Moving From The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I've been thinking about this post and have, rightly or wrongly, come to the conclusion that there is more to this original post than meets the eye. If I was not happy here, or needed something that was not available here, the last thing I would do is come to TOTV for help on moving OUT, moving IN yes, but not moving OUT. This website is made up of people who are really happy living here and do not have any interest in moving elsewhere. So what is the underlying problem OP?
I understand why op asked for advice here. There are people who lived in other retirement communities, and chose to come to the villages. Who better to ask than those who have resided elsewhere. Believe it or not not TV is not for everyone.

OP our oldest bought in the Plantation. They love it. Even though they visit TV, it was just not right for them.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 AM

My wife and I were impressed with Del Webb Ocala when we were considering a future move. Better than Top of the World for us. We decided to buy a smaller home and stay put in Colorado for the foreseeable future, but if we were to move to Florida a few years down the road Del Webb Ocala and the Villages would be our top two choices. Del Webb has a preview stay program where you can live like a resident for 2 or 3 nights and you have dinner with a resident host if you want to test it out.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotim View Post
My wife and I were impressed with Del Webb Ocala when we were considering a future move.
Do you mean Stone Creek? That is SW of Ocala on Rte 200 near Top of the World. I know a few people who have gone there and played their golf course. It's a very nice course, but then again, you have local outsiders coming into your community and playing your course and taking teetimes. In TV normally only guests of a Villager can play on our courses. If you don't play golf, then it doesn't matter to you. I'm actually very impressed with what is called 'New Tampa'. There is no retirement community, but it's in the Wesley Chapel, Lutz and Land O lakes area of North Tampa. We've been to the shopping mall called Wiregrass, its very nice there and they seem to have everything.

https://www.delwebb.com/homes/florid...ne-creek-12357
Old 01-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Do you mean Stone Creek? That is SW of Ocala on Rte 200 near Top of the World. I know a few people who have gone there and played their golf course. It's a very nice course, but then again, you have local outsiders coming into your community and playing your course and taking teetimes. In TV normally only guests of a Villager can play on our courses. If you don't play golf, then it doesn't matter to you. I'm actually very impressed with what is called 'New Tampa'. There is no retirement community, but it's in the Wesley Chapel, Lutz and Land O lakes area of North Tampa. We've been to the shopping mall called Wiregrass, its very nice there and they seem to have everything.

Love the look and the feel of Wesley Chapel we frequent that area as it feels like a real place/community vis a vis TV vacation destination theme park feel
Old 01-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

We lived in New Tampa for 17 years.
It does have lots of restaurants and shopping.
It also has lots and lots of traffic!
Bruce B. Downs was 2 lanes each way, now 4 each way.
We were paying a lot of taxes also.

For medical care it is around the corner from Moffit Cancer, Pepin Heart, and hospitals.

I loved it there but would never go back.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
Best weather ever, hardly ever goes under 70 in winter and in the summer with the ocean breezes it is always comfortable. ...
I've lived in S. Florida since 1953. I lived in Hollywood just east of Pembroke Pines for 14 years and got to tell you summers are far from comfortable. Higher humidity then central Florida and those breezes feel like a hair dryer.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

On Tampa Bay is nice, but the massive crowds all winter long will drive you crazy. Have friends who moved to a del Webb south of Tampa. Most places offer a few nights stay to see the community, would be worth the trip.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:49 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
We lived in New Tampa for 17 years.
It does have lots of restaurants and shopping.
It also has lots and lots of traffic!
Bruce B. Downs was 2 lanes each way, now 4 each way.
We were paying a lot of taxes also.

For medical care it is around the corner from Moffit Cancer, Pepin Heart, and hospitals.

I loved it there but would never go back.
I lived in a city that was rated #1 in the nation for a number of consecutive years and the result was that this beautiful place ended up encapsulated in 4 lane concrete. it broke my heart. My friends now tell me the city is no longer the same and i would be disappointed if I went back

This is a story repeated across this nation as it has in New Tampa and one that will soon become The Villages story. We moved here 10 years ago and moving about from golf course to town square was indeed a treat. The Villages has better than doubled since our move here 10 years ago and all that comes with it.

some will chide "well your one of those that claims Í got mine and I don't want you to have yours "........... no mine is a recognition that the people governing such places simply don't know how to manage or get too greedy and such places become a victim of their own success.

Recall the Oregon governor's claim back in the 1980's please come visit our state but then go back home

its not a matter of good or bad its just reality and we adjust
Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Eternal Member

At my age, if I wanted to move away from here, I would be doing my homework. First I would have to figure an area where I would like to go. Look up the hospitals, find places online & go and visit them. Can't imagine coming on a TOTV to get opinions of other places to move to.
At most of our ages, it's a big thing to move. I can't imagine starting over again. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I don't have to worry about moving some where else because the other half has told me he will never leave here until he is carried out in a box!!!

