EBOLA - So, do we really have nothing to worry about?

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Default EBOLA - So, do we really have nothing to worry about?

The news now says a nurse in Dallas who looked after Thomas Duncan has contracted Ebola.

This nurse had worn the proper full protection. But they say that despite the proper equipment being worn there may have been "a breach of protocol" in how the equipment was removed allowing tranfer from the protective clothing to the nurse's mouth.

What this says to me is that if a healthcare worker properly protected can contract Ebola, what chance does an unprotected member of the public have of being protected?

Of the 3,000 deaths so far from Ebola, over 300 were healthcare workers and it can only assumed that the majority of those contracted the illness despite taking adequate precautions.

I hope they are right in saying there is nothing for the public to worry about, but I for one am worried that this will grow exponentially to become a much worse threat than at present.

I can't help but think back to the SARS epidemic, when it was initially announced that health authorities were on top of things and that there was little to worry about and then it progressed and we had increasing numbers of deaths including healthcare workers.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Gold member

You believe everything the government tells us?
Old 10-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

From my limited knowledge, Ebola does seem hard to contract. It doesn't persist very long in the open environment and is easy to kill. However, history would suggest that we are "being managed" and not told the complete story, as you suggested. Unless you are an "insider", it is hard to tell what is really going on. Whenever someone tried to convince me that "all is well", I tend to believe the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray607 View Post
The news now says a nurse in Dallas who looked after Thomas Duncan has contracted Ebola.

This nurse had worn the proper full protection. But they say that despite the proper equipment being worn there may have been "a breach of protocol" in how the equipment was removed allowing tranfer from the protective clothing to the nurse's mouth.

What this says to me is that if a healthcare worker properly protected can contract Ebola, what chance does an unprotected member of the public have of being protected?

Of the 3,000 deaths so far from Ebola, over 300 were healthcare workers and it can only assumed that the majority of those contracted the illness despite taking adequate precautions.

I hope they are right in saying there is nothing for the public to worry about, but I for one am worried that this will grow exponentially to become a much worse threat than at present.

I can't help but think back to the SARS epidemic, when it was initially announced that health authorities were on top of things and that there was little to worry about and then it progressed and we had increasing numbers of deaths including healthcare workers.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Eternal Member

A seemingly minor mistake in removing the protective wear was a terrible mistake. Personally, I doubt if the healthcare workers in Africa have the highest level of protective gear to wear. They make do with what is available.

Ebola is not an airborne virus. It is bodily fluids that spread it.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
A seemingly minor mistake in removing the protective wear was a terrible mistake. Personally, I doubt if the healthcare workers in Africa have the highest level of protective gear to wear. They make do with what is available.

At least as far as we know - remember how it also would not make it to our shores? and no healthcare worker in the US would be at risk?

The problem is "we don't know", "what we don't know".
Old 10-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Sage

I really get.
Suspend all thought, and trust what the gov says. Nothing bad is happening anywhere.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
From my limited knowledge, Ebola does seem hard to contract. It doesn't persist very long in the open environment and is easy to kill. However, history would suggest that we are "being managed" and not told the complete story, as you suggested. Unless you are an "insider", it is hard to tell what is really going on. Whenever someone tried to convince me that "all is well", I tend to believe the opposite.
You cannot be seriously saying ebola is hard to get...
Old 10-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It is hard to get. It dies quickly outside the body. You need a fluid exchange. We can disagree on the definition of "hard to get" but you need direct contact with an infected person and they not contagious until symptoms develop. It could be much easier to be infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
You cannot be seriously saying ebola is hard to get...
Old 10-12-2014, 06:27 PM

All I can think of is Stephen King's book, "The Stand." Very scary stuff.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 PM

If you have ever read any books on contagious diseases and airplane travel you will know that once any infectious disease is transported by an infected person it spreads. Google " sneezing or coughing" and find data that shows how fast and far droplets from these actions are dispersed into a confined area.
Even recent movie scenarios have described in gruesome detail how fast and how unprepared we are for a pandemic of any nature. Movie scenario based on scientific data provided by the WHO and CDC.
Preparedness, means being able to isolate ( self quarantine) oneself and family for the duration until disease burns itself out. Food, water, needed MEDS and No person to person contact during the breakout in your area will hopefully prevent your contracting and spreading any disease.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Sweeny View Post
If you have ever read any books on contagious diseases and airplane travel you will know that once any infectious disease is transported by an infected person it spreads. Google " sneezing or coughing" and find data that shows how fast and far droplets from these actions are dispersed into a confined area.
Even recent movie scenarios have described in gruesome detail how fast and how unprepared we are for a pandemic of any nature. Movie scenario based on scientific data provided by the WHO and CDC.
Preparedness, means being able to isolate ( self quarantine) oneself and family for the duration until disease burns itself out. Food, water, needed MEDS and No person to person contact during the breakout in your area will hopefully prevent your contracting and spreading any disease.

Its so refreshing to hear from someone willing to take responsibility for themselves and not depending on the government to take care of them.

Besides airplanes, I would add stay away from cruise ships. Remember the 'poop cruise' last year when people were stuck out at sea with no power for several days? Just think what would have happened with Ebola running rampant.

Other places to stay away from would be hospitals, nursing homes, public swimming pools, public restrooms, and any crowded event. Keep taking your temperature periodically and report any sign of Ebola.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=janmcn;952017]Its so refreshing to hear from someone willing to take responsibility for themselves and not depending on the government to take care of them.

FYI - the primary purpose of our government it to protect us.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Eternal Member

It is kind of amazing to see the politicians who have spoken out against having Federal government being too big are now saying there should be a "czar" in charge of the Ebola problem.

Personally, I think if a person has been in or traveled through any of the West African countries in the past 45 days, they should not be allowed entrance to the US for three months.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

there is no way the government will tell the truth or the CDC.

The best info is to research for yourself and then develope your comfort based on what YOU KNOW and not what some government and media parrots WANT you to know.

If it in fact is only communicable from the bodily fluids of an infected individual then you should be able to determine your odds of that happening.

Wash your hands.
Don't touch your face.
And all the other usual precautions.

Then write to your lawmakers and POTUS demanding more stringent controls. For example England has banned certain people coming from the infected areas.
The USA has elected not to do so. (don't want to offend anybody or give a bad impression).

One country taking specific action to protect it's people.
The other taking the usual let's wait and see and not upset those passengers who want to come here.

Wait and see ONLY MEANS let's see how bad it gets before we THINK about doing something.

Wait and see = pending disaster!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

NY Times -
What We’re Afraid to Say About Ebola
By MICHAEL T. OSTERHOLM
SEPTEMBER 11, 2014

...... "The second possibility is one that virologists are loath to discuss openly but are definitely considering in private: that an Ebola virus could mutate to become transmissible through the air. You can now get Ebola only through direct contact with bodily fluids. But viruses like Ebola are notoriously sloppy in replicating, meaning the virus entering one person may be genetically different from the virus entering the next. The current Ebola virus’s hyper-evolution is unprecedented; there has been more human-to-human transmission in the past four months than most likely occurred in the last 500 to 1,000 years. Each new infection represents trillions of throws of the genetic dice.

If certain mutations occurred, it would mean that just breathing would put one at risk of contracting Ebola. Infections could spread quickly to every part of the globe, as the H1N1 influenza virus did in 2009, after its birth in Mexico.

Why are public officials afraid to discuss this? They don’t want to be accused of screaming “Fire!” in a crowded theater — as I’m sure some will accuse me of doing. But the risk is real, and until we consider it, the world will not be prepared to do what is necessary to end the epidemic......"

Michael T. Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/op...out-ebola.html
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.