New refrigerator?

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Default New refrigerator?

If you have replaced your refrigerator in the past couple of years, I would appreciate hearing which brand you bought and if you're happy with your purchase. We currently have a Whirlpool that came with the house, and I am not going to buy another Whirlpool (and Consumer Reports recommends not buying Whirlpool).

Thanks for any thoughts on your experience.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:04 PM

We replaced our original GE that Mrs Xcuse thought was too noisy and inconvenient with a Samsung and she is ecstatic.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

I dumped mine also. Got Frigidaire. But, had hard time getting it to fix with out Cutting Cabinet top some from unsquared corner. If yours in tight space I would measure twice from all angles see if the one your buying will fit?

Appliance411 The Purchase: Who Makes What?

Go here to see who makes what?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Veteran member

Ours was the side-by-side model that came with the house, which was only 1 1/2 years old. We had rented the house unfurnished for 13 months and the renters warned us that the design of the fridge made for minimal storage. Plus the front of the "stainless steel" fridge had already had to be replaced at less than a year old as it was showing rust (same problem with the dishwasher).

We moved in less than two weeks ago and almost immediately found that if anything, the renters had understated the problem. We dashed off to Best Buy within a couple of days and got a Samsung French door model with the freezer on the bottom for about $1500. We're already loving the increased storage. The water filter seems a bit better than the old model as well as the ice cubes are quite as stinky (though we're still going to get whole-home water filtration from Nova next week). We did choose to NOT have a water and ice dispenser in the door as many folks have told us that is the most problematic part of any fridge that has them. We do have a water dispenser inside the fridge but you have to pull out the freezer drawer to get ice. I can live with that.

The old fridge is now out in the garage to be used as a backup cooler for cold beverages and maybe some bulk frozen foods from Costco's (which I wish I didn't have to schlep down to Orlando to go to!) once I get the outlet wired for that (the electrician is coming tomorrow).
Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

We replaced a noisy GE double door model with a Samsung French door model that we love. It's quiet and stores a lot more.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Have had our whirlpool for 16 years up north, only had repairs 3 times on the ice maker. Repair guy said fridges are throw away now. I hate the GE we have down here because you have to pull out the ice maker storage to turn it on and off. Very inconvenient, but will live with it till it dies.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:25 AM

We bought a side by side at Appliance Direct in Leesburg. They have the best prices. It's been working fine for 2 years and it's a Whirlpool
Closed Thread

Tags
whirlpool, refrigerator, buy, house, reports

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.