Ooh, ick! Sorry Mr(s) Anole!

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

Mine are like pets, they stand their ground and fan the cooling fin at me. If they get in I just use newspaper and guide them to the door. They come up the hot tub side and like peeping toms gawk at me. One took swim with me, but the hot water drained him iof all his energy quickly. I had to quickly remove him cause he was sinking like a rock and preform CPR.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Mine are like pets, they stand their ground and fan the cooling fin at me. If they get in I just use newspaper and guide them to the door. They come up the hot tub side and like peeping toms gawk at me. One took swim with me, but the hot water drained him iof all his energy quickly. I had to quickly remove him cause he was sinking like a rock and preform CPR.
Funny post! I'd like to see a picture of you performing CPR on a gecko.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There are 372 different species of anole. The knight, green, bark, Jamaican giant, Cuban brown are found primarily in Florida. an anole can range from 3-7 , the knight 12'or more. Anole do change color but the extent and variation of the ability to do so differs widely throughout individual species.....yes I looked it up..,,,,,didn't see where they said they were good to eat

Sauteed anole over angel hair pasta and pesto sauce..Hmmmm
How can you waste good pasta and gravy like that.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 AM
Gold member

As a kid growing up in Florida we had lots of chameleons. It was so much fun to watch them change color. Sometime between the 60's and the 80's the anoles moved in and took over. No more chameleons. Very sad!

Both are great to have around to control the insects. We are always happy to have them on the lanai. Don't know how they get in, but they seem to get out again just fine.

Still I miss the good old chameleons.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I'm sure the anole knows to go to a re tail store.
They say re-tail therapy is effective.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I'm sure the anole knows to go to a re tail store.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Platinum member
Default same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
As a kid growing up in Florida we had lots of chameleons. It was so much fun to watch them change color. Sometime between the 60's and the 80's the anoles moved in and took over. No more chameleons. Very sad!

Both are great to have around to control the insects. We are always happy to have them on the lanai. Don't know how they get in, but they seem to get out again just fine.

Still I miss the good old chameleons.
we had the green lizards also till theanodes moved in. my dogs are bad about chasing them for exercise and never can catch them.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Platinum member

They're not a protected species, right?

They are actually a invasive species from mexico or central america I believe.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:10 PM

I came home one day to find a anole stuck in the bug trap left near my garage door. He was still alive and looking at me. I felt so bad that I put the sticky paper trap on a paper plate and ran it under water from the outside faucet. I thought the water would release him but it did not. He died. OK! Yes it sounds crazy, but his cute little face was looking up at me!

I have since found out that pouring cooking oil on the trap, would have dissolved the stick and released the trapped anole.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I came home one day to find a anole stuck in the bug trap left near my garage door. He was still alive and looking at me. ..................... He died. OK! Yes it sounds crazy, but his cute little face was looking up at me!
No, your story about trying to free the gecko doesn't sound crazy in the slightest.
Anoles are cute and harmless - I would never kill one.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
an anole can range from 3-7 , the knight 12'or more.
Just curious--3-7 what? And if the Knight grows to 12 feet or more, then I guess they eat alligators?
Old 05-30-2016, 03:41 PM

I just talked it over with my dog. He says " fun to catch but not good to eat"
Old 05-30-2016, 04:35 PM

Our cats think they're moving toys.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Gold member
Default lizzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I'm no expert but, I believe that red fin indicates it is a male and looking for a mate. The one you messed with like big mates.
I to have tried rescuing one trapped on our lanai. Don't tell anyone but after many attempts to chase it out with a broom-it seems to enjoy that game. I put out a dish of water so it would not die of thirst.
Talk about a fool. They go in and out at their leisure through the screen door saddle.
The good news is they feed on insects so are part of the ecosystem and keep the bugs under control.

IF YOU CAN TEACH ONE TO TALK-IT WILL BE PRICELESS
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Remember to save up those little plastic swords you garnish drinks with and hand them out so the Anoles can fight off snakes!
Closed Thread

Tags
ick, tail, anole, door, back, dog, ooh, ran, front, caught, net, cut, rim, release, pick, thrashing, regrows, make, snack, edge, worried, gave, friend, catch/release, anoles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.