckers know about the I-85 fire, they are taking the loop as well.........so it added 30 to 45 minutes from normal.

Traveling South on I-75.........a little slower just because everyone is looking at I-85.

Google Maps does show traffic conditions.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:50 PM

We traveled thru downtown Atlanta yesterday around 11:00am. Traffic was moving well above the speed limit. Chattanooga was more stop and go. Thru Nashville and north of Nashville it was slow going. There was a car in the grass between the north and southbound lanes. The police on the northbound side decided to block the left lane about 3/4 quarters of a mile before the car in the median in the same spot where the right hand lane ends. 3 lanes down to one. This added 45 minutes to the drive. Boy do I miss the old flip page AAA Trip Tiks where you could see alternate routes. Yes. I know there are phone apps but I like looking at a paper map.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Any recent updates on going through Atlanta on I-75?
Old 04-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten Lee View Post
We traveled thru downtown Atlanta yesterday around 11:00am. Traffic was moving well above the speed limit. Chattanooga was more stop and go. Thru Nashville and north of Nashville it was slow going. There was a car in the grass between the north and southbound lanes. The police on the northbound side decided to block the left lane about 3/4 quarters of a mile before the car in the median in the same spot where the right hand lane ends. 3 lanes down to one. This added 45 minutes to the drive. Boy do I miss the old flip page AAA Trip Tiks where you could see alternate routes. Yes. I know there are phone apps but I like looking at a paper map.
Even with GPS and phone app's, I still keep one of these in the car.

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

The Villages Florida

Especially since most GPS' and phone app's will give you what they consider the quickest route (if that's the default you've chosen), even if it's only a few seconds faster according to their algorithm's.

I have had to 'aim' toward a certain town, then put in my final destination when wanting to travel a different route.

When doing this, the new route will often show up as either taking the same amount of time or only a minute or so longer...but is much more interesting/scenic.

Having the Road Atlas, makes it much easier to plan a route to program into the GPS/phone app...than the one it wants to give.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,298 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
I have found a route thru Alabama from The Villages to I65 (in Montgomery) which will take you north to the midwest states far away from the disaster in Atlanta. Atlanta traffic is awful on the best day but diverting 250,000 cars off I85 for the next few months till bridge is repaired spells long delays.

Take I75 94 miles to I-10W..... 166 miles to US 231, exit 130....... then approx 98 miles to I65 north (Montgomery). From there you can GPS wherever you are going. Completely bypasses Georgia.

This is just a suggestion from me on my way to Chicago - adds only about 56 miles to my trip and I have never seen Alabama. Have travelled thru Atlanta on I75 to and from Fl for 7 years between 10am and 2pm with little difficulty. I just think I might like to stay clear of the added congestion and confusion in Atlanta. Everyone of course can make their own determination as to what's best for their travels.
The only issue with the route you outline is US 231 and small towns you travel through for about 100 miles with traffic signals etc. We have tried these routes through Alabama a couple of times and went back to Georgia and I 75 straight through Atlanta on our way to Central Illinois. Given the circumstances, however, it might be prudent to go through Alabama again. Just remember that US 231 is not an Interstate highway and adjust accordingly.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We travel to TN 2-4 times per year via I-75.

The I-85 closure will definitely affect the load on 75 in both directions.

That along with the ongoing construction north of Atlanta will make a bad/but tolerable situation worse....of course time of day is a big factor.

We always try ti time going through Atlanta mid morning or mid afternoon or after 10 PM and before 4 AM.

The bypasses will also be carrying more traffic as well.

Our alternate route north is to head to Jacksonville and pick up 95 then 26 through the Carolinas, onto 40 west to I 75 at Knoxville. This routing adds one hour to our 9 hour trip. For those who like scenic routes the trip through the Carolina and TN via ! 40 is spectacular....right through the mountains.

This is the way we will be going until such time as I85 is fixed.

Traveling between 10 at night and early morning to get through Atlanta doesn't work for me (the driver) anymore. Too tiring and the eyes at night are not what they used to be.

Good luck.
We also travel to TN a few times a year and I-75 have become horrible any time of the day both directions. There is an another way to avoid Atl Chatt and Knox by cutting off I-75 at Macon and taking 441 to 23. You will come out on I-40 at the Waynesville exit. It is a nice drive and will actually save you time because I-75 is a crap shoot right now.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 AM

Thanks very much for this information! Very helpful.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

I like rt 75 atlanta ,but I only drive through 11 am-2pm and I stay in the hov lane at all times.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 AM

We just drove from Florida to Chicago this past weekend. We took 75 and went through Atlanta at about 2 pm. There were no traffic issues at all. Granted, this was on the Saturday afternoon of Easter weekend, but I'd suggest checking traffic before making any big detours. We had no problem going southbound on 75 through Atlanta the prior Saturday at about 3:30 in the afternoon, either. That said, if I was going to be hitting Atlanta anytime near rush hour on a weekday, I'd probably be driving through Alabama!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Gold member

We went through Atlanta southbound from Michigan on Saturday around 8 AM. It was the lightest traffic we ever had through Atlanta! Chattanooga was worse on Friday afternoon. Hopefully, Atlanta will be good when we go back home on a Saturday!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
We also travel to TN a few times a year and I-75 have become horrible any time of the day both directions. There is an another way to avoid Atl Chatt and Knox by cutting off I-75 at Macon and taking 441 to 23. You will come out on I-40 at the Waynesville exit. It is a nice drive and will actually save you time because I-75 is a crap shoot right now.
Are 441 and 23 four lane roads?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I just read that yesterday a gas explosion in Atlanta buckled I-20 and it is now closed.

I don't know the territory so I don't know anything about how I-20's closing can affect I-75 traffic, but I assume there could be a definite effect.

Last edited by Boomer; 04-18-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 AM

We took I-75 through Atlanta earlier this month in a Class A motor home and I didn't think traffic was any worse (or any better) than other times. We did come down in January via I-65 because we spent some time in Huntsville and Mobile before coming to TV. I thought it was a longer route than 75 but it does avoid the Chattanooga hills and Atlanta traffic.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb48 View Post
We took I-75 through Atlanta earlier this month in a Class A motor home and I didn't think traffic was any worse (or any better) than other times. We did come down in January via I-65 because we spent some time in Huntsville and Mobile before coming to TV. I thought it was a longer route than 75 but it does avoid the Chattanooga hills and Atlanta traffic.
traveling north or south on I-75??
Old 04-18-2017, 12:38 PM

You can check out this link to GDT's real-time traffic map. Right now at 1:40pm I-75 looks decent and moving pretty quickly.

Georgia 511

Tags
atlanta, north, miles, i85, i65

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.