closest beach

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Default closest beach

Hello! Have friends here who would like to get to a beach. Anyone know the closest one? I'm thinking Daytona Beach?? Help??
Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I Believe you are correct about Daytona Beach being closest. I do not care much for that beach however because it is too packed down. I believe that St Pete and Clearwater are only 15-20 mins farther away but have far prettier beaches. JMO> Sally
Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Depends on what you are looking for. I love South Daytona Beach if I am in the mood for being around crowds. St Pete and Clearwater for total relaxation. Daytona is closer, St Pete/Clearwater (if you miss traffic) 30 minutes longer
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I Believe you are correct about Daytona Beach being closest. I do not care much for that beach however because it is too packed down. I believe that St Pete and Clearwater are only 15-20 mins farther away but have far prettier beaches. JMO> Sally
No comparison between the two. Clearwater Beach is the best. Head to Tampa and then due West to Clearwater from near the airport on hwy 60.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=&q=c...w=1280&bih=795
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Gold member

New Smyrna is probably closer than Daytona - we happen to like the towns better too (New Smyrna Beach and New Smyrna). Hard flat beach, but we think nicer than Daytona. 4 or 5 really nice, friendly restaurants also. Have stayed there about 3 times. We might be in the minority, but just don't like the high rises and the tourist traps at Daytona (or Clearwater).

Our favorite West Coast beaches are Anna Maria island (not sure I wanted to let everyone know about that one) and Siesta Key. A little further, but worth it. We also like Venice Beach a lot.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Daytona Beach is the closest, about 90 minutes from TV. All of the beaches on both sides are great, and we love Daytona. If you are wanting to drive to a beach, just for the day, and not spend the night, I think that Daytona is the best choice; and there is more interesting scenery along the way going to Daytona, since going to the Gulf side beaches it is mostly interstate to get there. Daytona is flat and level at the water edge, so it is great if you want to go for a long walk on the beach. There is a great casual oceanside restaurant, Ocean Deck, just south of the pier, perfect for lunch, snacks, and drinks. When we go to Daytona we usually park in the parking lot there, for easy access to the beach and the Ocean Deck.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Gold member

If going to the Beach for a day I prefer Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs on the Gulf. It is easy to get to without hitting alot of large city traffic. It is not easy to find so you will need good directions using a google map or GPS. Where it is located you go through some neighborhoods in Tarpon Springs.

There are no hotels and usually not crowded. The beach is located out in the Gulf about a mile on an island and you drive there via a causway. The beach is very nice. This is a hidden gem in my opiniion. If you go there you will go back. Fred Howard Beach is 90 miles from Wildwood of which 53 miles is on I-75.

Link below.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/06_Howard.htm

Link to beach view below.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/virtua...ward_beach.htm

Photo of Island see link below.

http://pinellaspeach.com/files/2009/...h-resized1.jpg

Last edited by Indy-Guy; 10-11-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Sage

Alexander Springs - about a 45 minute drive from TV.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/sou...nder%20springs

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 PM

There's a great Gulf beach only 1 hour from TV, near Crystal River. Take 44 west to 19/98, so south, connect back up with 44 W and it dead ends at the Gulf. There is a pier there. About 1/2 mile before the end of 44 there is a nice little beach/picnic area with a safe inlet for swimming.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

Another vote for New Smyrna Beach but then again I am partial. Spent many a month of December in NSB over the past 20 years. That was until I found TV.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
Another vote for New Smyrna Beach but then again I am partial. Spent many a month of December in NSB over the past 20 years. That was until I found TV.
New Smyrna beach is number one in the USA for shark bites . . . last year it had more shark bites than in the whole country of Australian . . . sure smaller and less deadly sharks but who needs 10 or more stiches just for a beach visit?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
There's a great Gulf beach only 1 hour from TV, near Crystal River. Take 44 west to 19/98, so south, connect back up with 44 W and it dead ends at the Gulf. There is a pier there. About 1/2 mile before the end of 44 there is a nice little beach/picnic area with a safe inlet for swimming.

Believe this is Fort Island Gulf Beach

http://www.citruscountyfl.org/commse....jsp?PARKID=18

very nice and maybe the closest gulf beach to TV.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Smile Siesta Key, Crescent Beach

Siesta Key Crescent Beach is breath-taking--snow white, powder-soft sand . . there's NO other place like this. The 2.5 hour drive to Sarasota is well worth it if you have time to spend a day or two, at least.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongoozler View Post
New Smyrna beach is number one in the USA for shark bites . . . last year it had more shark bites than in the whole country of Australian . . . sure smaller and less deadly sharks but who needs 10 or more stiches just for a beach visit?
You probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than getting bitten by a shark. Plus most of the bites happen near the Inlet so there are miles of beach to chose from. There were only 8 in 2009 according to Capt. Scott Petersohn with the Volusia County Beach Patrol. The state of Florida had 32 attacks in 2007 and 2008 and 19 in 2009.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Gold member

Who says you have to swim in the water? I just like to walk the beach! One time after a storm saw lots and lots of starfish and sand dollars.

However, after checking out all the links, I gotta vote for Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs - looks lovely, and I'm one who likes trees near the beach. We'll be trying that one. We've been to the town - Tarpon Springs, which is fun too. Some great Greek restaurants and cute shops, didn't realize there was a beach, although I think it was a chilly day when we were there so might not have looked too hard.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.