Days at Fort Hood.

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Days at Fort Hood.

Quote:
Something way out of the ordinary happened to me today and the experience cries out to be shared, so here it is.

A day of routine errands led me to the mail box store to get stamps. There was an elderly Hispanic gent in front of me and when his business concluded he turned to walk out. I asked the gal behind the counter for a sheet of stamps and she asked if I had a preference. The various choices were posted under the counter and I randomly said "How about Elvis?"

Hearing this the old fellow stopped in his tracks, turned around and pulling out his wallet said "Let me show you something." He produced a laminated photo, frayed and yellowed with age, and holding it up in front of me said "This is me and Elvis at Fort Hood." And sure enough there was a uniformed Elvis himself, arm over the shoulder of what was clearly a youthful image of the old guy standing in front of me whose name turned out to be Manuel.

We ended up chatting for some time and he told me that the King was a perfectly polite gentleman who was liked by everybody. I asked if he received any special army treatment as a result of his celebrity and he emphatically stated that he neither asked for nor did he receive any privilege whatsoever.

Anyway, you know how once in a great while a seemingly routine day can turn out to hold something special? Well this was one of those days.
A story from one of my Facebook friends that I thought some Villagers might like with thanks to Peter C.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Simply Awesome, thanks.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
asked, elvis, turned, front, counter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.