Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Trayvon Martin (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/trayvon-martin-50649/)

joannej 03-23-2012 09:00 PM

The police botched this one pretty good. They checked for drugs for Trevon and not for Mr. Zimmerman. They didn't spend much time, if any, with witnesses. The woman who owned the house where the murder occurred said the police only talked to her briefly that night, and did not request any further info from her for quite a bit of time after the incident. Trevon went out that night to get the Skittles and an iced tea, because the younger kid he was hanging out with that night wanted a treat. Apparently, they were watching a NBA basketball game together before Trevon went out. That child Trevon was with did not find out what happened to Trevon until the next day at school! It makes me wonder why the Sanford PD accepted Mr. Zimmerman's explanation of the murder w/o much of an investigation as time went by. It sounds like the citizens of Sanford did try to work w/the Sanford police first, etc. before this story caught the attention of the nat'l news media.

graciegirl 03-23-2012 09:46 PM

dillywho 03-23-2012 10:01 PM

I had a Concealed Carry Permit in Texas. One of the first things we were taught in the class was that anytime you used or even displayed your gun (had to remain concealed), count on being arrested and that it would definitely happen. This was emphasized throughout the class.

It seems that the fact Zimmerman was not arrested and allowed to leave has been the whole issue blowing this whole thing sky-high. I don't really know if he has changed his story several times or if the media has just reported whatever. Some of the news people have done some pretty good digging and have brought up some interesting questions and thoughts. I have several of my own.

All in all, such a sad thing to have happen to any child in any town.

CMANN 03-23-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 470494)
Why in the world would you want a current picture? W ould you want one of him looking mean?Love to see what your reaction would be if this was your grandson. I think someone has their head in the sand on this one.The shooter was not a cop. He could not follow orders, The kid had a hootie, and you all know what that means.

There is no reason to believe that the watchman did not follow orders. When he was told not to follow, he said "OKay"

I would like to see Trayvon as the watchman saw him.

CMANN 03-23-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 470525)
The first mistake George Zimmerman made was carrying a gun since neighborhood watch members are not supposed to carry weapons. By doing so, not only is a young man dead, but the Retreat at Twin Lakes is set up for a huge lawsuit not covered by insurance. It's no wonder the residents asked him to move out immediately.

Experts warn homeowners associations of perils of using volunteer security patrols - Tampa Bay Times

Policy of caution guides Neighborhood Watch groups - Tampa Bay Times

Because of the Florida law, if it was a just shoot, they are protected from civil action also.

CMANN 03-23-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 470540)
My whole point"the shooter was arrested" who shot the sheriff.

Was the shooter a legal CCW holder claiming self-defense? Hmmmm.

I don't think so.

CMANN 03-23-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillywho (Post 470676)
I had a Concealed Carry Permit in Texas. One of the first things we were taught in the class was that anytime you used or even displayed your gun (had to remain concealed), count on being arrested and that it would definitely happen. This was emphasized throughout the class.

It seems that the fact Zimmerman was not arrested and allowed to leave has been the whole issue blowing this whole thing sky-high. I don't really know if he has changed his story several times or if the media has just reported whatever. Some of the news people have done some pretty good digging and have brought up some interesting questions and thoughts. I have several of my own.

What would you have a self defense shooter arrested for? Protecting himself. With lack of evidence of wrong doing arrest or punishment would be very wrong.

EdV 03-24-2012 05:42 AM

The true facts in this case have yet to be established. But a license to carry a concealed weapon in Florida is not a license to use it. Here is a link to a FAQ on the use of deadly force for lawful self-defense.

paulandjean 03-24-2012 06:43 AM

Hey CMANN-You write"There is no reason that the watchman did not follow orders-when he was told not to follow,he said "Okay". I think you are missing something here. He did not follow police orders and continued to follow, to get out of his truck, to approach and finally shooting this teenager. Seems you are a little misinformed. Just because you have a CCW you cannot just pull it out and branish your justice. And of course you hear him talking to the police dispatcher calling him the name.Get your facts straight.The shooter did wrong, the police investigating did wrong and the proscutor.Think I would be outrage if it happen to me.

JoeC1947 03-24-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillywho (Post 470676)

I was taught the same in Vermont. In fact, The instructor said be prepared to spend 50 to 75K to defend yourself. Zimmerman should have been arrested until the facts came out. Especially since it's a black/white thing. Hasn't history taught us anything??

janmcn 03-24-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMANN (Post 470694)
Because of the Florida law, if it was a just shoot, they are protected from civil action also.

Gov Jeb Bush says the "stand your ground" law does not apply in this case. I think Jeb knows more about the law that he signed than "the experts" on this forum.

In Arlington, Jeb Bush says

Advogado 03-24-2012 10:12 AM

Let's wait for the facts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeC1947 (Post 470729)
I was taught the same in Vermont. In fact, The instructor said be prepared to spend 50 to 75K to defend yourself. Zimmerman should have been arrested until the facts came out. Especially since it's a black/white thing. Hasn't history taught us anything??

Subject here was Daily Sun coverage.

I hate to defend the Daily Sun, whose control by the Developer has prevented it from becoming a genuine newspaper. However, in this case, I think that the DS has given the story the treatment it deserves. Most of the media has sensationalized the story and already convicted Zimmerman before all the facts have come out and distorted those facts that are available. For example, the media has uniformly reported that Zimmerman was ordered by the police not to follow Martin. In fact, the recording of the conversation between Zimmerman and the police dispatcher show the dispatcher saying "We don't need you" to follow him. The police report also states that the back of Zimmerman's head was bleeding when the police arrived at the scene, which I haven't seen reported anywhere.

Anyway, Zimmerman may be guiltyof some crime, but I can't fault the Daily Sun for not joining Al Sharpton and the rest of the media in convicting Zimmerman of murder on the front page and turning the unfortunate incident into a racial-hate crime, which it may or may not have been.

cquick 03-24-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMF Doc (Post 470313)
This was a judgement call by the police based on their opinion if Zimmerman acted in self defense or not.
I feel Zimmerman was in the wrong once he went he became the agreesor in pursuing Martin. The 911 operator even told him not to do that. What a shame to get killed for carrying a bag of skittles.

The biggest problem in Sanford (and Florida in general) is the inequality of law enforcement. If the person with the gun had been a black neighborhood watch person, and the victim had been white, you can be assured that the shooter would have been immediately arrested and have to prove his innocence or guilt later. But it was a white person with the gun, so the Sanford police dept. automatically believed his story, inspite of the fact that they told him NOT to follow or get involved chasing down a teenager.

I cannot understand how a child can be shot and the person with the gun is not arrested. It upsets me that this inequality is still happening!

Connie

cquick 03-24-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMANN (Post 470692)
There is no reason to believe that the watchman did not follow orders. When he was told not to follow, he said "OKay"

I would like to see Trayvon as the watchman saw him.

It really wouldn't have mattered if the black teenager was wearing a hoodie or not.......this Zimmerman was a fanatic with a gun. A very dangerous combination, in my opinion. Please realize that this is my own opinion.

Thanks, Connie

cquick 03-24-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 470725)
Hey CMANN-You write"There is no reason that the watchman did not follow orders-when he was told not to follow,he said "Okay". I think you are missing something here. He did not follow police orders and continued to follow, to get out of his truck, to approach and finally shooting this teenager. Seems you are a little misinformed. Just because you have a CCW you cannot just pull it out and branish your justice. And of course you hear him talking to the police dispatcher calling him the name.Get your facts straight.The shooter did wrong, the police investigating did wrong and the proscutor.Think I would be outrage if it happen to me.

:agree: