Sledge hammer to piano

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Before you give up and destroy your piano, I suggest you list it on craigslistocala as a free item.

I frequently see free pianos on craisgslisttampa. Presumably, some of them get picked up.

Regarding why you have had no luck getting someone in The Villages to accept the piano, it is likely that space in the home is an issue, as well as the fact that few people sit around and play the piano when there is so much to watch on TV, and so many activities to get involved in throughout the retirement community.
The piano is in our Ohio house. Craigslist has several listings of free pianos in our area. As we have ten more days to move things out of our sold Ohio house, the piano has ten more days to live. Thanks for all of the advice!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Ask the moving company. Someone there will snag it. If you want it wrecked call my mover or GE's mover they will turn it into splinters for you! Good luck.....hurry up though we need more pictures. Concentrate on the piano it will make you forget all the other stuff you're facing. It will be done before you know it.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCasey View Post
My former neighbor had an old one in his barn. He took it apart, sold the metal parts for scrap, gave me the wood parts and I made picture frames out of it. Gave one to him with a picture of his piano in it and another with a picture of his barn init. He loved the frames and the irony.
That's a great story.

I'm still in trouble with my kids for giving our 1929 baby grand away in the mid '90s. Man can they hold a grudge.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

My baby grand piano is from 1926 and I play it when I can, but there's something about the humidity and dust down here that it seems to need tuning too often.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:17 PM

We posted ours on Craigslist and had many responses. Eventually gave it to a family (via their piano teacher) who had two boys who were training on an old electronic keyboard. Family extremely happy.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 AM

Part of the issue with getting a "real used piano" (I just got one) is the COST of moving it - I got 3 quotes and the lowest was $240. They went up from there. So, on top of purchasing it, you have to pay the movers and then you have to pay to get it tuned ($100-150), at least twice (right after the move and then 3-4 months later). So, that adds to the "Nope, I'll just buy an electric keyboard" syndrome!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

After pledging a substantial donation to my old Rotary club if a member would remove the piano from my house, a younger member accepted the challenge to my great delight. I was going to make a donation to Rotary in any case as I truly believe Rotary does help people locally and around the world. Again, thanks for all of your suggestions and to alert me to the difficulties of piano purging.
Closed Thread

Tags
piano, sledge, give, days, hammer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.