Tommy rant. Yo God

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
I am sorry for posting such a contoversal post. Doing so, is not my norm. When I first posted my rant on TOTV it was just that.... a rant,and I should have been more specific. Since posting, I contacted June to discuss the ban. It was actually the library that banned the book. Not the school.
The title "Yo God, Jay's Story" had nothing to do with religion. Yo God, was just a saying Jonathan (his birth name) said when he got exited. Although there is mention of June questioning the higher power when Her son's health got worse and medical professionals were not being honest with her. She watched her son die slowly and she needed to blame someone. Actually June is a highly religious person. She plays organ and sings at the church and is highly motivated in other church functions. Faith in God has nothing to do with her story, a story everyone who has walked down that dark path should read.
My complaint is, This story is written from her heart and her shared experiences could help others cope with a similar situation. Banning this book is a mistake. PS. I was influential in assisting June choose a title. I saw no reason of it being so offensive.

YOU have absolutely no reason to be sorry for anything and no reason to apologize. Those who make everything they can into a political statement and some sort of anti rant and attempt to make everyone feel guilty are the ones who should be apologizing.

Making everyone feel guilty seems to be a normal practice today instead of respecting others views and they want to make THEIR view front and center instead of allowing anyone else to give theirs.

Your story was well received and I KNOW you owe nobody an apology in anyway
Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Yo God! Jay

I would love to know the public school librarian's reason for banning this book? I have a Masters of Librarianship and Information Management from the University of Denver (Class of 1984) and find this quite strange.

Most libraries have copies of books like the Bible, the Koran, Paradise Lost and all kinds of others with religious themes.

Maybe this was an Elementary School Library and the librarian just thought this was too advanced for that age group? Or maybe a librarian on a power trip? That happens too but is a librarian's or some clique of librarians' choices which usually has nothing to do with wider policies, fairness, censorship, or anything else that just people following selfish interests.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
YOU have absolutely no reason to be sorry for anything and no reason to apologize. Those who make everything they can into a political statement and some sort of anti rant and attempt to make everyone feel guilty are the ones who should be apologizing.

Making everyone feel guilty seems to be a normal practice today instead of respecting others views and they want to make THEIR view front and center instead of allowing anyone else to give theirs.

Your story was well received and I KNOW you owe nobody an apology in anyway
I concur wholeheartedly with Rags' post. Actually, the fact that a library would ban the book concerns me even more. And by the way, Tommy, I thought the title was excellent and from your explanation sounds very appropriate. No apology needed from you on any front. Maybe those of us who believe in your friend's effort, to help others by sharing her and her son's story, can spread the word through this forum and by word of mouth to those we know who may benefit. Again, I thank you, Tommy, for starting this thread.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I concur wholeheartedly with Rags' post. Actually, the fact that a library would ban the book concerns me even more. And by the way, Tommy, I thought the title was excellent and from your explanation sounds very appropriate. No apology needed from you on any front. Maybe those of us who believe in your friend's effort, to help others by sharing her and her son's story, can spread the word through this forum and by word of mouth to those we know who may benefit. Again, I thank you, Tommy, for starting this thread.
There are over 48,000 members of TOTV. If each emailed this story to ten friends who then forwarded the story on to ten friends, nearly 5 million people would get to share this heartwarming message.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Sage

Yo God! Jay's Story- June Capossela Kempf. Google it.

Still wonder what happened with that librarian? I know there are lousy librarians. There are bad eggs in every profession. June Kempf might just have run into one.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Sage

I put it on my Facebook page. Hope some people check it out.

It just might be that the book did not please the librarian asked to look at it by the author or whoever suggested it.

It looks like a very worthwhile read so I have no idea why any competent and fair librarian would ban it?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Platinum member

Nothing has happened...YET. I intend to,speak to this Librarian in a few days . I And yes, Indy. Sometime controversy can work to an advantage. I suggested she contact one of the television stations. It is really a fine book and would be helpful for those going through the same ordeal June went through.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Nothing has happened...YET. I intend to,speak to this Librarian in a few days . I And yes, Indy. Sometime controversy can work to an advantage. I suggested she contact one of the television stations. It is really a fine book and would be helpful for those going through the same ordeal June went through.
I hope you will keep us informed? It just sounds like some librarian throwing his or her weight around basically because she/he can.

I got a SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) lawsuit threat from the Library General Counsel in Palm Harbor, Florida on 3-2-2004 basically because I pointed out to anyone who would listen that the Palm Harbor Library did not have a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory. The Palm Harbor Library Director Gene Coppola at that time was also the Palm Harbor Chamber of Commerce Chairman. Basically, he did not like me pointed out that he was lying about this link. Sometimes these things are political and or personal feuds of some kind and have nothing to do with sound librarianship. The Chairman of the Board of the Palm Harbor Chamber of Commerce is also a powerful position. I could not wait to move to the Villages out of Palm Harbor in 2005 because of the headache this fight caused me and my parents.

