Push mower vs. riding mower. What difference does it make???

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Push mower vs. riding mower. What difference does it make???

I cannot see how grass is affected by what cuts it. Perhaps one of you can offer a logical explanation?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'll take a shot at an splanation. Twice in the same area of our front yard the original landscaper who came with the house broke the sprinkler head on two separate occasions and of course denied it. Luckily I took pictures of the tire tracks that ran over and around the sprinkler head and matched it to the MONSTER TRUCK Riding Lawn Mower he used to complete the mission of mowing our lawn. It was the size of a small backhoe. When I finally met him I asked him to use a push mower for a few dollars more a month, no hard feeling, things happen and his guys were working in heat compared to an inferno. Some properties are not big enough to handle the bigger riding mower. I also like the job that the push mower does. But best of all I like the job that I don't have to do anymore.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Two potential problem with a riding (zero turn) mower. 1) turning too sharp quickly can damage the turf. 2) the operator can damage things in the lawn.

If the operator uses reasonable care there is no difference in the finished job.

I wouldn't want to be behind a push mower in July.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 01-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

No two lawn machines can be set at the exact same height therefore if some of the lawn is cut with the rider and the rest with a push style mower, there may be two different heights of grass.
Also, riders create ruts in lawn in dry grass and worse if lawn is soggy.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

5 to 6 goats or sheep should get the job done with little or no arguing.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

riders are for Big yards, push mowers are for small yards. Riders usually have more than one blade, push mowers have one blade. Riders are heavier and will cause damage if the operator not seasoned operator. Push mower good exercise and rather simple to operate. Which cuts the best and looks the best? The one with routine maintenance on the blades and experienced operator. I see some yards with thick deep grass, most push mowers would have hard time cutting that high and without leaving clumps from the thick lawn. Mulching is the best, but hard to not leave clumps when the grass is overgrown or wet when cutting. Personally I have pushed mower for 50 years hence the nice slim figure! I have also had riders when had big yard acre plus.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Default Lawn cutting with a walk behind mower

Looking for a dependable contractor to cut our lawn with a small walk behind mower. Must have a ****** to pick up Oak leaves.

Obviously want trimming, edging and blowing included.

The leaves do not break down, looks bad, kills the lawn and doesn't allow the fertilizers to fully penetrate into soil.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks
Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKosmo View Post
Looking for a dependable contractor to cut our lawn with a small walk behind mower. Must have a ****** to pick up Oak leaves.

Obviously want trimming, edging and blowing included.

The leaves do not break down, looks bad, kills the lawn and doesn't allow the fertilizers to fully penetrate into soil.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks
I just hooked up with R & J Landscape & Design for my lawn cutting with a walk behind and flower bed week treatments. Very reasonable and a hard working team. 352 812-8467
Richard Davis

Skip2
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The more curves in your landscaping the more damage a riding mower does.

The sharper the curve the more damage.

The wheel inside to the curves makes more revolutions than the outside one that has longer distance to travel.

I eliminated what were so called problem areas in my lawn that just would not get better. Then I removed and or modified the beds to eliminate or open up tight curves.

Problem solved!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Here's the big problem with riders. Your meter box is set in the ground on sand. The more they ride over the box the more it sinks. Once the sides of the box hit the water lines they can break or leak and it has happened.You are then responsible for the repair unless you can prove who did it. So ask you lawn guy not to ride over the water box with the tires.

Tags
mower, cuts, logical, offer, affected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.