Phishing..warning.

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Sage
Default Phishing..warning.

I know this has been discussed before and alerts have been given as well but just wanted to re-fresh this for all you folks.

Was on my computer this evening when a pop-up came on with an "alert" plus a loud voice saying to call their customer support people and blah, blah, blah. It was REALLY professional in how it appeared. Well I was sceptical and good thing as I asked for his name and number and told the "support" person I'd have to get back to him. We have a computer fix-it person, John Townsand, who I called and was told that yes this is a scam to get money. I didn't give out any personal information which was a good thing. The thing of it is...these things take a person by surprise so they get scared and fall for the thing. Please question and requestion and go with your "gut" instincts that these aren't up and up.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Phishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I know this has been discussed before and alerts have been given as well but just wanted to re-fresh this for all you folks.

Was on my computer this evening when a pop-up came on with an "alert" plus a loud voice saying to call their customer support people and blah, blah, blah. It was REALLY professional in how it appeared. Well I was sceptical and good thing as I asked for his name and number and told the "support" person I'd have to get back to him. We have a computer fix-it person, John Townsand, who I called and was told that yes this is a scam to get money. I didn't give out any personal information which was a good thing. The thing of it is...these things take a person by surprise so they get scared and fall for the thing. Please question and requestion and go with your "gut" instincts that these aren't up and up.
Hi from bbbbbb
Here is a very simple and quick solution to this event or anything similar. IF IT IS FROM SOMEONE YOU DO NOT KNOW PERSONALLY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DO NOT OPEN IT, DO NOT RESPOND, SEND IT TO JUNK OR BLOCK, JUST DO IT.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
Hi from bbbbbb
Here is a very simple and quick solution to this event or anything similar. IF IT IS FROM SOMEONE YOU DO NOT KNOW PERSONALLY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DO NOT OPEN IT, DO NOT RESPOND, SEND IT TO JUNK OR BLOCK, JUST DO IT.

That wasn't the issue with this scam. A friend and I had an identical experience last night. She was using my computer and printer to scan and email documents when suddenly a very loud "Microsoft" warning came up that the computer had been infected with a virus and everything was about to shut down and all would be lost. We called the "emergency" number and were connected with Bangladesh or some equivalent.The guy brought up a screen showing us a series of times my computer had been hacked. When my friend tried to move the cursor, he told her not to. That made me suspicious. At that point, we told him we would take the computer to a certified technician and we didn't need his help. Fortunately, the computer didn't implode when we exited, but now Im wondering if it has been compromised....I have all kinds of virus protection and firewalls
Old 01-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
That wasn't the issue with this scam. A friend and I had an identical experience last night. She was using my computer and printer to scan and email documents when suddenly a very loud "Microsoft" warning came up that the computer had been infected with a virus and everything was about to shut down and all would be lost. We called the "emergency" number and were connected with Bangladesh or some equivalent.The guy brought up a screen showing us a series of times my computer had been hacked. When my friend tried to move the cursor, he told her not to. That made me suspicious. At that point, we told him we would take the computer to a certified technician and we didn't need his help. Fortunately, the computer didn't implode when we exited, but now Im wondering if it has been compromised....I have all kinds of virus protection and firewalls
This is exactly what happened to me and don't tell me I'm stupid as I was suspect and didn't follow through with the directions. I closed down....my computer cleared btw of that screen and was operable again. I called my computer (fixit) guy just to be sure I was correct. This had never happened to me before and believe me...if it does to you it's unexpected. I am using the quote of this person just to share what happened.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

I immediately shut down the computer using the power button. So far this procedure has worked every time. I don't want to take any chances that the computer will be locked.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 PM
Gold member

Didn't hear a voice, but the message popped up...it claimed my computer had been infiltrated and my microsoft system was in danger....I ignored it...I have an iMac....zero issues.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 AM

Wow! There was a rash of this last night during the storm when we are seeking details regarding our neighborhood. I had the same invasive details going on in my computer. Got rid of it but irritated that interruption was going on during weather alerts.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I recently got a "Virus" message too. Ran anti virus and no problems. Computer still did some odd things. Called John Townsend, who takes care of my computer, he said it was clean and no problems.

BUT, I also use PayPal and last week I received a very official looking email purporting to be from PayPal saying my credit line was being cut due to .................... whatever and to click on this link etc. etc. Did not open anything, but bundled it off to PayPal with a fraud subject and asked them to check. So far so good.

I am also loaded with anti virus and anything else you can put on a computer to stay safe!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

I received a similar message supposedly from Netflix stating there was a problem with the credit card used on the account. It looked very professional. I sent a copy to Netflix and deleted it.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM

With all the databases that have been hacked, getting phished is inevitable. Usually the give away is the request for financial information. So much for all the promised security on those privacy act statements.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Platinum member

It is for all the reasons cited here I don't own a computer. I can do everything from my Android phone and so far phones appear "safer" from hackers, if that is even possible. Of course, if I ever lost my phone...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
thing, blah, person, told, computer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.