Transportation to Ft Lauderdale

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Default Transportation to Ft Lauderdale

We are leaving on a 42 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale the end of October. We are looking for the most cost effective way to get there and back. Has anyone used the parknfly? How does it work?
Any other sugestions. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Sage

I believe there is a train for the Orlando airport.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

You may look into renting a car each way. Enterprise is here in LSL. I would think it would be a lot less expensive than parking your own vehicle for that length of time.

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 07-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Sage

You can take the Amtrak bus to Lakeland and from there a connection to the train to Miami for I think 50 dollars a piece. Should be cheaper to get off in Ft Lauderdale.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM

Doug's suggestion would work but it's a bit of a pain to get from the station to the port.

As a 45 yr resident of the Ft Lauderdale area, I'm thinking that the best balance of convenience, cost, and time is to follow Phanatic Luvr's suggestion. That's what i would do in your situation. The Enterprise pickup/drop off policy would fit your needs pretty well.

Another option is to use Park n Go, located right next to the port. They provide a complimentary shuttle service to/from port. Internet only rate is $5.99/day plus tax.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Sage

Take the Cruise Connection bus from Summerfield (by the McDonald's on Hwy 441.

Nice relaxing bus ride directly to and from your cruise line check-in. Round trip fare is $100 per person. I used it recently and recommend it.

No, it is not as cheap as renting a car but sure is a lot easier. I have driven from The Villages to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise and it is a drive of about 4 hours. Figure in gasoline plus staying in a hotel overnight in Fort Lauderdale and the bus is reasonable and a lot more relaxing.

If you do not have friends to take you to and from the bus, The Villages Taxi will be a good option.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby9red View Post
We are leaving on a 42 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale the end of October. We are looking for the most cost effective way to get there and back. Has anyone used the parknfly? How does it work?
We found that a one way Hertz rental works the best. You can drop the car off and have one waiting when you return.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM

Heres my suggestion.
Village transportation to Orlando airport $30 pp plus tip each way
Spirit airlines to Fort Lauderdale 1 hour flight leaves twice a day average $100/each
The port is very close to Fort Lauderdale airport.
42 day cruise!! how wonderful, enoy!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Default Ft Lauderdale

Another vote for Cruise Connection. They may not be in operation during the summer...few cruises in Fl... but the number is 941-256-8762.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby9red View Post
The big red coach bus we saw one day while driving to Ft. Lauderdale. Check it out on this link. It leaves from several destinations including Ocala. Luxury. Bus Travel information
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

All these suggestions are great for a short cruise. But 42 day cruise needs more luggage. You have more formal nights, etc. Our last two cruises were with HAL, still in MD and they thru in luggage pickup and delivery, hope you can get such a deal. If not I vote for rental cars. No hassle with luggage on planes.
Have a nice trip

Please let us know how it went.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will call enterprise in the am. I did look at their website and it didn't look like it offered one way rentals though. The ship dosn't leave until 5 so I thought leaving from The Villages between 6 or 7 am should get me there early enough.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Yes, a 7am departure here will give you A LOT of cushion.
It's approximately a 250 mile straight shot down the turnpike to the
I-595 eastbound exit, then 8-ish miles over to the port.

I presume you'd unload/check baggage, and then take the car over to the enterprise office at the airport, literally a few minutes away. Should be an easy shuttle ride back to the port, and you're set.

PS:
Watch your speed on 595...lots of construction and lots of radar enforcement.

Also, be careful and drive defensively: Generally speaking (based on my 45 yrs of residence in that area) SoFla drivers tend to be aggressive, don't always use turn signals, and are not all that courteous.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.