Daily Sun: "NC legislators ready to call off lunch box police

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Sage
Smile Daily Sun: "NC legislators ready to call off lunch box police

This opinion article was in yesterday's paper (June 26, 20012) and I found it to be a little strange. It seems the writer was more interested in using emotionally charged phrases like "lunchbox police" and "nanny state" rather than clarifying the issue. (It left questions in my mind.)

There's a House bill pending (503) that will free child-care workers from having to examine home-packed lunchboxes. Yet the article states that if a child-care worker notices a youngster is hungry or under-nourished, it's okay to step in. For example, a conference with the parent would be in order if a kid gets "daily Snickers-and-Coke" from home.

Therefore, it seems they will still be policing lunchboxes. However, instead of using USDA standards, as they do now, they will use a "Coke and Snickers" standard, as the writer suggests. It makes you wonder where they will draw the line. Which of the following lunches will be acceptable, based on the new "Coke and Snickers" police standard.

1) A glazed donut and a sugary fruit-drink

2) A jelly sandwich on white bread with a highly sweetened drink.

3) A twinkie and fruit juice

4) Cookies and a highly sweetened chocolate milk drink

5) A granola bar and a Coke
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Sage

Whose business IS it if a mom/dad packs a peanut butter-jelly sandwich and a juice box that has sweetened juice???

One real basic thing to consider is if the kid would actually EAT some baked lentil chips and humus...oops...I mean cardboard with mud dip, with some unsweetened prune juice to wash it down.

The main idea is for the kids to EAT the food....before their bodies can derive needed calories/nutrients from it. And that the parents' job.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Senate Bill Blocks Lunch Box Police « NC Republican Senate Caucus

Is this the article???
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Kudos to the NC Legislators for showing some courage and common sense in this matter. When government interferes with a family and parental rights over - believe it or not... "a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice," then something must be done about the ridiculous situation.

IMHO, the legislature showed courage in doing the right thing by successfully acting to right the wrong, especially under the likelihood of there being an attack from the unofficial, self-appointed "FOOD POLICE!"

Yes I did say food police! Sometimes "emotionally charged" language is necessary when addressing an important, "emotionally charged" issue!

So, what is the next step for the pro "NANNY STATE" individuals within our government? Is it to empower the official "FOOD POLICE" with, spot checks at a family's dining room table? Spy on them at picnics? Place surveillance on them when they go to amusement parks or other venues where food can be obtained? I certainly hope that it doesn't come to that, but without people and organizations being vigilant against such acts, you can never know what could happen or where we could go in the future!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Sage

This entire crazy thing started with one North Carolina pre-school and a volunteer classroom mom who did not understand what protein is and isn't. It was ONE incident and not a conspiracy.

It is crazy for this incident to have gone so far and for the North Carolina legislature to waste their time like this.

It is also ridiculous for some posters to get so riled up over nonsense.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Kudos to the NC Legislators for showing some courage and common sense in this matter. When government interferes with a family and parental rights over - believe it or not... "a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice," then something must be done about the ridiculous situation.

IMHO, the legislature showed courage in doing the right thing by successfully acting to right the wrong, especially under the likelihood of there being an attack from the unofficial, self-appointed "FOOD POLICE!"

Yes I did say food police! Sometimes "emotionally charged" language is necessary when addressing an important, "emotionally charged" issue!

So, what is the next step for the pro "NANNY STATE" individuals within our government? Is it to empower the official "FOOD POLICE" with, spot checks at a family's dining room table? Spy on them at picnics? Place surveillance on them when they go to amusement parks or other venues where food can be obtained? I certainly hope that it doesn't come to that, but without people and organizations being vigilant against such acts, you can never know what could happen or where we could go in the future!
They could put DNA samplers on toilets to see just how nutritional various households meals are.

Does seem that Big Brother can go too far with taking charge of others' lives. Give us the information and let us decide for ourselves rather than forcing us to eat or drink or not whatever. Do think Michelle Obama's obesity campaign is a worthwhile one though as long as it stays within the parameters of common sense.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Whose business IS it if a mom/dad packs a peanut butter-jelly sandwich and a juice box that has sweetened juice???

One real basic thing to consider is if the kid would actually EAT some baked lentil chips and humus...oops...I mean cardboard with mud dip, with some unsweetened prune juice to wash it down.

The main idea is for the kids to EAT the food....before their bodies can derive needed calories/nutrients from it. And that the parents' job.
The answer to your question is
"The North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten is a state-run enrichment program to help 4-year-olds at risk of starting school lagging behind their peers. Ninety percent of the children qualify for free or reduced lunch.

The program has 1,100 sites serving 25,000 children and is required to supply a healthful lunch. The U.S. Agriculture Department defines that as a serving of milk, two servings of fruits or vegetables, one serving of grain, and one serving of meat or protein."

For an accurate non-inflammatory report on the event you may read Critics see gov't meddling in school lunch controversy - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

This was a simple error by a single teacher who should have gotten the child a free carton of milk to supplement the meal her parents provided. End of story
Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
"The North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten is a state-run enrichment program to help 4-year-olds at risk of starting school lagging behind their peers. Ninety percent of the children qualify for free or reduced lunch.

The program has 1,100 sites serving 25,000 children and is required to supply a healthful lunch. The U.S. Agriculture Department defines that as a serving of milk, two servings of fruits or vegetables, one serving of grain, and one serving of meat or protein."

For an accurate non-inflammatory report on the event you may read Critics see gov't meddling in school lunch controversy - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

This was a simple error by a single teacher who should have gotten the child a free carton of milk to supplement the meal her parents provided. End of story
Sometimes I would give up on this forum if there weren't so many smart, sane people like you who post.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
No, that wasn't the article. The article I read in the Daily Sun was reprinted from another newspaper. The one you provided was better in that it mostly stuck to giving a discription of the facts. Thanks for providing it.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

If I could be sure that none of my tax dollars are going to pay for them (many who are overweight and obese) to be on food stamps and medicaid, I'd be on board with their freedom to eat junk food. Sadly, that's not the case.

We're always paying in one way or another. We pay for the food stamp program and overweight/obese parents can buy junk food and put it in their kid's lunchbox. Then that same obese family (with multiple health issues due to being overweight) could be on Medicaid and we pay again.

Where's my freedom not to have to pay for the junk food they buy with my tax dollars? When the tax police come to my door to confiscate some of my earnings, will you stand up for my freedom too?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

someone pls explain why this hasn't been moved to the political board...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM

But wait there are breakfast and lunch programs that are provided to children that "qualify". Qualify is the obvious word. The junk is not packed in the lunch boxes. I work in a pediatric endocrine practice. When I am conducting a nutrition assessment I hear that my patient eats breakfast at home then goes to school and also eats the provided breakfast cause "it's free" grrrr

Chris

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.