Power of attorney?

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Default Power of attorney?

I have a legal question and do not know who to ask. We live here in TV and we have a house to sell in Canada, next door to my mother's house. We want my mom to take care of the sale and anything pertaining to it. Such as the surveyor that we need for the land, the evaluation and possibly some repairs. How do I go about giving to my mother this "power" to act on our behalf?
I did write a detailed short letter including the address of the property and our info plus my mother's info. I was thinking of having this notarized in 2 weeks when my mother is here. Will this be sufficient?

Thank you

Jo Ann
Old 03-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Think you need to contact a Canadian solicitor. Barefoot might be able to help you since she's a Canadian realtor.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,677 Times in 5,229 Posts

I'm confused. In my opinion, the things you mentioned that you want her to do shouldn't require a power of attorney or any legal document. All they require is money to pay for the services. The surveyor and repair contractors will be happy to do the work if your mother pays them.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,245 Posts

We sold 2 houses and some swap land (long story), all out of state, without ever leaving Florida, all the paperwork was sent back and forth as necessary, and notarized as necessary, used local (PA and DE) realtors.
I agree with above, simply advance your mother some money (if necessary) for the items you listed, and have her (or you) hire a local (Canadian) realtor to represent your interests in the sale and handle all of the paperwork.
JMHO, not very knowledgeable in real-estate transactions or law.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I do not think you will need a power of attorney. If she has a problem then you can call the person on the phone and deal directly with them.
I do see that they might be concerned with payment so they may ask for a down paymennt,
Old 03-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

She will be fine without POA and you can overnight documents down here.
Closed Thread

Tags
info, house, mothers, power, mother

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.