I also think the way TV is built helps us to some extent. We have the ability to use the entertainment facilities if we wish, but we can then leave it all behind and go back to our quiet little villages. Of course, I do live North of 466 which is probably very different from the new Villages, some of which I have never even seen.

We wintered for 10 years on the Gulf in the area from St. Petes to Clearwater. We loved being on the water, both the intracoastal and the Gulf, but the winter traffic was horrendous. Plus, the cost of the winter rentals was so high that people came down for just a week or two so you had a transient population who were only there to party. Then would come Spring Break and that I never, ever, want to go through again. Although, my other half enjoyed the nubile young bodies in intsy teeny weeny bikinis!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I don't have to worry about moving some where else because the other half has told me he will never leave here until he is carried out in a box!!!

I also think the way TV is built helps us to some extent. We have the ability to use the entertainment facilities if we wish, but we can then leave it all behind and go back to our quiet little villages. Of course, I do live North of 466 which is probably very different from the new Villages, some of which I have never even seen.

We wintered for 10 years on the Gulf in the area from St. Petes to Clearwater. We loved being on the water, both the intracoastal and the Gulf, but the winter traffic was horrendous. Plus, the cost of the winter rentals was so high that people came down for just a week or two so you had a transient population who were only there to party. Then would come Spring Break and that I never, ever, want to go through again. Although, my other half enjoyed the nubile young bodies in intsy teeny weeny bikinis!
We also love the Villages. Been here 16 1/2 years. Can't even imagine living anywhere else.
I chuckled when you said "carried out in a box". I told hubby we should talk the Villages into building a cemetery. Then I wouldn't have far to go. LOL
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

We met a gentleman yesterday here in Green Valley, AZ that after 38 years in Bend, OR the city had morphed into something he no longer liked. They like Green Valley with its 20k of residents. GVR (Green Valley Recreation) has set TV as and example to try emulate. My favorite color is still green, not brown..
Old 01-02-2017, 10:19 AM

No one has mentioned the cost of homeowners insurance in this thread, but it is a hefty consideration if you are thinking of moving to a coastal county. In Florida, the wind premiums in coastal counties are prohibitive plus you have to consider the age of the dwelling. If you purchase a home built before the building codes changed, (which happened post 2004-2005 hurricanes), and live in a coastal county, your homeowners insurance could be roughly ten times what your premium is in The Villages.

We know. We lived in Pinellas County before and after the hurricanes. More than five miles from the Gulf of Mexico. House built in the 80's. We left in 2012. For a comparable home value to TV, the year we left, we paid over $10,000 in homeowners insurance and $6,500 in property taxes. We live in a newer home now and our premium is a little over $1,000.

I am free to visit a coastal county any time I want to. I just don't want to pay for that privilege anymore.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Eternal Member

I was standing in the line at one of the drink huts at Lake Sumter Landing on New Years Eve and tried to strike up a conversation with the guy in front of me. What a grump! He had on a cap with a Fraternal Order of Police logo. He said he could not wait to move out of The Villages this year into a GATED development. He ranted on he had been here 5 years and had his house robbed several times. Yeah, right. He then went on to say this is not a gated community and just anyone can come in by pushing a gate button. Who didn't know that when they bought here - especially a retired cop? He then said he wished he had been home when someone broke in so he could have shot and killed them.

I was just thought to myself as I was walking away with my double Rum and Coke, I hope that guy moves away - FAR AWAY!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I was standing in the line at one of the drink huts at Lake Sumter Landing on New Years Eve and tried to strike up a conversation with the guy in front of me. What a grump! He had on a cap with a Fraternal Order of Police logo. He said he could not wait to move out of The Villages this year into a GATED development. He ranted on he had been here 5 years and had his house robbed several times. Yeah, right. He then went on to say this is not a gated community and just anyone can come in by pushing a gate button. Who didn't know that when they bought here - especially a retired cop? He then said he wished he had been home when someone broke in so he could have shot and killed them.

I was just thought to myself as I was walking away with my double Rum and Coke, I hope that guy moves away - FAR AWAY!
Similar thing happened to me when I first moved here. I was waiting to get into Line Dancing at Laurel Manor and this woman unloaded on me about how much she hated TV, could not wait to get away etc. etc. I had been here about two weeks and must admit it was a bit unnerving to hear her going on and on.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, information, villages, knowledge, firsthand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.