The Pure Pleasure of Eating

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Email Reported As Spam

a number of posters mentioned eating breakfast at Grandma's. After mass on Sundays we would go to my paternal grandmothers for breakfast. My Grandmother had always spoiled her kids. So we could have any variety of breakfast items but my Dad's mom made him a huge bowl of meatballs without the sauce which cued my grandfather to go down to the cellar and bring back a bottle of his home made wine. As kids we were allowed a shot glass serving of wine
Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Email Reported As Spam

On the other hand my maternal grandmother lived in a rural area and we had an opportunity s kids to take turns spending a month at grandma's in the summer. She had an extremely large garden full of vegetables and fruits and we would go out early in the morning and pick the days entries I can still see Grandma using her apron as a basket gathering fresh strawberries . Sunday's dinner was traditional Italian started promptly at noon and always with pasta accompanied by a roast of some sort. Grandma's lemonade was made to perfection. My grandfather had huge thumbs and so three of his homemade gnocchi could fill you up
Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
a number of posters mentioned eating breakfast at Grandma's. After mass on Sundays we would go to my paternal grandmothers for breakfast. My Grandmother had always spoiled her kids. So we could have any variety of breakfast items but my Dad's mom made him a huge bowl of meatballs without the sauce which cued my grandfather to go down to the cellar and bring back a bottle of his home made wine. As kids we were allowed a shot glass serving of wine
Quote:
On the other hand my maternal grandmother lived in a rural area and we had an opportunity s kids to take turns spending a month at grandma's in the summer. She had an extremely large garden full of vegetables and fruits and we would go out early in the morning and pick the days entries I can still see Grandma using her apron as a basket gathering fresh strawberries . Sunday's dinner was traditional Italian started promptly at noon and always with pasta accompanied by a roast of some sort. Grandma's lemonade was made to perfection. My grandfather had huge thumbs and so three of his homemade gnocchi could fill you up
It sounds as if you had a really happy and healthy childhood.
It's nice to hear the love for your grandparents shining through the words of your posts.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Prefer Top of stove or oven cooking?

Like most my wife and I are opposites. One way we differ is that is she likes most things cooked on top of the stove (grille cooking included) and I prefer most things cooked in the oven, except of course pasta and pasta sauce

How do you differ and what is your preference?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:

Like most my wife and I are opposites. One way we differ is that is she likes most things cooked on top of the stove (grille cooking included) and I prefer most things cooked in the oven, except of course pasta and pasta sauce

How do you differ and what is your preference?
I prefer smoked and grilled, Lila Cooks with sauces. I like what she cooks and she likes what I cook, though not as spicy.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:16 PM

Here in Chicago it is oven in the winter, grill in the summer. Soon it will be more grill than oven!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

I think seafood must have been a lot cheaper in the 'olden' days because my mother frequently made this mixed dish of scallops, crab and lobster sauteed on in a pan and topped with crunchy seasoned bread crumbs. My father didn't really like beef. pork or chicken so we very rarely ate them except if they were sliced paper thin before cooking. We mostly existed on anything found in an ocean. I also remember my mother letting us go scrape mussels off the jetty for our dinner. Wish I could afford to eat like that every night now, lol.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Eternal Member

When our kids were little we actually ate a lot of steak. We would get porterhouse. We'd give the kids the filet part and we would eat the strip part. It wasn't that expensive back then. We shopped on the military base and it was pretty cheap back in the day. Not anymore !
Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I think seafood must have been a lot cheaper in the 'olden' days because my mother frequently made this mixed dish of scallops, crab and lobster sauteed on in a pan and topped with crunchy seasoned bread crumbs.
I grew up on shellfish because it was much cheaper than meat in the Maritimes (eastern coast of Canada).
I thought everyone ate oysters and clams and lobsters all the time.

In the olden days, farmers used lobsters as garden fertilizer.
Lobsters were know to be bottom feeders and people thought they weren't fit to eat.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I grew up on shellfish because it was much cheaper than meat in the Maritimes (eastern coast of Canada).
I thought everyone ate oysters and clams and lobsters all the time.

In the olden days, farmers used lobsters as garden fertilizer.
Lobsters were know to be bottom feeders and people thought they weren't fit to eat.
For Native Americans near the Chesapeake Bay (where I grew up) oysters and crabs were staple foods. They were cheap as dirt even in the 1950s and we ate them constantly. Even had stewed oysters for breakfast. No lobsters though. I never ate a lobster until I was an adult.
I love lobster but I still think of them as large insects that live in the water.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:

I had the opportunity, as did most in my generation, to grow up in a family that spent most of their time sitting around the kitchen table eating and discussing any number of topics. Holidays were especially "special"and conversation extended way into the evening as did various courses of food.

Like most I cannot give you one favorite meal. However one that comes to mind for me is a nice steak with a side dish of pasta and a glass of red wine.

God has given us many special gifts and the pure pleasure of eating is one

What say you?
This type of thread, (what's your favorite candy bar etc.) has been beat to death and is beginning to look like an unhealthy obsession. If it's unhealthy to be interested in living a healthy lifestyle, then this preoccupation is the flip side of the coin.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This type of thread, (what's your favorite candy bar etc.) has been beat to death and is beginning to look like an unhealthy obsession.
Doesn't this thread make you feel good, remembering family times around the table.......and hungry too?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This type of thread, (what's your favorite candy bar etc.) has been beat to death and is beginning to look like an unhealthy obsession. If it's unhealthy to be interested in living a healthy lifestyle, then this preoccupation is the flip side of the coin.
Hi villagesPL: I respect your view if there is any healthy dish you wish to share with us it will be very welcome

Personal Best Regards:
Old 10-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I think seafood must have been a lot cheaper in the 'olden' days because my mother frequently made this mixed dish of scallops, crab and lobster sauteed on in a pan and topped with crunchy seasoned bread crumbs. My father didn't really like beef. pork or chicken so we very rarely ate them except if they were sliced paper thin before cooking. We mostly existed on anything found in an ocean. I also remember my mother letting us go scrape mussels off the jetty for our dinner. Wish I could afford to eat like that every night now, lol.
lovsthosebigdogs: I am so intrigued about what you wrote. I love sea scallops, shell fish shrimp clams, etc wow you must really miss those days. I would have too.

Veal was not costly once and my mom cooked veal at least three time a week when we were growing up on the stove in the oven.

Metrands mentioned outside cooking vis a vis oven given we live in Florida.

Spot on Mrs. Rubicon biggest issue when i ask for a pot roast or beef stew oven roasted chicken, etc her response we have to wait for the cold weather which always comes back to my saying on which day of the year do you believe it will occur?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Sage

My dad was one of 12 kids. I have 50 first cousins (the Italian side of the family). After church on Sunday as many as could make would go to Nana's for a homemade meal....pasta, roast potatoes, peppers, veal, etc. On the other hand my Mom's family is old Yankee from Maine. I loved summer on the rock beaches with clambake of freshly caught lobsters, mussels, corn from the garden, etc. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.