Shopping at the commissary

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts
Default Shopping at the commissary

I was wondering what the closest commissary would be to TV.? And is it worth driving. Doesn't matter if they have a PX just looking at grocery shopping. Up north we have one within 45 minutes of our home but it is well worth a trip for us once a month. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Might be worth it if you just can't abide not seeing one ever again. It will be 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way. They are on the east and west coasts and might be a very small one somewhere in Orlando. Personally, I figure my time and gas consumption is worth more that any amount of thrill I would get and any amount of perceived monetary savings. Sorry I don't have any more definitive info for you. You probably would find more info at the Retired Military Family Club which meets monthly.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Eternal Member

We always shopped at the commissary at Selfridge Air Force Base in Michigan. However, we don't go to the commissaries here anymore. Not worth the trip for us unless we happen to be in the area for other things.
There is MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa and Patrick Air Force Base near Cocoa Beach.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
We always shopped at the commissary at Selfridge Air Force Base in Michigan. However, we don't go to the commissaries here anymore. Not worth the trip for us unless we happen to be in the area for other things.
There is MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa and Patrick Air Force Base near Cocoa Beach.
Selfridge was our base also. We travel to Tampa once a month to visit friends so so far that would be our best bet, thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 07:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Is there one at Patrick AFB ? Closest I know of.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Is there one at Patrick AFB ? Closest I know of.
Yes Patrick & MacDill both have commissaries.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Default Commissary

Also commissary in Jacksonville
Old 03-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks for posts, has anyone been to any of the commissaries. We save hundreds of dollars by shopping once a month. Just the $10 savings on a package of lox is worth it, just as good as if I got it in NYC.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Thanks for posts, has anyone been to any of the commissaries. We save hundreds of dollars by shopping once a month. Just the $10 savings on a package of lox is worth it, just as good as if I got it in NYC.
Yes, we have been. Not worth it for us anymore to make that drive with gas, etc. We don't shop like we used to.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks Bonnie. Happily we are still entertaining couple of times a week with dinner parties, gatherings, and have what seems like an immense amount of family. We love to cook and find very little places here to pick up particular items. We will be driving to Bradington once a month and stopping at the Italian market in Tampa. So we can just add the, commissary to our list. Just throw in a Trader Joe's it be a one and done trip every month.

Up north we shop the commissary, Sam's Club, Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's in few hours. Gas is not a big deal to us as long as I can find some quality things when I entertain. Thanks again
Old 03-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

Our closest commissary is the Navy Exchange Orlando. It's just over an hour away on the other side (across the runways) of Orlando International. We stop there once in awhile if we're dropping someone off at the airport. It's smaller than MacDill's commissary which is at least an hour and a half away depending on traffic and construction on I75. Also, they don't carry a lot of the German and other international foods that you find at MacDill and some of the larger Air Force commissaries.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I was wondering what the closest commissary would be to TV.? And is it worth driving. Doesn't matter if they have a PX just looking at grocery shopping. Up north we have one within 45 minutes of our home but it is well worth a trip for us once a month. Thanks in advance.
We go to MacDill every three months and always shop at the Commissary... they carry foods/brands not found in Publix or Walmart. It is not worth the trip if you are looking to save money.... prices seem to be on par or higher than WalMart and you pay a surcharge on everything you buy at the Commissary whereas you do not pay tax on foods here at home.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 AM

There is also a Navy commissary and PX in Orlando, near the airport. We generally go only when we are in Orlando (or Tampa or Jacksonville) for other reasons. Liquor prices are good, the PX not. Be sure to take an insulated cooler with you for the long ride home.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
There is also a Navy commissary and PX in Orlando, near the airport. We generally go only when we are in Orlando (or Tampa or Jacksonville) for other reasons. Liquor prices are good, the PX not. Be sure to take an insulated cooler with you for the long ride home.
Not as good of a selection. It's smaller.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Per an article in The American Legion magazine, you will be able to shop online starting in Nov 2017. You won't have to be a retiree, just a veteran.
Closed Thread

Tags
worth, shopping, commissary, minutes, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.