You might be facing a similar situation where some librarian just has a position of power and enjoys using it. Some librarians have a lot of political clout because of the unique circumstances of their environment like Coppola and Palm Harbor. It does not make their decisions right nor fair.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

19 reviews on Amazon....17 at 5 stars....2 at 4 stars.

I hope I can share one of the short reviews....

"Loved This book you will not be disappointed!!!
Very well written. Heart warming. A page turner that I read in one night. I could not put it down.
I finished it at 6am and then prayed for All my blessings and for what strength it must have taken June to write this.
There must have been so many tears shed telling this TRUE story.
What a true Blessing.
Jay is smiling right now knowing his story was told by his very strong MOM.
Licrafty5
Judy

http://www.amazon.com/Jays-Story-Jun...DateDescending

I hope the mention of praying does not offend anyone
Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
19 reviews on Amazon....17 at 5 stars....2 at 4 stars.

I hope I can share one of the short reviews....

"Loved This book you will not be disappointed!!!
Very well written. Heart warming. A page turner that I read in one night. I could not put it down.
I finished it at 6am and then prayed for All my blessings and for what strength it must have taken June to write this.
There must have been so many tears shed telling this TRUE story.
What a true Blessing.
Jay is smiling right now knowing his story was told by his very strong MOM.
Licrafty5
Judy

http://www.amazon.com/Jays-Story-Jun...DateDescending

I hope the mention of praying does not offend anyone
It looks like a good book. I put it on my Facebook page. I cannot see how anyone could be offended by someone praying?

There are legitimate cases of separation of church and state but this certainly does not sound like one of them. Maybe if some librarian said he would only allow Protestant prayer meetings in his public library setting during regular working hours. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen but a book that has prayers in it? You would find hundreds of these in almost any public library in the US.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It looks like a good book. I put it on my Facebook page. I cannot see how anyone could be offended by someone praying?

There are legitimate cases of separation of church and state but this certainly does not sound like one of them. Maybe if some librarian said he would only allow Protestant prayer meetings in his public library setting during regular working hours. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen but a book that has prayers in it? You would find hundreds of these in almost any public library in the US.
I was struck by the moral outrage expressed on here without knowing the content of the book...just the mention of God.

Wouldn't you love to peruse the library for all those words in titles that are not as offensive as God...
Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Great ideas, Indy and Tal - using e-mail and Facebook to spread the word about this book.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Platinum member

Positive reaction began slowly, but WOW has the tide changed. Thanks for all the support.

June would be happy to know the whole world isn't against her.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Positive reaction began slowly, but WOW has the tide changed. Thanks for all the support.

June would be happy to know the whole world isn't against her.
I would hope you didn't interpret my posts as being negative toward the book, the author, or you, because that was not my intent. My initial response was in the form of a question posed to a poster, and was meant to clarify his/her statement and advance the discussion. I am not in any way opposed to the book being in a school library, in fact it should be. I would perhaps question it being used as a text or a required reading in a public school, but not even sure of that stance without reading it, which I have not. I am still not sure what the nature of the objection by the school was and would not pretend to make a judgment without a complete understanding of the situation. As I stated, my kids all graduated from Christian sponsored private schools, where religious books of all kinds were studied and that was perfectly agreeable to me. In fact they also were required to study about other religions in order to be more informed about the world, and that too was fine with me. I have tried to educate myself on other religions as an adult in order to try and make sense of their actions, since I got no education on that as a youngster. Some would have this forum be about nothing but agreement in total, which is not only not realistic, but devoid of intelligent reasoning. I occasionally take advocate positions, not out of disagreement, but in an effort to deepen the discussion, and I may be oft understood as a result. I am of the opinion that seeing and discussing different points of view without vitriol is an effective way of either forming informed opinions, or cementing your previously held opinions. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I would hope you didn't interpret my posts as being negative toward the book, the author, or you, because that was not my intent. My initial response was in the form of a question posed to a poster, and was meant to clarify his/her statement and advance the discussion. I am not in any way opposed to the book being in a school library, in fact it should be. I would perhaps question it being used as a text or a required reading in a public school, but not even sure of that stance without reading it, which I have not. I am still not sure what the nature of the objection by the school was and would not pretend to make a judgment without a complete understanding of the situation. As I stated, my kids all graduated from Christian sponsored private schools, where religious books of all kinds were studied and that was perfectly agreeable to me. In fact they also were required to study about other religions in order to be more informed about the world, and that too was fine with me. I have tried to educate myself on other religions as an adult in order to try and make sense of their actions, since I got no education on that as a youngster. Some would have this forum be about nothing but agreement in total, which is not only not realistic, but devoid of intelligent reasoning. I occasionally take advocate positions, not out of disagreement, but in an effort to deepen the discussion, and I may be oft understood as a result. I am of the opinion that seeing and discussing different points of view without vitriol is an effective way of either forming informed opinions, or cementing your previously held opinions. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I like this input. We do need to know more about the situation of why this book was denied being cataloged, etc., for whatever library is in question. It does not seem clear if this is a public, school, or some other library. It does cost money to catalog and process a book for circulation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.