Last minute gift ideas

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Default Last minute gift ideas

Lets toss this one out there. What are some unique last minute gift ideas to send to someone out of state.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Depending on their interests, books can be a good choice and I bet Amazon can still get it there.....or you could go to Barnes & Noble at LSL and mail it yourself.

A couple of suggestions......

The Essential Scratch and Sniff Guide to Becoming a Wine Expert, by Richard Betts. This is a board book for grownups. It is fun and actually informative, too, with a wine map in a pocket inside the cover.

There is also The Essential Scratch and Sniff Guide To Becoming A Whiskey Know-It-All: Know Your Booze Before You Choose.

Warning: Do not give either of these books to any of those pretentious types who have no sense of humor.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-21-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 AM

LAST MINUTE GIFT IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Consider giving generously to your local food bank.
Find them at FeedingAmerica.org
69% of people food banks serve choose between food and utilities
Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
Lets toss this one out there. What are some unique last minute gift ideas to send to someone out of state.
Amazon Echo. Just hooked mine up and in love with it. Will need wi-fi and a phone. If already have a speaker can do the Echo dot which is cheaper.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Soaring Parsley

A reviewer for Wired said, "It's the ultimate book for science nerds who cook."

The Food Lab: Better Home Cookng Through Science ........

This book is 960 pages long (at least it has pictures) and has over 1200 Amazon reviews from a bunch of people who sure did love it. I have never seen so many stars. There must be a lot of science nerds who cook.

It's a heavy one so if you have Amazon Prime you will be glad.

Mr. Boomer really likes this book. This book makes me feel like I am having my head pinched in a vise.

Two science nerds on my list are getting this book for Christmas.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-21-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
A reviewer for Wired said, "It's the ultimate book for science nerds who cook."

The Food Lab: Better Home Cookng Through Science ........

This book is 960 pages long (at least it has pictures) and has over 1200 Amazon reviews from a bunch of people who sure did love it. I have never seen so many stars. There must be a lot of science nerds who cook.

It's a heavy one so if you have Amazon Prime you will be glad.

Mr. Boomer really likes this book. This book makes me feel like I am having my head pinched in a vise.

Two science nerds on my list are getting this book for Christmas.

Yes. I know. Quoting myself is probably bad manners. And digging up a Christmas post after the New Year probably looks weird, too. But.........

I feel like I must try to get the word out to science nerds who cook and to the people who love them.......

The book I recommended in the above quote was a big hit......

But be warned, those science nerds who cook will be so thrilled with their new book that they might try to regale you with the wizardy wonders of sous vide cooking and various other tedious subjects.

Anyway, I just thought I would do a follow-up. It's definitely a niche market book, but I now know 3 cooking science nerds who are happily talking about it......Thank goodness they can talk to each other so I don't have to try to look fascinated.

So if you know somebody who might be "one of them" and maybe is having a birthday or something, I think giving the gift of The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science might just make you look good.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-02-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

Since many of us already have too much "stuff" and don't need more, our friends and us have adopted a "no stuff" policy for presents. We send nice gift baskets (my friend in Colorado always receives fruit from us - a welcomed treat during winter). Other nice gift basket ideas - soup mixes or gift sets with pasta, sauce, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
ideas, minute, gift, unique, state

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.