TV headphones

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Default TV headphones

I am wondering if anyone uses headphones or some system while watching TV to help keep the decibel level at a decent place. Many of the headphones I have found utilize the audio output, however, my TVs have optical audio output. I believe I would need to then purchase a converter.
If anyone uses something like this, I'd greatly appreciate any and all information.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:58 PM

maybe an amp like Audioengine N22 Desktop Audio Amplifier would work. I have used it in the past with HiFiMan HE 400i's and a 50 foot cord
Old 02-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

If you have a newer tv, check and see if you have bluetooth capability, then you'll be able to use bluetooth headphones.If you buy wireless headphones that don't accept digital audio (toslink), then you can use one of these to convert digital to analog.
Amazon.com: Musou Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter with Fiber Cable: Electronics

And these are pretty good headphones for the money:
Amazon.com: Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock: Sennheiser: Electronics
Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Might want to visit Best Buy for some advice.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-03-2017, 08:36 AM

I use something like the following and it works fine.

Easyday Digital to Analog Audio Converter with Digital Optical Toslink and S/pdif Coaxial Inputs and Analog RCA and AUX 3.5mm (Headphone) Outputs - 6 Foot Heavy Duty Optical Toslink Cable with Gold Plated Connector Tips Included. It does need to be an electrical outlet as the converter has its own power supply.

This was from Amazon at cost of $13.80 (Amazon Prime).

One thing to consider, though, some audio outlets have the gain (volume) set same as for external speakers on the TV. In this case you get the same level of output through both the external speakers as well as the headphones. This sounds like it would defeat your desire of having separate controls.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

We to have the Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock from Amazon $56.99. They are wireless and work throughout our house. If plugged into the audio output of your TV you need to have the TV volume turned up a little for it to work. We have ours plugged into the audio output jacks on the back of our cable box so that the TV volume can be turned down or off and it works fine.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Try TV Ears. The new digital version has the optical jack. I have been using them for years. Go to therir website. Suggestion, it's a great Valintines Day gift to or from your spouse.

Jim Alduino
Old 02-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Gold member

My husband has been using TV Ears for a couple of years now. He likes them very much.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Gold member

I use the Sony wireless FM headphones. I really like them.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

If you are using Dish, the Hopper 3 has Bluetooth. I bought Bluetooth ear buds with volume control for under $20 on Amazon. I use them every night. I find them more comfortable than headphones.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Sage

Things around the house got a lot better when my husband bought TV Ears. I liked them so much I got a pair also. They clarify hard-to-understand dialog, such as in many British shows. If you sign on to get email from them you will find that they occasionally run sales. Otherwise, they are quite expensive.
Closed Thread

Tags
headphones, audio, output, optical, tvs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.